My Off-Road A-Liner

murphy744

Adventurer
I picked this up a couple of months ago, then sent it over to Deaver Suspensions in Santa Ana, CA for some work. It started out like this.....then.....

Attachments

• IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    677.1 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_3644.JPG
    IMG_3644.JPG
    768.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • IMG_3645.JPG
    IMG_3645.JPG
    921.4 KB · Views: 822

Adventurer
HI,
Looks really nice. I think you will enjoy the added clearance.

I have an older Aliner Classic. It's a little bigger than yours. I pull it behind my '89 Jeep Wrangler. Several years ago I discovered that Aliner has available an off road axle for my trailer. The new axle also used 15 inch wheels rather than the stock 14 inchers. I ordered it along with electric trailer brakes. I did the installation myself. It was supposed to be a bolt-in mod but, of course, it was not. My trailer was too old for it to be a direct fit. I drilled new mounting holes and modified a few other things. I also had to install new long reach jacks in the rear. I also had to install new steps because, with the added height, the last step was long and dangerous with the old steps. I also ordered a 15 inch spare.

The biggest problem I ran into was getting a perfect alignment for the axle relative to the frame with my primitive tools and measuring equipment. I got it done and I'm very happy.

However, there are still limitations. I still would not take the trailer on really rough Jeep trails. This has to do more with overhang than ground clearance. My clearance looks to be about the same as yours. Was it worth the effort and money? Yes, I think so. I can now take my trailer places that I could not before like remote campgrounds.

How do you like yours?

Sparky

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Sparky

Very NICE !!!

If you can please list the details or a photo of what was done. I would really like to do something similar. Is it just an SOA or did they beef up the frame a bit?

Mark

Adventurer
Sparky

Very NICE !!!

If you can please list the details or a photo of what was done. I would really like to do something similar. Is it just an SOA or did they beef up the frame a bit?

Mark

HI Mark,
If you look, Aliner does not use conventional springs. Rather, a type of torsion bar is used similar to the old VW bugs rear suspension. Thus, SOA, etc., does not apply. In my case the frame is stock but is plenty strong.

Sparky

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Sparky:

I could be wrong but I think I see a set of leaf springs under your COOL Aliner. If you don't mind snap us a shot of the mods under there. THANKS

Mark

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Sparky:

I could be wrong but I think I see a set of leaf springs under your COOL Aliner.
Mark

The OP, Murphy744, has what appears to be leafs under his, done by 'Deaver Suspensions'

Sparky, aka: Karma, did his own swap with A-liner parts.

Very cool campers! I like the fact they are hard sided, yet compact for towing.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yowsers, it's going to suck the first time you forget the trailer is back there and back into a tree or large rock. I built a complete frame and added a square steel rear bumper to mine, got to test it out recently and pushed a small Aspen right over when I had to turn around in a very tight spot. My trailer isn't an A-liner, but same concept. I bought my longer jacks from these guys http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Two-..._Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336b7b96f7

Last edited:

Adventurer
The OP, Murphy744, has what appears to be leafs under his, done by 'Deaver Suspensions'

Sparky, aka: Karma, did his own swap with A-liner parts.

Very cool campers! I like the fact they are hard sided, yet compact for towing.

HI Bill,
Yeah, I did use Aliner parts. I thought that Murphy (the OP) also used Aliner parts. If he used leaf springs, the work required would increase significantly. And there is no need to do this. Aliner sells most of their trailer models with an "off road" option which would use the same basic axle I used.

As for the merits of the trailer, I like mine a lot. It pulls easily, its light, has plenty of storage, and provides most of the creature comforts of a normal unfolding trailer. One quirk is there is no wall storage because of the way it folds. All storage is in cabinets at floor level. The dinette and bed are on opposite ends of the trailer and can be left setup for the duration without having to rearrange every day. It works well.

In my case it needs to pull easily. My little Jeep YJ's stock engine is only rated at 110 HP at sea level! Most of my camping is at elevations over 5000 ft. Yes, the Jeep huffs and puffs a lot but gets the job done, just not fast. I have driven the "Million Dollar Highway" between Durango and Ouray without a lot of trouble-just a lot huffs and puffs. :) If you have driven this road you know it is a very long up hill climb.

What I like most is ease of setup. Not exaggerating, one person can have the trailer set up in 2 minutes! Of course, the hookups still need to be made. I can also carry a small Honda generator which will power the trailers entire electrical requirements including the air conditioner and microwave (not at the same time) when I camp where there are not hookups.

Inside room is adequate for one or two people. Mine actually has sleeping space for four people by converting the dinette to a bed, but I would not like to actually share that space with four. Since I travel alone, it's plenty big enough for me complete with microwave and 24 inch flat screen TV which I only use for watching DVD's. It has a complete kitchen. It's a very comfortable trailer with its full insulation and air conditioning. That I can actually take it on trails I would never take other trailers is a bonus.

Sparky

Last edited:

murphy744

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments. I will try and take some more photo's(interior, underside).

Yes, Deaver Suspensions basically gutted the underside. Ordered a custom Dexter 5000# axle with a 6-5.5 bolt pattern to match the 80 series wheels. Deaver also custom built the spring packs...yes SOA....and fabbed up shock tabs, then threw on some bilstein shocks. My LC has a 2.5 OME lift. The trailer has right around the same height....27.5" from the ground to the hitch. I'm running 285's on the LC and the trailer. I'm headed to the Sierra's this weekend....I will let you know how it performs!:)

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments. I will try and take some more photo's(interior, underside).

Yes, Deaver Suspensions basically gutted the underside. Ordered a custom Dexter 5000# axle with a 6-5.5 bolt pattern to match the 80 series wheels. Deaver also custom built the spring packs...yes SOA....and fabbed up shock tabs, then threw on some bilstein shocks. My LC has a 2.5 OME lift. The trailer has right around the same height....27.5" from the ground to the hitch. I'm running 285's on the LC and the trailer. I'm headed to the Sierra's this weekend....I will let you know how it performs!:)

HI Murphy,
Did you have a specific reason for going with Deaver rather than with Aliner parts? Everyone should understand that converting from the torsion bar axle (mine) to a SOA (Murphy's) is a fairly big job requiring good welding skills. Off hand I see no good reason to do this unless you didn't know that Aliner offered an offroad axle for your trailer.

Also, did you install trailer brakes when you did the modification? With my Jeep and its short wheelbase, they are needed.

Sparky

murphy744

Adventurer
HI Murphy,
Did you have a specific reason for going with Deaver rather than with Aliner parts? Everyone should understand that converting from the torsion bar axle (mine) to a SOA (Murphy's) is a fairly big job requiring good welding skills. Off hand I see no good reason to do this unless you didn't know that Aliner offered an offroad axle for your trailer.

Also, did you install trailer brakes when you did the modification? With my Jeep and its short wheelbase, they are needed.

Sparky

Sparky
I guess it depands on what you use your trailer for. Yes, I know A-liner make a "Off-Road" kit. However, for my use, that kit would never hold up to the terrain. I do alot of off-road travel through out remote areas of Death Valley, and surrounding mountain ranges. Most roads are deeply rutted, rocky, and sometimes non-existant.

My trailer is not the first of its kind either, Deaver has built 3 others for friends of mine. I've seen them in action. Where ever my LC goes, so to does the A-Liner.

But, if your just hitting mild dirt roads and camp grounds...yes, my set-up is over kill.

My axle came with brakes too. I have them wired up, but not really needed. My LC is alot heavier and longer with larger brakes than your Jeep.

As for the the work involved. Deaver did everything. Built the springs, shackles, re-enforced the frame rails, built shock tabs. My skills are not at that level and wanted it done right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles