TrailBlazer use report

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
This would be a Venturcraft TrailBlazer. Not sure how useful this may be since they don't seem to be all that common but WTH. For those unfamiliar, these were among the first of the Expi-type trail-able camp trailers. My friend Rod had our mutual shop owning friend Ruben modify it for sustained Baja use: dual (now dead) Optimas, dual 5 gal propane tanks, alarm - now removed; on a serious square tube frame rolling on 33's w/ a 33 spare. Some pics of it in a thread here on these trailers. Eventually Rod moved on to a larger AT.

Anyway, my friend Brian ended up with the TB and given the expansion of his family it's a bit small for them now. So he's loaned it to me (long term?). Given our & Ruben's feelings for Rod & his premature departure this trailer is destined to be "in the family" for a long time.

Intial impression: Dang! This trailer can't be seen in any of the Sub's mirrors except the center mirror.
Second Impression: Can't even see it in a side mirror going around a tight corner.
Third: Playing Ricky-Road-Racer into Yosemite on Hwy 41 doesn't even phase the trailer, tracks right behind the Sub w/o any bad behavior.

I suspect that Patch ('84 Yota mini) can tow it, though I'm sure it'll really feel the hills.

With one exception, set-up is a single person - sub 3 minute operation. Tear-down takes roughly 5 mins.The exception is that the top cover is a combo of weighing too much and too awkward of a size/shape for one person to remove it. Brian's proposal, that may see action b4 SOB, is to have a marine canvas place make a soft cover for the tent portion. Appearently the hard cover was an option intended to allow carrying more stuff, which would have suited Rod's ever present search for the over looked Baja break. This would also make access to the lower storage part of the trailer when road-ready much easier on my back.

What it notably lacks is any sort of table surface. A rough design has presented itself, refining is required b4 pursuing implementation.

Were Brian to offer it to me for a price I'd be heading for the bank b4 he changed his mind. It will be going to this year's SOB.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My existing pics of it are in this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1376&page=1 These really only show the new frame that my friend Ruben built for it so as to survive extensive trips into Mexico.
Scott's linked pics page from that thread:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/ewvehicles/VenturCraft/index.html
His pics show the trailer with the std. soft tent cover. The one on loan to me has the optional hard fiberglass unit. Both the current owner & I wish that it didn't. My digi-cam appears to have gone the way of the Dodo so I'm currently lacking in ability to post more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94