5th gen trail edition or 100 series cruiser? I can't figure it out.

SYVADV

I have a 2010 4Runner Trail with about 25k miles now and have had a 100 Series, FZJ80, BJ42, FJ62 and FJ40. Of all of the vehicles, the Trail gets the best mpg (18.5 mpg combined), will go absolutely anywhere and has had zero problems. In my opinion, the 100 Series is a bit large to take on some of the more narrow trails and the gas mileage is horrible. You can get a Trail with a 125k mile warranty for about $1000 and a low interest rate as compared to a used vehicle interest rate and no warranty with pretty hefty repair bills. All great vehicles, just different.

Falkon

Adventurer
Don't buy new, especially if you plan to take it off highway. Those inevetible scratches and dents will hurt alot less if it is pre-loved. Buying a new car is the worst investment you can make...next to Enron. Hell, for the money, I'd even throw in a good, clean, maintained, low mileage 80 into the equation and spend the money you save on all the upgrades you want/will want to do. But that is just one Georgia Boy's opinion.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!

CB.

nickw

Adventurer
Great Warranty

I have a 2010 4Runner Trail with about 25k miles now and have had a 100 Series, FZJ80, BJ42, FJ62 and FJ40. Of all of the vehicles, the Trail gets the best mpg (18.5 mpg combined), will go absolutely anywhere and has had zero problems. In my opinion, the 100 Series is a bit large to take on some of the more narrow trails and the gas mileage is horrible. You can get a Trail with a 125k mile warranty for about $1000 and a low interest rate as compared to a used vehicle interest rate and no warranty with pretty hefty repair bills. All great vehicles, just different.

Can't complain with a warranty like that! The local dealer here in Oregon is offering a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty...included with sale price.

joneseyyy

Explorer
Picked up my 2010 trail with 14k on the clock and 100k bumper to bumper in November of last year for ~30K, you can find deals if you are willing to travel. Flew up from VA to NY on 2 days notice to snag mine.

Last edited:

cnielsen4130

Just an update... I pulled the trigger on a 2011 silver trail with KDSS and nav (could do without the nav... But it wasn't an option) I pick it up tomorrow afternoon...

Hafwit

Adventurer
You will love it! I have one in Mag. Grey and I am starting to do the modifications now.

Cheers,
Greg

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Find myself in the same boat. I've been thinking of a new purchase (new to me anyway) and I find myself in a similar situation as the OP. I'm between the 5th Gen 4Runner (Trail Premium), a Lexus GX460 and an LX470/LC100. It looks like the OP parted with his Trail after three years; hopefully he can shed some light on why but looking at his profile he's been MIA for a while. Anyone go with one over the other recently and if so why?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Some thoughts regarding my 2016 TRD Pro, and selling my 100 series:

I'm really enjoying this truck. It's smaller than my 100 series; but not by much. For me, it's the perfect daily driver and travel rig so far. Driving it is more nimble than the 100 series, and just as comfortable. I had heard people say the TRD/Bilstein suspension was too soft, but I think it rides just like my other Cruisers with OME heavy springs/firm shocks. Firm but not jarring by any means. Suspension handles rocks, sand, and washboard with ease. Steering is precise, with no obvious under or over steer; although I'm sure in 2WD I could drift the rear if I wished. The Terra Grapplers, which are Standard Load rated, have held up fine, even being aired down; showing no slices or chunks out of the sidewalls or tread.

I'm particularly excited about fuel range. My cruiser used to get 10-11 mpg in town, 14ish on the highway. I'm not too concerned about fuel prices, but the ability to travel farther without fuel worries is what I really like. The Runner is getting 17 in town, 22 on the highway. A huge improvement in range (almost 400 miles a tank as compared to 250 in the Cruiser).

Crawl control, while being noisy (brakes are chattering) and atrac work really well. The rear locker/front atrac is best of all worlds, in my opinion. Great traction and no loss of steering control.

It's got about 300 miles of dirt on it so far, and the size is an advantage on tight Arizona trails; although in my case the dark color is going to take some extra care. I do like the fact that it's low key...all the goodies aren't very obvious. I think this will be a definite advantage for my Mexico travels.

Heated windshield and seats are a must for Flagstaff winters, and the interior has been easy to clean from the 10 year old typical kiddo stuff.

I don't miss anything from my Cruiser. Only issue I've had is the non-matching spare tire from the factory, which was an easy fix...just ran $400 or so for a new tire and wheel.

(none)

Adventurer
Find myself in the same boat. I've been thinking of a new purchase (new to me anyway) and I find myself in a similar situation as the OP. I'm between the 5th Gen 4Runner (Trail Premium), a Lexus GX460 and an LX470/LC100. It looks like the OP parted with his Trail after three years; hopefully he can shed some light on why but looking at his profile he's been MIA for a while. Anyone go with one over the other recently and if so why?

I was pretty much in the same boat recently. I decided my modded 2dr Wrangler Rubicon wasn't cutting it any more. I originally had a '96 LC80 i loved, wheeled it, drove it everywhere, it was great and comfortable. I decided i wanted some more of that. I started looking at LC100s/LC470s. Then i included GX470 and 460s. Then i started looking at 4Runners. I ended up with a new Trail Premium 4Runner for a few reasons:

-I couldn't find any 100s/ Lexus twins that were that greatly priced without a ton of miles. I understand they "run forever", but stuff still wears out and i'm at a point right now where i have enough other stuff to work on than to get another vehicle that i'll immediately have a list of items to replace or repair.

-For the price of gently used 460, you can get a new 4runner

-The new 4runner is almost the exact same exterior dimensions as the LC80. My, how these things have grown. Lots more power than the LC80 ever had, better gas mileage by far, many times better brakes, more comfortable and about as capable for what i'd be doing with it. I refer to it as a mini-land cruiser.

-I couldn't find a slightly used 4runner without a bunch of miles (a dealer a few hours away has a '15 TRD Pro with 50k miles listed for $43k!!!), ended up getting new Trail for less than some used ones were listed for.

-Oh, and the trail/TRD still have a rear diff locker. Not available on the newer land cruisers or the Lexi. I know people are all about the a-trac, and it's cool and is neat. But i prefer to have the locker and the (mostly manual) transfer case.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Some thoughts regarding my 2016 TRD Pro, and selling my 100 series:

I'm really enjoying this truck. It's smaller than my 100 series; but not by much. For me, it's the perfect daily driver and travel rig so far. Driving it is more nimble than the 100 series, and just as comfortable. I had heard people say the TRD/Bilstein suspension was too soft, but I think it rides just like my other Cruisers with OME heavy springs/firm shocks. Firm but not jarring by any means. Suspension handles rocks, sand, and washboard with ease. Steering is precise, with no obvious under or over steer; although I'm sure in 2WD I could drift the rear if I wished. The Terra Grapplers, which are Standard Load rated, have held up fine, even being aired down; showing no slices or chunks out of the sidewalls or tread.

I'm particularly excited about fuel range. My cruiser used to get 10-11 mpg in town, 14ish on the highway. I'm not too concerned about fuel prices, but the ability to travel farther without fuel worries is what I really like. The Runner is getting 17 in town, 22 on the highway. A huge improvement in range (almost 400 miles a tank as compared to 250 in the Cruiser).

Crawl control, while being noisy (brakes are chattering) and atrac work really well. The rear locker/front atrac is best of all worlds, in my opinion. Great traction and no loss of steering control.

I don't miss anything from my Cruiser.

Hltoppr thanks for the insight! It's good to hear your firsthand impressions on the two vehicles. If anything I'd get a Trail or Trail Premium and build it from there. Looking forward to more from your build. Do you have a link to your 100 build? Did you consider the KO2s as well for tires?

I was pretty much in the same boat recently. I decided my modded 2dr Wrangler Rubicon wasn't cutting it any more. I originally had a '96 LC80 i loved, wheeled it, drove it everywhere, it was great and comfortable. I decided i wanted some more of that. I started looking at LC100s/LC470s. Then i included GX470 and 460s. Then i started looking at 4Runners. I ended up with a new Trail Premium 4Runner for a few reasons:

-I couldn't find any 100s/ Lexus twins that were that greatly priced without a ton of miles. I understand they "run forever", but stuff still wears out and i'm at a point right now where i have enough other stuff to work on than to get another vehicle that i'll immediately have a list of items to replace or repair.

-The new 4runner is almost the exact same exterior dimensions as the LC80. My, how these things have grown. Lots more power than the LC80 ever had, better gas mileage by far, many times better brakes, more comfortable and about as capable for what i'd be doing with it. I refer to it as a mini-land cruiser.

-I couldn't find a slightly used 4runner without a bunch of miles (a dealer a few hours away has a '15 TRD Pro with 50k miles listed for $43k!!!), ended up getting new Trail for less than some used ones were listed for.

-Oh, and the trail/TRD still have a rear diff locker. Not available on the newer land cruisers or the Lexi. I know people are all about the a-trac, and it's cool and is neat. But i prefer to have the locker and the (mostly manual) transfer case.

(none) thank you!

You're pinpoint on the mileage; I recently found a LX with 111k on the dash at a reasonable price that's a 2 owner but you make a good point about things wearing out on a decade old vehicle.

I'm looking more at the 10-13 year models and plenty of good ones are going for under $30 so that makes it competitive. Minimal options on the modification side though but perhaps that's a good thing for an overlander.

This is one item I agree with and am not crazy about. Coming from a 2000 model which is notably smaller and for me more agile the newer model has certainly put on the big boy pants.

Dalko43

Explorer
My opinion of the 5th gen 4runner vs LC is this: the 5th gen 4runner has more LC DNA in it than the most recent LC200 series. Decent payload, nimble handling (relative to bigger SUV's), reliable and somewhat fuel efficient engine, widely available locking rear diff, offroad-focused features like KDSS and craw control...if it weren't for a lack of solid front axle, I'd consider the 5th gen to be the LC80 reincarnated.

Between how accessible the 5th gen is, especially relative to new and used LC200's, and how easy it is to drive off road, I really think of the 4runner as the spiritual successor to the older-style LC's. And that's not to knock the LC200 or LC100; they're great vehicles and certainly capable of offroad performance. If you want some extra grunt out of the engine for towing and hauling, get a LC100 or LC200. If you just want something that will get you from point A to point B at a more cost-efficient price point, get a 5th gen.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
My opinion of the 5th gen 4runner vs LC is this: the 5th gen 4runner has more LC DNA in it than the most recent LC200 series. Decent payload, nimble handling (relative to bigger SUV's), reliable and somewhat fuel efficient engine, widely available locking rear diff, offroad-focused features like KDSS and craw control...if it weren't for a lack of solid front axle, I'd consider the 5th gen to be the LC80 reincarnated.

Between how accessible the 5th gen is, especially relative to new and used LC200's, and how easy it is to drive off road, I really think of the 4runner as the spiritual successor to the older-style LC's. And that's not to knock the LC200 or LC100; they're great vehicles and certainly capable of offroad performance. If you want some extra grunt out of the engine for towing and hauling, get a LC100 or LC200. If you just want something that will get you from point A to point B at a more cost-efficient price point, get a 5th gen.

Dalko thanks, like what you pointed about about the 5th Gen being more of a truck than luxury SUV. Know many have said that about the 200 that it's gotten away from the LC roots. With one V8 already there really is no need for two and this would be more an adventure vehicle too so a larger engine cost would add up quickly.

p nut

butter
Almost every iteration of LC had people yelling blasphemy. "That's no Land cruiser." "Needs a straight-6." "Needs SFA." Blah blah. 200 is every bit of an LC as past versions. Plenty have it outfitted for world tours and they're punished every bit as much as previous LC's. 4Runners are nice, but they're no LC's (coming from a non-LC owner).
_
Having said that, if you do not need the cabin/cargo space of the LC, 4Runner would do nicely. With a family, LC would be my pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior