5th gen trail edition or 100 series cruiser? I can't figure it out.

Dalko43

Explorer
Almost every iteration of LC had people yelling blasphemy. "That's no Land cruiser." "Needs a straight-6." "Needs SFA." Blah blah. 200 is every bit of an LC as past versions. Plenty have it outfitted for world tours and they're punished every bit as much as previous LC's. 4Runners are nice, but they're no LC's (coming from a non-LC owner).
_
Having said that, if you do not need the cabin/cargo space of the LC, 4Runner would do nicely. With a family, LC would be my pick.

Lol...I wasn't saying that the new LC 200 is blasphemous. I'm saying that due to its lower price point and greater focus on utility over luxury, the 5th gen 4runner strikes a more reasonable compromise for the average 4x4 enthusiast.

And outside of having different frames, chassis and engines, there really isn't much difference between the 5th gen platforms and modern LC 200. They are both body on frame (with fully boxed frames), solid rear axle, IFS, traditional 4wd with transfer case, offroad tech like KDSS and craw control. In fact, the one other defining difference is that the 5th gen 4runner has a widely available locking rear diff and the LC 200 doesn't, which again reinforces my point that the 5th gen has a greater focus on offroad utility vs the LC 200. So I'm really not sure what true offroad advantage the LC 200 has over the 4runner.

I think some people just don't realize how far the 4runner has come from its early, mini-truck days. The 5th gen is very much an overlanding machine right out of the box. The LC 200 can serve as an overlanding machine, it's just going to cost quite a few more $, both for fuel/maintenance and purchase costs.

Edit: Also, let's not beat around the bush on the topic of this most recent LC iteration. It's sales numbers have absolutely sucked compared to previous generations; a lot of that has to do with the vehicle's high price point and Toyota's focus on luxury over practical utility. So yes, while there are always stubborn LC loyalists complaining about every new generation of LC, this most recent one definitely hasn't had the same success or appeal as previous generations.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz