What's your idea of a minimalist camping trip?

I was on a large motorcycle ride/adventure this year, and two guys drove all the way from Boston to Ontario to attend this thing. Between them they brought 1 tent, two sleeping bags, and a frying pan. That's about it. I don't think any spare clothes, and their riding gear wasn't very good. One of them was wearing jeans and a jean jacket or something like that. And he was riding a very old Honda XL350. It rained all 3 days, so they were wet and cold for most of it. At one point, the SHOE LACES of his work boots got caught in the chain and almost took his foot off. The Honda was leaking oil, so they kept on having to stop to fill it up. They had to stop at a grocery store every night, and I'm sure they must have been bumming equipment and supplies off other people. On the 3rd day, the Honda engine blew up. His buddy suggested he kick it over into the ditch and set fire to it and catch a Greyhound home. Luckily he was able to get a lift from somebody else who'd trailered his bike up to the event. The guy graciously drove the final 3 hours back to his truck, then came back to pick the guy and his bike up, before heading south again.

There's a limit to how far you can take the minimalist thing before you endanger yourself, annoy those you are with, and don't actually have that much fun.

mesha

Observer
I have it down to 17 total pounds of gear including food water and backpack. I am still very comfortable and have all needed equipment.

usually I load my truck up with way too much crap.

When I was younger minimalist was a sleeping bag, a screwdriver to cook hot dogs on and my jeep.

ssssnake529

Explorer
I did a 3 day, 50 mile trip 2 weeks ago. 4 mountain passes at about 12,000 feet. 15.5 pounds total pack weight including food and water.

Umnak

Adventurer
ultra-light camping

Interesting discussion, and one I've been thinking about since we bought our 4Runner with the idea of doing one road trip a summer in the NWT or Yukon.

My wife and I do a lot of long distance sea-kayaking here in Southeast Alaska, and we adhere to the same ultra-light approach we use for backpacking. Living in a cold rainforest adds a couple of pounds to the base weight of those farther south, but essentially our skin out weight in the fall and spring is around 16 pounds with food. Winter adds a few pounds and moves us into a floorless pyramid tarp (9'x9' at 26 ounces) instead of the 14 ounce 10x10 tarp. We use 6 oz bivy sacks year round.

We paddle from April through October. For a sea-kayak 150 - 400 mile (1-2 weeks) kayak trip we add a a kitchen tarp, the water safety and kayak gear. We do carry a shot gun if its just the two of us paddling around the Brown Bear Islands of Admiralty, Chicagof or Baranof. Probably another 15 lbs with the dry suits, paddles, etc.

On our first road trip from Seattle to the ferry at Skagway, we brought way too much stuff, including a tent! Found out fast that if we set the tarp we could keep our stuff outside of the vehicle and sleep inside.

So, I've been giving a lot of thought to how we approach next summer's trip to Inuvik on the Dempster Highway. I'm leaning toward using the gear we bring for backpacking, plus some sort of table and, perhaps, chairs -- it always seems easy to find comfortable spots to sit and prep dinner in the forest and beaches here, but that isn't the case in the arctic.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

This is a link to our photographs of trips out of Juneau http://www.flickr.com/photos/umnak/ though you are best off looking at the sets and avoiding a number of pages from a recent trip back east.

Last edited:
From grunt to runt

Wow. How times have changed. When with the 173rd Airborne in Central Highlands in Vietnam, would sometimes go for two days on a can
of crackers and peanut butter and drink rice paddy water. Now I am like a good percent of all of you. Waterproof tent, good air mattress,
plenty of food and beer. Like the saying goes, "did my time in hell, now just want a little piece of heaven.":wings:

Elseanno

Motorcycle camping

When I camp on motorcycle trips the only camping specific gear I bring is:

Tent
Sleeping pad or air mattress
Sleeping bag

I don't cook on these trips and rarely eat in camp. I always have at least a Powerbar on the bike on these trips but generally eat out as I'm riding all day everyday.

On the bike I carry clothes, flashlights, knife, misc. repair materials, first aid kit, sunscreen, Spot locator and cell phone. Also swim trunks and a towel. Sometimes you feel like you've been in a sauna (full gear) for hours and the river along the road is just too tempting.

Elseanno

toymaster

Explorer
Old thread but wth. I have the same core gear each time I go out that is light weight, highest quality, and life sustaining. I bought most of it over 10 make that 13 years ago. Twenty-five pounds of gear/food in my backpack are good for 5-7days without having to rely on subsistence gathering. If my trip is with a vic then I take more, why not, but I have my lightweight survival items always there if I have to hoof it out. The rule is each person is allotted what gear the can carry and all gear stays out of the passenger area of the vic.

I also have a 35' RV that I could and have lived out of which includes everything along with the kitchen sink. Once again all gear stays out of the passenger area. The art is knowing what to take and what is just fluff you will not use. The only way I have found is to go camping in the method chose, any gear you do not use take it out the next time. On the other hand, if you think of something you need write it down to bring next time. After a few trips you are trimmed down to your personal comfort level.

The key is not over packing for your mode of transportation. 100 lbs of gear in a vic is very comfortable while on your back not so much.

Route55

Adventurer
Well, I've done everything from passing out (drunk?) in nothing but my jeans to a class A motorhome.

Probably the most comfortable minimalist deal I had was a string of beater trucks and SUVs I'd just curl up in the back with a cooler, some junk food, and a sleeping bag.

My favorite in the past was my rotted out 66 Chevy panel truck. Tons of room, great mileage and stupid simple. I traded some stuff for it, so it was near free. I used to bomb around in it and camp out of the back. I loved not having to set up a tent in the rain. With my Arctic Sleeping bag (found in near new condition laying in the road years ago) I was quite comfy.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
22lbs is as light as I can get my bag, water included even if you filter water as you go, it is still nice to walk away each time with a minimum of 32oz. of water. You never know if that next spot will be dry or not. Not sure about some of the real ultra-light weight claims as I have lightweight gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94