My Off-Road A-Liner

bob

Adventurer
Another misconception about torsion axles. They work fine off road on any terrain. Most are over sprung for our use, so bounce can be controlled by air preasure in tires. Adding shocks helps them to. I have used torsion axles for over 25 years with never a failure, that includes over 250 trailers built for desert use and support bases.

Currently the military uses torsion axles on a lot of their trailers. The myth that they are not a quality option is that, nothing but myth.

Adventurer
Another misconception about torsion axles. They work fine off road on any terrain. Most are over sprung for our use, so bounce can be controlled by air preasure in tires. Adding shocks helps them to. I have used torsion axles for over 25 years with never a failure, that includes over 250 trailers built for desert use and support bases.

Currently the military uses torsion axles on a lot of their trailers. The myth that they are not a quality option is that, nothing but myth.

HI,
I agree with this. However, Murphy is right in the sense that I don't think the general construction of my Aliner is rugged enough to handle true 4WD trails. I really don't want to rip it apart. I'm not talking about the suspension which I think is fine. I am talking about the general construction which is not on the level of purpose designed off road trailers such as Conqueror or Adventure trailers.

For true 4WD trails I revert to my expedition mode where everything is carried on the Jeep and for which I have designed special storage. In this case, the trailer gets left at the trail head and I rough it. Don't misunderstand, I'm not a minimalist. I like my comforts so my expedition mode is relatively comfortable. But it's still camping - with style. :ylsmoke:

Sparky

rsbmg

Observer
I think this set-up looks awesome and I'm leaning heavily towards this now. I just went and looked at the ALINER's today along with the other teardrop options they carry. I really am digging the ALINER. The frame is all steel and folded up for travel I don't see the trailer construction itself being an issue. I think a good suspension, maybe some medium duty armor and a multi axis coupler would go a long way to helping this trailer tackle some pretty tough terrain. Sounds like the OP already does this with his and is working well. Of course this thread is a little old and I am not sure if he is on here anymore.

The only sticking point for me price. These go for between 12-15k here in San Diego. Thats a tough pill to swallow considering you can hop on Craigslist and get a nice fullsize trailer fully equipped for less. Of course those trailers are not going to far in the dirt....

I may try and keep my eye out for something used but I could be waiting a while......

murphy744

Adventurer
rsbmg,
I found mine on craigslist for $3500. Check the net...they are out there. I would never pay $12-15.
I have put mine thru the paces out in Death Valley and surrounding mountains.....no complaints! Three other buddies have Aliners by Deaver and love them.

I think this set-up looks awesome and I'm leaning heavily towards this now. I just went and looked at the ALINER's today along with the other teardrop options they carry. I really am digging the ALINER. The frame is all steel and folded up for travel I don't see the trailer construction itself being an issue. I think a good suspension, maybe some medium duty armor and a multi axis coupler would go a long way to helping this trailer tackle some pretty tough terrain. Sounds like the OP already does this with his and is working well. Of course this thread is a little old and I am not sure if he is on here anymore.

The only sticking point for me price. These go for between 12-15k here in San Diego. Thats a tough pill to swallow considering you can hop on Craigslist and get a nice fullsize trailer fully equipped for less. Of course those trailers are not going to far in the dirt....

I may try and keep my eye out for something used but I could be waiting a while......

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
The Aliner is a knock off of the Chalet, built in San Jacinto, California originally, now in someplace in Washington. I think the Aliner is a step above the Chalet in that it does have the Dexter TorFlex axle. This same axle design is used on all new military trailers and will soon be used on all 5k to 10k trailers used by the NATO and US Military vehicles.

I think the Aliner is an aluminum frame where the Chalet the last time I checked was still wood. I drug mine on some pretty tough trails years ago and never had any problems with them. I really like the idea. Strong, wind resistant, warm, most creature comforts and you can find them used for very reasonable prices. I just sold mine to Wikid for 1500.00 as it was just setting rotting away.

A little work like the OP and this thing is a great option.

rsbmg

Observer
The Sport, according to the sales rep has a steel frame while the larger models have an aluminum frame. I am going to confirm that myself with a magnet though:peepwall: Not so sure about the offroad suspension/tires. I am still leaning towards a set-up like the OP.

D

Deleted member 43491

I think you have just answered all the problems my wife had with us buying a trailer/ being outdoorsy! ( I am! She is def not....)
Store in garage check!
Sinker and stove check!
Toilet .. Possible!
Shower check!
Hard side walls (no tents allowed..) check!
Being able to stand up.. Check!
AC / Heat check!
Microwave possible!
I will def keep watching this thread! Now to just find one in my price range....

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I love it Sparky. If it was just my self and my wife I'd be running the same set up. I used an Aliner all the time, till the family out grew it. They are nice campers.

murphy744

Adventurer
Not an action shot, but a pic of our camp up out of Butte Valley near Death Valley. When the temps drop like it did up there the Aliner's heater made real toasty in about 5 minutes:ylsmoke:

Attachments

• Golar.jpg
    Golar.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 210

jronwood

Adventurer
I live VERY close to Aliner and have toured the factory and am even using some scratch and dent stuff from the factory floor (converting a military 788 Shelter into a camper). I must say most RV's dont impress me, BUT it looks like they are REALLY making a nicely designed and engineered product. The last time I was there about 6 months ago there were two or three of the "off road" style units fully assembled headed out the door. I fabricate, design and build all sorts of stuff for a living, welder, blacksmith, sawyer, you name it I do it at a high level (custom furniture mostly, like West Coast Choopers but for your home/business). They have it going on over there at Aliner.

Ironwood

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
As I have stated many times. I have built many trailers in my life time, from jet ski to 40 foot fifth wheels. Chalet and Aliner are two of the very best popup trailers made. Great engineering, plenty of room, very lite, all the mommy needs. I have loved them since I had my first one. I think you have a great trailer and anyone that finds one can make it very off road worthy quickly.

Great finds for both of you guys, have fun and I know you will stay warm and dry.

rsbmg

Observer
Taking the little lady to the dealer today. He has one in stock for under 9k in the single bed floorplan we want. It does not have refrigerator, stove, or heater but has most everything else. I like the stoveless model because I would want to cook outdoors unless the weather is bad in which case I would simple bring my stove inside. I already have an ARB fridge and as for a heater that can always be added later if I really need it but I think comfy blankets will do me just fine for now....

The trailer is regularly about 13k but at 9k that leaves me some spending money for the suspension:Mechanic:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Again the trailer has the same suspension that is being put on all new military trailers. Check it out before you replace it. I use this suspension on my trailers and have for many years, long before the expedition trailer era. You can see it in action in my build. I am not saying other suspsensions are not good, but what you have is what the US military has decided to use on all miliary trailers 5k and below and are working with the 10k level in testing.

That seems terribly high for a stripped down model. I would look at used, as normally you can find them like brand new for around 4k and that means nearly loaded, most likely no shower or AC but everything else. Good luck.

I would look at the Chalet also. It may have the Dexter axle under it now.

rsbmg

Observer
I would be good with a used trailer except one does not appear to exist in the sport. I have scoured the net for the past week including going on several Aliner forums and contacting RV dealers even in other states. There are plenty of the other models out there but the sport is a rare item. additionally after looking at all the dealers I could find the price is pretty darn cheap. Believe me if I could find a cheaper alternative I would but here in sunny socal there isn't one. Also of the used models I have found they are not running but more than a couple grand cheaper anyway. I always see on forums and in articles where people have found these fantastic deals, but that is never me. I may wait and see if a used trailer turns up within 500 miles of here but I wont be to upset if I have a shiny new trailer in the driveway soon :)

As for the suspension, I'm not getting the offroad model, its the stock suspension. I am going to be putting some 33's on the trailer and the stock suspension will not accommodate that. Even if It did I don't think I would feel comfortable with that.

Its not the design which is the issue its the ruggedness of the parts used. I have no issue with the type of suspension but I seriously doubt Aliner trailers are using the same parts as the military.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
They are using Dexter Tor Flex axles and Alko Torsion axles. Exact same, just lower weight. All new military trailers are coming with these axles. Check with Dexter or call Phil Duckworth at Dexter, he is the National Sales manager. He can even give you the testing information on them.

As to a local to verify, check with Pikeman, he states there are hundreds of the new military trailers near his home in SoCal, all with Tor Flex or Alko axles

I live in California and have bought both of mine used. I just sold one about 6 months ago in excellent condition for 1500 bucks. Check the smaller RV sales sites or try Craigs list. I will check with my local dealer in Beaumont, he normally has one setting around. I do know they are getting way more popular. As stated the orginal trailer, manufactured years before the Aliner was the Chalet. They still make them, exact same trailer design. I like the Aliner due to the Tor Flex axle, but some have stated Chalet is now using them.

I think Chalet has a forum like this, you might check that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles