Equipt's Land Cruiser 100 Series

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I'm having a blast putting my personal touches on it.

got one of the swingouts finished up today! What a difference smooth bearings make!

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I'm proud to call it my own. I DO miss my Jeep, though. I guess you grow more attached to a vehicle when you build it from bone stock.
I am having a great time tearing into things and restoring things that need attention. Thanks again for getting me all the bits and pieces. I still can't believe the bearings on the tire swingouts....sheesh... what a difference!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...I still can't believe the bearings on the tire swingouts....sheesh... what a difference!

That is wild. I'm thinking a seal got damaged, perhaps mud caking up in their wiped the seal and then it was game over for the bearing? Paul took great care of that rig but he certainly used it too. I think your doing a great job with the refurb and making it your own :cool:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Yeah. Thats one of the things I love about the rig. It's proven! It's beeen THERE and back again so I have NO doubts about it doing the same with me behind the wheel! Paul's persnickety personality was just another selling point for the rig. I'm sure that I'll be in touch again real soon (for more bits and pieces). :)

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
20141212_142411.jpgFinally got the rear upper control arms installed. The old ones were TRASHED!
Also installed the new serpentine belt tensioner and pulley. Immediate improvement with steering! :)
Unfortunately in the process noticed that one of my rear axle seals is leaking... FML.
Looks like I'll be needing again you sooner that expected, Kurt.

Last edited:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Got the passenger side spare tire swingout removed. Banged out the old seals bearings and races. Replaced all of them. Took it a step further and used RTV to keep the Seals in place and water out. Removed the side wings and replaced all.of the rusty hardware with stainless steel. Once the brackets are blasted and repainted I'll slap it back together.
Another friendly reminder to service those bearings!!

Last edited:

F5driver

Adventurer
A very reputable dealership did mine and the replacement seals continued to leak. Finally we used adhesive to hold the seals in place and its been good for the past year. Given the costs of the bearings and seals make sure a very competent shop, that will warrantee their work, replaces the seals and bearings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94