Small Dutch Oven?

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
Final thoughts on dutch ovens

Lodge makes both the camp fire dutch oven and the stove dutch oven in 2 QT sizes. I puchased a 2 QT stove type through the factory store of Lodge mfg. I also ordered a 9" lid for a skillet (which is the same lid that fits the 2 QT oven).

I'm sure they would set you up with any combo you wanted.

Happy cooking

Doug

Errant

Explorer
Actually, Flax Seed Oil has one of the lowest smoke points of all cooking oils (225F). I use Avocado Oil (520F), either in the oven or over a fire if at camp. You can see a comparison of oils on this page.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Actually, Flax Seed Oil has one of the lowest smoke points of all cooking oils (225F). I use Avocado Oil (520F), either in the oven or over a fire if at camp. You can see a comparison of oils on this page.

You're right, I got that backwards. His idea was to use an oil that would smoke on purpose and thats why he seasoned it at such a high temperature.

Joanne

Adventurer
Hi all,

I guess I'll add my 2¢ to the discussion.

I'll be burned alive for heresy because I am suggesting this, but if you absolutely don't want feet on a dutch oven then buy the oven you like and cut them off. Lodge and Camp Chef have produced them by the millions so you won't be ruining any future value. You will be able to cook on a grill or by using a lid stand to hold it over the coals.

I actually think that most folks worry way too much about seasoning their ovens. I heard about a guy who got into a marriage threatening fight because his wife washed his Dutch Oven with soapy water. Really? Over the seasoning in a Dutch Oven? Don't get me wrong, I don't recommend washing them in soapy water but it does not ruin them!

The real seasoning in a Dutch Oven comes from the carbonization of fat on the surface of the oven. Once the the oven has been seasoned it's reasonably difficult to damage it during normal usage. I rarely have to strip an oven and reseason it.

When it comes to seasoning ovens, I believe that the temp you season at is more important than the specific oil you use. I like the high-temp method of seasoning. I try to season between 500°-550°F to achieve a beautiful dark black seasoning. Much hotter than that and you run the risk of burning off the seasoning. If your oven comes out with sticky places, you used too much oil. If it comes out dark brown, you didn't get a high enough temp or didn't let it "bake" long enough.

Lastly, consider using your gas grill rather than smoking up you house. Most grills will get plenty hot enough. You do need to make certain that you have a decent thermometer so you can monitor the temp.

Honestly, the best way to keep you cast iron well seasoned is to use them regularly. I have a Wagner skillet that was my mom's and it had been neglected for years when I got it. After some regular use the seasoning is beautiful and I can fry eggs in it without having to worry about them sticking. I love my cast iron, but I don't get my panties in a knot about the seasoning.

Just my thoughts....

Joanne

apsilon

Observer
Older thread I know but I'm browsing back through the forum.

Anyway, I can't believe no one mentioned the obvious solution to not wanting legs on the camp oven...... a hacksaw.

ssssnake529

Explorer
Hi all,

I'll be burned alive for heresy because I am suggesting this, but if you absolutely don't want feet on a dutch oven then buy the oven you like and cut them off.

Joanne

Older thread I know but I'm browsing back through the forum.

Anyway, I can't believe no one mentioned the obvious solution to not wanting legs on the camp oven...... a hacksaw.

The post right above yours mentioned this solution.

My personal solution was to buy a potjie. I love it. The round bottom works better for my uses than the flat bottom of a traditional American oven.

ddog45

Adventurer
Wow I always thought dutch ovens were easy to use clean and use again. We cook almost all of our meals in dutch ovens while camping. Cook meat in them consider them seasoned end of story.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I have a previously rusty little cast iron fajita pan that I rescued from the garbage dump that is seasoned entirely with bacon grease, its the best seasoned pan I own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94