What's your idea of a minimalist camping trip?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Working as the buyer for a high end outdoor store, I hear it all the time. People talk about going ultra-light and the suffering that goes along with it. That's no longer the case.

My sub 10 pound backcountry kit includes a 15 degree down bag, a 10,000 BTU stove, a sleeping pad boasting 3" of plush comfort, a tent that's dry and cozy, and other creature comforts. It all cost less than a set of tires for an SUV.

To me, minimalist camping is a means to an end. I'm no stranger to luxury camping complete with fridge, RTT, circus tent, tables, chairs, movies on the laptop, yada, yada. However, that scenario always involves two things: A road, which sort of negates the "backcountry" aspect of the trip. Lots of camp labor loading, unloading, cleaning, stowing, cooking, fidgiting, etc.

Please list the products in your sub 10lb kit named above...I am not picking on you but I just to do alot of hiking and maybe just cuz it was 10 yrs ago but I couldn't get what you listed that light.
pack-
tent-
pad-
bag-
stove/fuel-
utensils-
first aid-
emerg gear-
food-
water we won't worry about as it is trip dependant

LR Max

Local Oaf
I haven't backpacked in years, mainly because I'm not around backpackers anymore. Back then I had HEAVY loads, 30~40 lb packpack depending on food, weather, etc.

Now I'm looking at ways to shave weight. Love my Coleman Peak 1 stove, but ditching it for something lighter. Also probably going bivouc (sp?) instead of a tent. Also going with freeze dried food. That'll probably knock 10 lbs off of it, which would be fantastic. Water just weighs a lot, can't do much about that. Would rather carry more than get the dehydration headache. That makes me cranky.

Backpacking for me now isn't about going and killing myself, its about enjoying myself. So I'm willing to carry some extra weight and be comfortable considering I won't be tackling ridiculous mileage.

Now for my rig, I sleep in the back. That saves all kinds of time and effort on setup. Also the portable gas grille is full of win. Setup, cook, done. Quick and easy. Other than that, a cooler, a box for my food and clothes, that is about it. When packed I only use about half of my storage space (below the windows!).

Also the use of paper plates and my fork to flip stuff on the grille saves time and space. Throw the paper plate on the fire, instantly sorted out. Little bit of soap and water on a fork, easier than cleaning spatulas and whatnot.

Please list the products in your sub 10lb kit named above...I am not picking on you but I just to do alot of hiking and maybe just cuz it was 10 yrs ago but I couldn't get what you listed that light.
pack-
tent-
pad-
bag-
stove/fuel-
utensils-
first aid-
emerg gear-
food-
water we won't worry about as it is trip dependant

I'm assuming that he wasn't including food and water in the original 10lb claim. Utensils, well, the GSI Soloist comes with a plastic spork. That, and your pocket knife, that's all you need if you're just eating freeze-dried.

In my experience, the vast majority of poeple bring NOTHING for first aid, or emergency gear.

Backpacking for me now isn't about going and killing myself, its about enjoying myself. So I'm willing to carry some extra weight and be comfortable considering I won't be tackling ridiculous mileage.

Yeah, but the trick is finding that middle ground. My last canoe trip, we brought way too much stuff. Canoeing is easy, and you can bring almost whatever you want. It's the portages that suck. We took two trips as most people do. Then we saw this old guy and his middle aged son, banged out the portage in one trip. Man, that would be great. I started thinking about all the crap we brought that we really could have done without.

I brought a grill for the fire, and it's only use was to cook a steak one night, and some kababs the next. Brought little 3-legged stools, even though there were plenty of logs to sit on. The worst was the 4L box of wine. That's 10lbs right there! Next time, a flask of whisky. :ylsmoke:

But other than that, we actually did pretty well. Took a 3 man tent for the two of us. It's a heavy sucker at 16 lbs, but it's actually a great tent otherwise. We could have done it in 1 trip if I'd been able to manage carrying the canoe (55lbs) AND a big pack, and a second big pack for my wife. But since I've got a blown knee (medial meniscus), I didn't want to attempt that much weight. We did 40km in two days without rushing.

Great thing about going ultralight up here, I never need more than a 1L water bottle and a filter system. The MSR Autoflow system is awesome.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'd love to see the details on this setup. I frankly, can't believe you can have a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad and all the rest of it at less than 10 pounds.

Easy.

Mountain Hardware Phantom 15 down bag: 2 pounds 1 ounce
Nemo Equipment GoGo LE Tent: 2 pounds, 2 ounces
Thermarest NeoAir Medium: 13 ounces

That's in the neighborhood of only five pounds. Add to that a titanium tea kettle (4.4 ounces) , 83 gram Optimus Crux stove, and 100 gram fuel can and I'm still way below ten pounds.

Add to that, a couple water containers (empty), a SteriPen, headlamp, and small first aid kit and I'm still slightly under 10 pounds. That's also using a really nice bamboo spoon. :)

*Pack: This varies for me. If all I'm doing is packing I use an Osprey Hornet 32 at only 1 pound 7 ounces. I also use an Arcteryx Axios 35 pack. If I'm bikepacking, which is my favorite mode, that bag system is about 2.4 pounds.

Food? Mostly Backpacker Pantry because I actually prefer it. I also use Kate's Real Food bars, ProBars, dried fruit, nuts, and other things I like to eat.

Even my clothing is super light. For most trips...I wear it.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/superlight/hornet_32?tab=specifications
http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2011-gogole-tent
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Phantom™-15-(Regular)/OU8439_R,default,pd.html
http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/o...pconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/optimus-crux/

Lance, I didn't think you were calling me out. If you've been away from the backpacking world for ten years, you'd be amazed to see how light things have become, but more amazed by how that light weight driver has not robbed people of comfort.

As for emergency gear, I don't carry anything special. I'm an avid alpinist and learned that all your gear is survival/emergency gear.

Last edited:

Vince1

Adventurer
As with biking, it's easy to become a weight weenie, buying the most over engineered stuff you can find at ridiculous prices, when you can achieve the same or even greater efficiencies by just losing 10lbs through diet. Funny how that is not as enjoyable.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Flounder thanks for the actual gear names & wgt...funny thing is I wanted the info as I am more than likely going to buy some of it and need the info :)
I really enjoy going on the Scout backpacking trips with my son & wife, however using older gear means wgt and like you said, not comfortable.
Looks like time to go shopping at REI
Thanks for the info and please keep posting up actual gear & wgt of anything else you can think of to help those of us out of the loop.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Flounder thanks for the actual gear names & wgt...
Looks like time to go shopping at REI
Thanks for the info and please keep posting up actual gear & wgt of anything else you can think of to help those of us out of the loop.
Lance, I work full time as a buyer for Manzanita Outdoor in Prescott, so I spend all day buying cool gear for the store. If you're ever in town, have questions about what's new, what's on the horizon, or what to avoid, let me know.

Here's a short list of some personal favorites:

GSI Minimalist: You can store an Optimus Crux stove and fuel can in this Pot/cup.
http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/halulite_minimalist/

Katadyn Mini: This is a great desert water filter as it can handle water with high turbidity. It's really is mini. About the size of a whiskey flask. The caveat? Slow.
http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-p...lter-ultralight-series-produkte/katadyn-mini/

Thermarest Haven Sleep System: This is for guys really pushing the limits of weight, but boy is it comfortable. It's a tad confining for some, but I don't mind. This bag is about the size of a Nalgene bottle. The Alpline Down Blanket is the alternative with a bit more room. Jonathan Hansen and I both reviewed this system and we thought it was great. It works with that NeoAir pad that I love so much.
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/insulation/haven/product

If I think of more, I'll post up.

Even my clothing is super light. For most trips...I wear it.

Where I go, not having a change of clothes, and Goretex outerwear would be a life threatening mistake. I realize different areas have different requirements. I probably have to pack almost 10lbs of clothing that I'm not wearing. Extra pants, shirt, fleece, socks, and rain gear.

Add to that, a couple water containers (empty), a SteriPen,

Based on the OJ review, and other things I've read, I got the impression the SteriPen is little better than doing nothing at all?

Here's my list of "minimalist":

MEC Camper 2 Tent: 5.3 lb
Footprint: 0.7 lb
MEC Scout Tarp: 1.5 lb (it ALWAYS rains on a trip)
Therm-a-Rest Basecamp: 3.5 lb
Synthetic -7C Barrel Bag: 4 lb
Coleman 533 dual-fuel stove: 2.6 lb
GSI Soloist Potset: 0.7 lb
MSR AutoFlow Filter: 0.7 lb
Petzl Myo RXP headlamp: 0.4lb
"Swiss Army" knife: 0.3lb

19.7lb

That would be for a solo canoe trip, or motorcycle camping. Both allow a little more leniency on weight. I could easily paddle with 400lbs of gear in canoe. But portaging is the issue. The pack I use depends on the trip. Could be a large traditional internal frame backpack. Or dry bags.

The tent I chose, I went for more room and durability, including the footprint. The tarp is necessary to be comfortable when it's raining. The foam thermarest is a bit heavier, but it's durable, and wider than ultralight versions. Ditto the barrel bag. The stove is heavy, but it's also rugged, and I don't need to worry about expensive and hard to find cylinders. You can run it on gasoline if you want. I guess this shows what is possible with a slightly less costly, and more roomy camping setup. 20lbs is still not bad for a "full size" mattress, sleeping bag and tent.

I've still left out a lot of things I typically bring.

Spot Device 0.3 lb
Bear Spray 0.7 lb
Garmin 76CSx 0.5 lb
First Aid kit 0.5 lb
Lighter
Waterproof matches
Compass
Pack Towel
Sport Sandals
P&S Camera
Toiletries

For dual canoe trips, I bring luxuries like a full-size GSI pot set and dishes. Spices. Spatula and ladel. Basically everything to cook "real" food. Heck, even the "real food" weighs a considerable amount. You're basically carrying water.

One thing that I think would be a really neat innovation would be to make a complete tent/mattress/bag system. Why do you need a tent floor? Make the mattress the tent floor.

K2ZJ

Explorer
As with biking, it's easy to become a weight weenie, buying the most over engineered stuff you can find at ridiculous prices, when you can achieve the same or even greater efficiencies by just losing 10lbs through diet. Funny how that is not as enjoyable.

I think being minimalist can differ from light weight. Just because you are under Xlbs, but you carry 400 items are you a minimalist? If you carry a 20Xlbs tarp and a knife are you not minimalist?

A similar discussion to this came up while we were hunting this weekend. I shoot a recurve and my friends shoot compounds with sights, trigger releases and every other gadget you can put on them. But I carry a headlamp, a spare light, emergency blanket, first aid kit, and 40 other things I MAY need. I am no minimalist there.

I think there are different degrees of minimalist in any category you want. If you have a truck and it has every widget than that is not minimalist, but because you have a truck are you now not a minimalist? I think if you have a backpack, bike, truck or an rv there are different degrees of minimalist for each group.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Minimal:
060-2.jpg

And maxed:
SEOverlandRallyWorkshop2011081-1.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Based on the OJ review, and other things I've read, I got the impression the SteriPen is little better than doing nothing at all?

Well, I have to disagree with those findings, only from a procedural point of view and having reviewed other testing results. I've even had multiple discussions with the inventor of that system.

If you use a SteriPen as instructed, and as most people would, it's well proven to be more than proficient at neutralizing kooties. Aside from the fact they've sold tens of thousands of them, I've used mine for several years now with fine results. You have to take it for what it is, and use it accordingly, but it works.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I think being minimalist can differ from light weight.
Absolutely. My version of minimalism centers around low weight and maximum comfort. For others it's as you say, taking only wits and skill into the wilderness. For my wife....we take more. :suning:

Wyowanderer

Explorer
My idea of minimalist camping has changed, much as for others here.
I was happier than a full tick in my Kelty 3 man tent with my wife and stepdaughter, as were they. We "moved up" to a decrepit slide in, then a larger one, an Alaskan, a Hallmark popup, a huge Red Dale, and now I'm back to a smaller camper, midway between the smallest and the next size.
Lots of fun was had when all we had was a tent, and I can't honestly say that the bigger rigs added much to my experience other than convenience.
The current camper is just the right size, with a furnace, bed, and little else.

Maybe four years ago I junked the Red Dale-it had major structural problems due to rot- and bought a big canvas tent. It added even more complication (heavy, time consuming to set up), so I took the passenger and rear seats from my '83 Rabbit, pared my tool kit to the minimum, took my campstove and other stuff, and took to the road (and offroad) for ten days. It was a great time.

So that's my answer. I like the truck, but the Rabbit works well in a pinch, with little inconvenience. And I'm not exactly a young guy any more. :)

Last edited:
...so I took the passenger and rear seats from my '83 Rabbit, pared my tool kit to the minimum, took my campstove and other stuff, and took to the road (and offroad) for ten days. It was a great time.:)

In the 1990s a friend of mine would take months long road trips in his NEW Honda Civic four door, which he had heavily converted to be a mini camper.

He removed all seats except for the driver's, and built a sleeping deck in the entire empty space, with below deck storage, and clip-on window shades all around. I wish I had photos of it.

He's a short, petite guy, so it worked great for him. He was a skydiver, and would live out of it at skydive centers where he'd take showers and play. That little Honda was like a space capsule.

I think being minimalist can differ from light weight....
I think there are different degrees of minimalist in any category you want.... I think if you have a backpack, bike, truck or an rv there are different degrees of minimalist for each group.

Yes indeed, I agree. That was my central curiosity when starting the thread; minimalism is relative, so what are the relative observations from these different "camps"? There's been some good stuff here.

As a 4x4 car camper, the one thing that makes me swing from "bring the pizza maker and three-burner stove!" to "PBJ and crackers!" is the hassle factor. Every so often I just get fed up with all the crap I have to try to remember to bring. As the pendulum swings...!

I love seeing all these perspectives, and I continue to enjoy this thread! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier