Cummins B3.3 Powered FJ60

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Can you give us a ballpark on what the swap cost you out of pocket?

Please... a gentlemen never asks what a restoration, axle conversion, power-plant swap, etc., costs.

Actual figures can potentially bring about brief episodes of guilt to the owner. We don't need that getting in the way of our mania, now do we?

Plus, never leave a possible audit trail for the spouse to follow. It's something her lawyer could use against you.

More pictures please...

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
Looking good ProwlerDriver!

Let me know about that coolant heater....my apologies that it did not work. I am glad we were able to figure out the issue with the heat without too much trouble. I think there might be something wrong with that particular unit. Were you able to return it? If not, we can send you a label to ship it back and we can refund you for it.

26 mpg is pretty good! Give it a few thousand miles to break in and I think you will get an extra mile or two out of it. Truly amazing for a 60.

I am glad you are happy with the Cruiser. As mentioned in the emails, I was reluctant to give it back to you. I really enjoyed test driving it as I was so impressed by how it drove. We even took it to the Cruiser Outfitter's BBQ / show and shine so we could show it off. I may have to think really hard about using one of these engines in my own personal Cruisers. Now...which one to convert?

Have fun with it and let me know if you ever need anything. John...if you had not already figured that out :sombrero:

Yes, we can mate the B3.3 to a Toyota 4 speed...no problem.

Sloan

Explorer
Please... a gentlemen never asks what a restoration, axle conversion, power-plant swap, etc., costs.

Actual figures can potentially bring about brief episodes of guilt to the owner. We don't need that getting in the way of our mania, now do we?

Plus, never leave a possible audit trail for the spouse to follow. It's something her lawyer could use against you.

More pictures please...

I'll tell how much anything I've ever done cost, no guilt at all. The only reason I ask is after my 2F rebuild that ended up taking 4 months, it is much easier to get my wife to agree to paying someone else to do the big stuff. My other line of thinking is that if it costs say $15 K, that is way cheaper to do than purchase a new vehicle and I end up with a truck that has a new drivetrain that the kids and I love.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I'll tell how much anything I've ever done cost, no guilt at all. The only reason I ask is after my 2F rebuild that ended up taking 4 months, it is much easier to get my wife to agree to paying someone else to do the big stuff. My other line of thinking is that if it costs say $15 K, that is way cheaper to do than purchase a new vehicle and I end up with a truck that has a new drivetrain that the kids and I love.

In that a gentleman never asks a woman's age...

I wasn't chastising you Sloan, merely reflecting a comical, if not painful, common experience of modifying our vehicles. If the OP would like to share his expenditures, please feel free.

eli

Observer
Very Cool Rig Sir! Gods Speed to you and the crew that protects us . . Gotta ask if it wasn't covered already, what's the HP & Tourqe #'s for this set up and how many miles (life expectancy)can you expect for this engine. .

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Very Cool Rig Sir! God Speed to you and the crew that protects us . . Gotta ask if it wasn't covered already, what's the HP & Tourqe #'s for this set up and how many miles (life expectancy)can you expect for this engine. .

x2

tommyd

Observer

agreed. I don't like it when people ask me, so I shouldn't have asked. sorry OP.

how much does an FJ60 weigh?

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
Very nice, I got the chance to see your 60 in person when I dropped my project off. Very nice indeed!

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
Very Cool Rig Sir! Gods Speed to you and the crew that protects us . . Gotta ask if it wasn't covered already, what's the HP & Tourqe #'s for this set up and how many miles (life expectancy)can you expect for this engine. .

Horsepower is 85 and torque is 215 ft lbs.

According to Cummins, you have to START THINKING about a rebuild at 400K miles.

We have installed several of these engines in 40's and 45's but never in a 60. We were a little hesitant to install one in a heavy wagon but we were willing to give it a shot after discussing the project with ProwlerDriver. I was pleasantly surprised of how well the B3.3 performs in a 60. It is a lot more powerful than we expected.

It is not a rocket ship by any means, but it is quite peppy and the fuel mileage is spectacular. It is also a LOT quieter than a Cummins 3.9L 4BT. The B3.3L is an excellent engine for a light overland vehicle and/or daily driver. I don't think I would recommend it for a heavy Cruiser wagon especially one that does a lot of medium to heavy towing.

Also, the one installed in ProwlerDriver's 60 is an all mechanical version B3.3. There is a computer controlled version of the B3.3 and it puts out a 110 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque. This version would be even more peppy and get even better fuel mileage. Estimated fuel mileage would be in the high 20's, maybe even 30 mpg.

Hope that helps.

nely

Adventurer
Since this seems to be a alternate power plant to the 4bt, how much weight difference is there between the engines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online