100 series LC/Lx470 vs Land Rover LR3 vs 1st generation Sequoia

khronus79

Adventurer
Yesssssss, another comparo thread:sombrero: . (OK, not really)

I've read MANY, MANY threads these past few weeks comparing Land Cruisers vs Land Rovers of all types and must admit that is hard reading through all the bias opinions and extract the few non bias posts in the forums. Toyota forums bash on Land Rovers and Land Rover forums are quick to return the favor.

Mi idea is not necessarily to do a head to head comparison, what I would like to do is gather as much data as possible from actual owners of all 3 trucks, and then post all that in one place to make it easier for others that are looking for the same answers.

The reason I chose these 3 trucks is their capacity for 7 passengers, their price, and of course their 4wd.
An early LC100/Lx470 can be had for around 15k(give or take a couple of grand), I've found models from 1998 to 2002, with mileage anywhere from mid 70ks to 250k.
For the same price one can have a 2005/2006 Land Rover Lr3 with much lower mileage.
The Sequoia is the oddball of the trio, being larger and heftier overall, but lately I've seen more and more of these being used as an adventure type vehicle and tackling some off road obstacles, maybe not a full blown rock crawler but it seems to hold its own on mild offroading. The 2005 to 2007 Sequoia can be had for as low as 10k with mileage in the low 70ks to mid 100ks.

So, since this is the Land Cruiser section of the forum
-What year 100 series is best and why????
-What are the strengths and weaknesses of your 100 series LC????
-What major problems have you had with your 100 series LC????(Major failures, enough to leave you stranded)
-Other minor problems with your LC100????(annoyances such as electrical stuff)
-What modifications are a must have????
-Which modifications have you done that you wish you hadn't????

I'll post this same thread in the Land Rover section and I'll try to compile as many answers as possible.
Thanks in advance for any input/info you decide to share.

Last edited:

khronus79

Adventurer
Reserved for Specifications

Toyota Land Cruiser LC100, Lexus LX470 Specs:
Wheel Base: 112 in.
Length: 193 in.
Width: 76.4 in.
Height: 72.8 in.
Curb Weight: 5100 lbs
Engine: 4.7L V8
HP: 228
TQ: 320
Fuel Tank Capacity: 25.4 gal.
City MPG : 13
HWY MPG: 17
Aprox. Range: 381 mi.
Towing: 6500 lbs.
Payload: 1500 lbs

Ground Clearance: 9.8 in.
Approach Angle: 33 deg
Departure Angle: 19 deg
BreakOver Angle: 25 deg
Roll Over Angle: 45 deg
RTI 20deg. ramp: 548
Front Wheel Travel:
Rear Wheel Travel:

Water Fording Depth: 34 in.

Land Rover LR3 Specs
Wheel Base: 113.6 in.
Length: 190.9 in.
Width: 75.4 in.
Height: 74.5 in.
Curb Weight: 5426 lbs
Engine: 4.4L V8
HP: 300
TQ: 315
Fuel Tank Capacity: 22.8 gal.
City MPG : 13
HWY MPG: 17
Aprox. Range: 342 mi.
Towing: 7700 lbs.
Payload: 1800 lbs

Ground Clearance: 9.5 in.
Approach Angle: 37.2 deg
Departure Angle: 29.6 deg
BreakOver Angle: 27.9 deg
Roll Over Angle: 44 deg
RTI 20deg. ramp: 519
Front Wheel Travel: 10 in.
Rear Wheel Travel: 13 in.

Water Fording Depth: 28 in.

Toyota Sequoia 1st gen. Specs
Wheel Base: 118.1 in.
Length: 203.9 in.
Width: 78.9 in.
Height: 74 in.
Curb Weight: 5300 lbs
Engine: 4.7L V8
HP: 282
TQ: 325
Fuel Tank Capacity: 26.4 gal.
City MPG : 15
HWY MPG: 18
Aprox. Range: 435 mi.
Towing: 6500 lbs.
Payload: 1330 lbs

Ground Clearance: 10.6 in.
Approach Angle: 28 deg
Departure Angle: 20 deg
BreakOver Angle:
Roll Over Angle:
RTI 20deg. ramp:
Front Wheel Travel:
Rear Wheel Travel:

Water Fording Depth:

If you see any mistakes or can fill in the blanks, please let me know I'll update this post as soon as possible.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
7 passengers and 4x4 -- OK
Tell us more about how you plan to use the vehicle. Take 7 people across the Rubicon Trail? Take 7 people to a soccer game, and later take 2 people across the Rubicon? No plans for the Rubicon Trail, but plan on camping trips with the family? And so on.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think we need to learn more about your intended use, desire to modify, previous experiences, etc... I will tell you having a large amount of seat time in an LR3 and serious looker at LC100's that the stats you quote really do not tell the story. At all. Nor can they be trusted. For example, the LR3 has another 5" of ground clearance in Super Extended mode, stock, but that doesn't show up in the stats. Same for roll over angle. You can lower the LR3 into access mode and noticeably improve your center of gravity and improve your ability to navigate a tricky off camber challenge (or squeeze under rock outcropping). I'm not necessarily advocating the LR3, it is not for everyone. It has it's own quirks that some folks cannot abide by, and they have justifiable reasons. The trick for you is to sort out opinion from fact. Not easy to do, particularly on this forum that very heavily favors solid axles no matter what brand.

Here are a couple of threads to read:
- http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/58543-Anybody-doing-an-LR3-as-an-off-road-rig
- http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23932-2005-Tacoma-Vs-2005-LR3

18seeds

Explorer
05-07 Sequoia will give you VVTI and with lower mileage it will probably yield you a better interior. Toyota leather does not age well.

khronus79

Adventurer
7 passengers and 4x4 -- OK
Tell us more about how you plan to use the vehicle. Take 7 people across the Rubicon Trail? Take 7 people to a soccer game, and later take 2 people across the Rubicon? No plans for the Rubicon Trail, but plan on camping trips with the family? And so on.
Can't the vehicles mentioned do all those things????
The vehicle would be mainly used by my wife, mall cruiser, family rig. But it will see lots of outdoors and at least one major trip every year perhaps 2.
As of now we have 2 kids and a dog, and the family will grow.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...estions-and-advise-please?p=961285#post961285

I think we need to learn more about your intended use, desire to modify, previous experiences, etc... I will tell you having a large amount of seat time in an LR3 and serious looker at LC100's that the stats you quote really do not tell the story. At all. Nor can they be trusted. For example, the LR3 has another 5" of ground clearance in Super Extended mode, stock, but that doesn't show up in the stats. Same for roll over angle. You can lower the LR3 into access mode and noticeably improve your center of gravity and improve your ability to navigate a tricky off camber challenge (or squeeze under rock outcropping). I'm not necessarily advocating the LR3, it is not for everyone. It has it's own quirks that some folks cannot abide by, and they have justifiable reasons. The trick for you is to sort out opinion from fact. Not easy to do, particularly on this forum that very heavily favors solid axles no matter what brand.

Here are a couple of threads to read:
- http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/58543-Anybody-doing-an-LR3-as-an-off-road-rig
- http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23932-2005-Tacoma-Vs-2005-LR3
Thanks for the response, the stats posted above for the LR3 are on the extended suspension. I know numbers are just that, numbers. That's why I requested first hand experience from actual owners. Numbers from magazines don't mean much but they are good to have for basic comparison purposes.
As for my intended use please see above.
I do plan on modifying the rig, suspension, tires, sliders, bumpers. I'm pretty decent with a wrench so most of the work on the truck will be done by me.

lt1fire

Adventurer
Can't the vehicles mentioned do all those things????

In stock forum I don't think any of them can do the Rubicon Trail. The best wheeler in stock forum is the LR3 and this is from a hard core LC guy.

I've wheeled both and find them both impressive in different ways..... now if you are going to modify you must know that both have premium stickers to any modification you can get because a 100 series and LR3 spells $$$ to any accessory company.

The sequoia ...... not much available for modification without going a custom route.

Basically in stock form this is how I look at it
LR3 : best wheeler(not by a huge gap), best interior (by far), most comfortable
100: tied for reliability, only one available with a rear locker from the factory
Seqouia:tied for reliability, biggest interior

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Actually, the LR3 is available with a factory rear locker also. It's part of the HD ( heavy duty) package, that includes a full size spare tire. It is harder to find though.

Also, the stated ground clearance for the LR3 is NOT in Extended Mode. There are 5 suspension height modes:
1. Access Mode (lowered 50mm or so)
2. Normal
3. Off road (+50mm or so)
4. Extended mode (entered when car detects that's it's hung up or turtled)
5. Super extended mode (manually engaged by driver once the car is in Extended Mode)

I forget the height numbers now. I think it's +50mm Off road, +35mm Extended, and another +50 in Super, I know it's a total of 5" above Normal rode height. Sone would argue that there is a sixth height mode called "bump stops" should your compressor fail or ride height sensors experience a fault :)
This is why serious LR3 off road drivers buy Faultmate units, to clear faults and reprogram desired ride hgt's on the fly.

khronus79

Adventurer
Actually, the LR3 is available with a factory rear locker also. It's part of the HD ( heavy duty) package, that includes a full size spare tire. It is harder to find though.

Also, the stated ground clearance for the LR3 is NOT in Extended Mode. There are 5 suspension height modes:
1. Access Mode (lowered 50mm or so)
2. Normal
3. Off road (+50mm or so)
4. Extended mode (entered when car detects that's it's hung up or turtled)
5. Super extended mode (manually engaged by driver once the car is in Extended Mode)

I forget the height numbers now. I think it's +50mm Off road, +35mm Extended, and another +50 in Super, I know it's a total of 5" above Normal rode height. Sone would argue that there is a sixth height mode called "bump stops" should your compressor fail or ride height sensors experience a fault :)
This is why serious LR3 off road drivers buy Faultmate units, to clear faults and reprogram desired ride hgt's on the fly.

You are absolutely right, all the numbers shown in articles and forums is on the off-road mode.
Interesting device, how much would a Faultmate cost??? I saw $250 on a site but that seems very low.

Sawyer

Adventurer
I have owned my 100 series for 6 years now. It is a 2000 model and 106K on it when I bought it for $16K. I will do my best for you... Also dont forget about the LX 470.

-What year 100 series is best and why????

Any year is great!

-What are the strengths and weaknesses of your 100 series LC????

Strengths: Toyota reliability, pretty much bullet proof reliability, super comfortable, go forever
Weakness: a little on the large side for extreme offroad, and limited on modifications (although getting better every year)

-What major problems have you had with your 100 series LC????(Major failures, enough to leave you stranded)

Nothing yet.

-Other minor problems with your LC100????(annoyances such as electrical stuff)

Crappy factory sound. easily fixable. But why for a $65k rig they they didnt do better is beyond me.

-What modifications are a must have????

Convert crappy headlights to HID. Other than that, it really depends on your needs. I have a pretty modified rig. But everything was done for my needs.

-Which modifications have you done that you wish you hadn't????

Nothing.

Here is what I have done to mine:

ARB front bumper
Superwinch EP9.0
Viking winch line
BOIR front, middle, and belly skid plate
Slee step sliders
Timbren Bump Stops front and rear
Total Chaos UCA's
Radflo 2.5 remote reservoir shocks front and rear
OME torsion bars
Slee heavy duty rear lower control arms
OME 863 springs in the rear
BOIR rear bumper with dual swingout. (1) tire carrier and (1) ladder with removable MFC carrier
DDM HID headlight conversion
National Luna dual battery setup
National Luna 52L weekend fridge
Additional power outlets
CB
pocket change mod
BFG 295/75R/16's
Refinished wheels to graphite color

Mods on my list:
Gobi roof rack - running out of room on the inside with to kids and a dog
Awning
Drawer system
Snorkel - They are cool.... but I havnt had a strong enough reason to get one yet.
Aux lighting - the HID conversion pushed this way down on my list. The need just has not been as pressing since doing it.
Lockers - Atrac on this has taken me everywhere I have wanted to go. When that stops happening or I blow a diff, I will get lockers.
4.88 gears - If I ever blow a diff, I will get lockers and regear.

Hope this helps!

EDIT:

Before I got my 100 I seriously looked at the LR's. In the end the legendary Landcruiser reliability made the choice easier. I havent followed the LR3 reliability since then. But, LR's in general have been known to be plagued with problems (at least that is what I found in my research).

The seqoia is nice, but larger than a LC and like was mentioned there isnt much of anything in the way of mods.

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
My wife and I bought a 99, LC100 and love it. Very solid feel and ride...Very solid...built like a tank. I have put a lift, bumper, and some other goodies on it. I wanted the rear locker so I went for a 99. Couldn't be more happy. Wouldn't touch a Land Rover at all...But, that is my opinion only. I have only met people that have put a lot of money into them. I do like the look of them though...

SirCampalot

Adventurer
We went from a mildly modded '07 FJ Cruiser to a '02 100 series LC due to the addition of two little ones. We absolutely love the LC... extremely reliable, decent off-road capability (stock suspension with the removal of running boards and the addition of 33" BFG AT's).

Aftermarket support is getting better... lots of quality upgrades are available at a reasonable cost.

The only thing that I dislike about the rig is the integrated Nav/audio/climate control. I wish I had been patient and held out for a non-nav model with the manual climate controls.

Otherwise, it's a really sweet rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior