100 series LC/Lx470 vs Land Rover LR3 vs 1st generation Sequoia

Krisbarger

Observer
Not going nuts. You're misleading the folks really bad here though. Of course there are always trade-offs when modifying vehicles. If the dude wants more info he can PM me or check my site.

For 10-years (longer than most everyone) I've run 35's without rubbing (zero rubbing)...CV joints last a long time (years)...steering is excellent...worn racks have been an issue every 40K-ish though I'm also a guy who has bent rear axles. Most have not had the early rack leakages like I have nor the bent axles.

Nope...if somebody needs 35's for the trails they run...it's a no-brainer thing to do on a 100. The obstacles on the trails I run require greater than that of a 33-inch tire for certain. It's not about how long a trail is...it's about how difficult it is.

132969833_NyGxa-XL.jpg

132973327_iinHa-XL.jpg

That is just sick!

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Memories. I'm not "foruming" any more. Really don't wheel. Ah this brings me back! It's funny too...as I read about 3 posts here about 35 vs 33's. I plain HAD to have 35's for the things I climbed over and over especially that bottom pic. Now that we don't wheel I plan on going to 33's and reducing my lift back to 2" so the truck is lower, rides a bit nicer, is faster....but that's when the KM2's are worn out. Need KO's again for sure! I hope I don't regret it though at this point it'd be looks wise. Sure looks best at this height and 35's. Oh memories...of some of the knotheads on the forums too. LOL!

fireball

Explorer
Shotts - I've got your MUD build bookmarked and your rig is the reason I went with the ARB sahara! Very nice build.

Abuck99

01 LX470 or 06 LR3SE

Newbie post to an old thread.

My Goal: Purchasing a capable overland travel vehicle that requires minimal up-fitting

I’m in the process of searching for LX470 or LR3 to set up as an overland travel rig. Mainly its off highway use will be tracks, trails, probably nothing extreme. We’ll spend 10days +/- in it at a time, so its got to be able to carry a load, and be comfortable. I expect to drive it 1,500 -2,000 miles of interstate to & from my vacation spot to then head off road for extended 5-6 day trips, so its got to have nice road manners and has to be capable off road in relatively stock form. I’ve chosen theses two vehicles because they check several boxes for me: very capable in stock form, reasonable hauling capacity, comfortable and roomy. Both platforms are are well supported in the aftermarket (not with out opposing reputations). I’ve got a tight budget of $15k.

For $15k what can you get? 2001-2004 LX470/LC with 150+,000 miles, in a proven solid reliable Toyota platform. Or a 2006-2008 LR3 SE with 100k miles for under $12k with change left over to make repairs or upgrades.

I’ve studied at length the pros & cons, and fully aware of the LR3 reputation, but it is still on my list for these reasons: Compared to the LX470 the Yes LR3 has poor resale, the flipside is lower up front cost, 4-5 years newer ,lower miles and usually in better condition inside & out, and ofcourse very capable in stock form. I think the majority of bad rap the LR’s get are initial ownership; first 100k miles of ownership. I figure that the majority of major issues have presented themselves by 100k- with the exception of the airbag suspension and regular maintenance. The unknown for me is how will the LR3 stack up from 100,000k to 200,000k?

Considering that which ever vehicle I choose I will be initially putting $2k in service related expenses, sorting out worn items and doing some proper PM to create a reliable rig. We know the reputation the Toyotas have as pretty reliable vehicles that see 200-250-300,000 miles. Question is what is the cost of ownership & maintenance for the LC/LX470 between 150k-and 250k miles vs the LR3 from 100k to 200k miles? Are the cost of parts relatively the same? For work that requires a mechanic are the labor rates and flat rate hours similar? Once the major issues are sorted out I have the feeling that there isn’t much difference in cost to operate, which is why I posted this to learn from more experienced owners.

Circling back to my goal: On a $15k budget, buying a capable overland travel vehicle that requires minimal up-fitting. I am at a cross roads and looking for some input from LR3 owners and 100 Series owners to add some input to my decision process. I have access to a clean 06 LR3 98,000 miles for 10k, or a 2004 LX470 with 150K for 15k, or a 01 LX470 with 150K for $12,900.

Thanks

Newbie post to an old thread.

My Goal: Purchasing a capable overland travel vehicle that requires minimal up-fitting

I'm in the process of searching for LX470 or LR3 to set up as an overland travel rig. Mainly its off highway use will be tracks, trails, probably nothing extreme. We'll spend 10days +/- in it at a time, so its got to be able to carry a load, and be comfortable. I expect to drive it 1,500 -2,000 miles of interstate to & from my vacation spot to then head off road for extended 5-6 day trips, so its got to have nice road manners and has to be capable off road in relatively stock form. I've chosen theses two vehicles because they check several boxes for me: very capable in stock form, reasonable hauling capacity, comfortable and roomy. Both platforms are are well supported in the aftermarket (not with out opposing reputations). I've got a tight budget of $15k.

For $15k what can you get? 2001-2004 LX470/LC with 150+,000 miles, in a proven solid reliable Toyota platform. Or a 2006-2008 LR3 SE with 100k miles for under $12k with change left over to make repairs or upgrades.

I've studied at length the pros & cons, and fully aware of the LR3 reputation, but it is still on my list for these reasons: Compared to the LX470 the Yes LR3 has poor resale, the flipside is lower up front cost, 4-5 years newer ,lower miles and usually in better condition inside & out, and ofcourse very capable in stock form. I think the majority of bad rap the LR's get are initial ownership; first 100k miles of ownership. I figure that the majority of major issues have presented themselves by 100k- with the exception of the airbag suspension and regular maintenance. The unknown for me is how will the LR3 stack up from 100,000k to 200,000k?

Considering that which ever vehicle I choose I will be initially putting $2k in service related expenses, sorting out worn items and doing some proper PM to create a reliable rig. We know the reputation the Toyotas have as pretty reliable vehicles that see 200-250-300,000 miles. Question is what is the cost of ownership & maintenance for the LC/LX470 between 150k-and 250k miles vs the LR3 from 100k to 200k miles? Are the cost of parts relatively the same? For work that requires a mechanic are the labor rates and flat rate hours similar? Once the major issues are sorted out I have the feeling that there isn't much difference in cost to operate, which is why I posted this to learn from more experienced owners.

Circling back to my goal: On a $15k budget, buying a capable overland travel vehicle that requires minimal up-fitting. I am at a cross roads and looking for some input from LR3 owners and 100 Series owners to add some input to my decision process. I have access to a clean 06 LR3 98,000 miles for 10k, or a 2004 LX470 with 150K for 15k, or a 01 LX470 with 150K for $12,900.

Thanks

This will be biased as I own a 100 series, and posting this in the land rover forum would probably lead to people telling you to go lr3.

There is a reason 100 series hold their value more, they are incredibly heavy duty and reliable. I can't count how many 100 series I have seen on mud with over 300,000 miles and no critical failures. An lr3 was a big step up from the disco 2, but it is still no where near the level of a land cruiser. 05-07 lr3 were riddled with electrical gremlins I believe, so I would say find the lowest mileage 100 series and go for it, even if it is a 98-2002, but 2003 has lots of nice upgrades. With patience and nice rust free 2003 can be found with about 130,000 on it for your budget, or you could get an earlier model with those miles and upgrade suspension, tires, arb etc.

Land rover has a great following and has improved their reputation a lot since the disco 1 and 2 days, but don't ever think an lr3 would be as reliable as a 100 series of older age, and I would be scared driving a ticking time bomb like that. Lr3 would probably be more fun to drive because of more power, but the 2uz in the 100 is possibly one of the most reliable engines toyota ever sent to North America, and the entire 100 series was designed with over built components.

As far as costs, it's rare a 100 series would have any critical failures between 150,000-250 miles, but I don't have enough experience with an lr3 to know the cost of repairs, but finding a rover specialty shop can be difficult and getting parts in can be a task.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Not an owner yet but will be in a few days. Done my research before buying so know a few things....

-What year 100 series is best and why????
98/99 if you want rear locker. 2003+ got the 5spd auto trans. 2000+ got a 4 pinion front diff over the earlier weaker 2 pinion.
-What are the strengths and weaknesses of your 100 series LC????
Strengths: engine, will go for over 300k fairly easily, maybe 400-500k. Build quality overall. Trans & T-case are strong.
Weaknesses: non FF rear axle. Timing belt every 90k. Torsion bar front suspension kind of sucks (from a modifying standpoint) and only gives 5" of travel and mpg kind of sucks.
-What major problems have you had with your 100 series LC????(Major failures, enough to leave you stranded)
Me, none. To watch for though are: Rack and pinion steering (100-200k seems normal for replacement), exhaust manifolds crack, CV boots leak, ABS control module thingy goes out, starter is under the intake manifold, after 10yrs leather seems to go to crap.
-Other minor problems with your LC100????(annoyances such as electrical stuff)
Sun roofs are known to bust.
-What modifications are a must have????
For me? Small lift, 33's, lockers and bumpers. Otherwise, nothing.
-Which modifications have you done that you wish you hadn't????
zero at this time.

Cheers

Abuck99

RMP&O, and Tundraexplorer-

Thank you for your input and observations. Conventional wisdom tells me definitely get a 100 series, but I cannot explain the weird "force" that makes the LR appealing to me.

As for LR parts availability- I dont see too much of a problem- there are a bunch of large aftermarket & OEM online retailers that have inventory and can ship same day. Luckily I have very reputable independent rover shop about 5 miles from the house. Of course that wont help me much out in the middle of Nevada if something takes a sh_t.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Conventional wisdom tells me definitely get a 100 series, but I cannot explain the weird "force" that makes the LR appealing to me

FWIW, the UZJ100 is the finest truck I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot.... That "force" you feel is the same that drives men to Wife 3.0, and ultimately exhausts ones bank account and 401K. The allure becomes lust and ten years later you wish you were hooked on crack.

Abuck99

Crazy end to this story- earlier in the week I had placed an auto bid for an 05 LC on ebay, figuring I would be outbid by a longshot- but I am now the surprised owner of an 05 100 series LC (and under budget)- lets hope it checks out as good as the pictures. Thanks for the the advice.

MTSN

Explorer
I think the majority of bad rap the LR’s get are initial ownership; first 100k miles of ownership. I figure that the majority of major issues have presented themselves by 100k- with the exception of the airbag suspension and regular maintenance. The unknown for me is how will the LR3 stack up from 100,000k to 200,000k?

I fail to see the logic that a vehicle which isn't reliable when it's new through 100k miles will somehow magically be MORE reliable from 100k to 200k. That simply won't happen, and if you buy under that pretense, I think you will be very sorry. I was recently considering a full size RR for my wife, and I found that virtually no company will sell a decent aftermarket warranty on one. I was looking at a 2011-2012 RR with under 50k miles, and the only reputable warranty company was offering $8500 for a 2 year 24k mile warranty. I, like many others here, truly like Land Rovers and think they're one of best looking/capable vehicles around, but they are simply not worth the time, effort and money to keep them operating optimally IMO. I see so many threads asking why Land Cruisers are so expensive, and after being an owner of a built one I can say they are quite simply worth it. There is nothing with a better balance of reliability, capability, safety and comfort on the road.

* Edit - I see you purchased a 100. You made the right choice :D Congrats!

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
This one?
s-l1600.jpg

It's local to me. Good thing I hadn't seen it or you might have had competition. Hopefully the timing belt has been done already. If not, it is WAY overdue, but for that price it is still a good deal. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles