Opinions on Bad Elf for iTouch? Also best general pupose road app?

DaveM

Explorer
I have an older iTouch (2nd gen, I think) that I want to use in place of my Garmin Nuvi for general road travel. I'm considering the Bad Elf plug in GPS and was wondering if anyone here has experience using it with an iTouch for in car navigation?

Also what apps have people found to be useful for iTouch / iPhone on-road navigation? Again, looking for general on highway and around town navigation for now, not topo style maps.

Thanks,

TFRI

Observer
I currently use and love MotionX GPS on my iPhone and iPad for back country and the Magellan Roadmate for turn by turn. I think MotionX is about $3 and Roadmate was around $50. MotionX also has a turn by turn called GPSDrive. to get the voice prompts you need a subscription. I don't know if either is compatible with Bad Elf. Good Luck!!!

http://www.motionx.com/

Darby Darrow

Observer
I use the Bad Elf unit with my iPad and it works very well. Generally finding satellites in less the 30 seconds from a cold start. I also use MotionX Drive gps with my iPhone using their subscription. For on the road it is a very nice set up. However MotionX prohibits you from installing the Drive program through iTunes if you will be installing it on a non gps capable iPad/iTouch.

I don't have any experience with the iTouch but I have no reason to think that it will work any less than on the iPad. The nice thing about the iTouch apps is they are very reasonably priced so you can try one out, and if you hate it you are only out a couple of bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke