Land Rover LR3 vs 100 series LC/Lx470 vs 1st generation Sequoia

khronus79

Adventurer
Yesssssss, another comparo thread .

I've read MANY, MANY threads these past few weeks comparing Land Cruisers vs Land Rovers of all types and must admit that is hard reading through all the bias opinions and extract the few non bias posts in the forums. Toyota forums bash on Land Rovers and Land Rover forums are quick to return the favor.

Mi idea is not necessarily to do a head to head comparison, what I would like to do is gather as much data as possible from actual owners of all 3 trucks, and then post all that in one place to make it easier for others that are looking for the same answers.

The reason I chose these 3 trucks is their capacity for 7 passengers, their price, and of course their 4wd.
An early LC100/Lx470 can be had for around 15k(give or take a couple of grand), I've found models from 1998 to 2002, with mileage anywhere from mid 70ks to 250k.
For the same price one can have a 2005/2006 Land Rover Lr3 with much lower mileage.
The Sequoia is the oddball of the trio, being larger and heftier overall, but lately I've seen more and more of these being used as an adventure type vehicle and tackling some off road obstacles, maybe not a full blown rock crawler but it seems to hold its own on mild offroading. The 2005 to 2007 Sequoia can be had for as low as 10k with mileage in the low 70ks to mid 100ks.

So, since this is the Land Rover section of the forum
-What year LR3 Land Rover is best and why????
-What are the strengths and weaknesses of your Land Rover LR3????
-What major problems have you had with your Land Rover LR3????(Major failures, enough to leave you stranded)
-Other minor problems with your Land Rover LR3????(annoyances such as electrical stuff)
-What modifications are a must have????
-Which modifications have you done that you wish you hadn't????

I'll post this same thread in the Land Cruiser section and I'll try to compile as many answers as possible.
Thanks in advance for any input/info you decide to share.

khronus79

Adventurer
Reserved for Specifications

Land Rover LR3 Specs
Wheel Base: 113.6 in.
Length: 190.9 in.
Width: 75.4 in.
Height: 74.5 in.
Curb Weight: 5426 lbs
Engine: 4.4L V8
HP: 300
TQ: 315
Fuel Tank Capacity: 22.8 gal.
City MPG : 13
HWY MPG: 17
Aprox. Range: 342 mi.
Towing: 7700 lbs.
Payload: 1800 lbs

Ground Clearance: 9.5 in.
Approach Angle: 37.2 deg
Departure Angle: 29.6 deg
BreakOver Angle: 27.9 deg
Roll Over Angle: 44 deg
RTI 20deg. ramp: 519
Front Wheel Travel: 10 in.
Rear Wheel Travel: 13 in.

Water Fording Depth: 28 in.

Toyota Land Cruiser LC100, Lexus LX470 Specs:
Wheel Base: 112 in.
Length: 193 in.
Width: 76.4 in.
Height: 72.8 in.
Curb Weight: 5100 lbs
Engine: 4.7L V8
HP: 228
TQ: 320
Fuel Tank Capacity: 25.4 gal.
City MPG : 13
HWY MPG: 17
Aprox. Range: 381 mi.
Towing: 6500 lbs.
Payload: 1500 lbs

Ground Clearance: 9.8 in.
Approach Angle: 33 deg
Departure Angle: 19 deg
BreakOver Angle: 25 deg
Roll Over Angle: 45 deg
RTI 20deg. ramp: 548
Front Wheel Travel:
Rear Wheel Travel:

Water Fording Depth: 34 in.

Toyota Sequoia 1st gen. Specs
Wheel Base: 118.1 in.
Length: 203.9 in.
Width: 78.9 in.
Height: 74 in.
Curb Weight: 5300 lbs
Engine: 4.7L V8
HP: 282
TQ: 325
Fuel Tank Capacity: 26.4 gal.
City MPG : 15
HWY MPG: 18
Aprox. Range: 435 mi.
Towing: 6500 lbs.
Payload: 1330 lbs

Ground Clearance: 10.6 in.
Approach Angle: 28 deg
Departure Angle: 20 deg
BreakOver Angle:
Roll Over Angle:
RTI 20deg. ramp:
Front Wheel Travel:
Rear Wheel Travel:

Water Fording Depth:

If you see any mistakes or can fill in the blanks, please let me know I'll update this post as soon as possible.

cdm

Adventurer
You want to go places? LR

You want to go places with less worry and haul more stuff? LC

You want to go to macys? Sequoia

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I cannot address the Toy segment having been away from them since switching to LR in the early 90s. However, a '06 to '08 LR3 with a 2" lift, ARB bumper w/ winch, decent tires and possibly a roofrack is an amazing vehicle. Gets half decent fuel mileage, minimal issues- almost none for a LR, and halfway reasonable maintenance cost. The ride and ergonomics are great, materials top quality, and fun to drive- both on and off road, and more capable than at least 95% of it's drivers. Downside- resale, which you already have behind you given the '06-'08 model and the upgrade to LR4 by LR.
Hope this helps, and thanks for a honest attempt to compare- best of luck.

Roverhound

Adventurer
I don't see too much Toyota bashing on Land Rover sites.
Why do you think this site will be any less biased? The Toyota guys love to come over here and bash LR.
If you have to ask this question, get the Sequoia.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
They're both great vehicles, the LC is going to be more reliable and stout; the LR is going to be better off road, but more at the risk of relying on electronics.

khronus79

Adventurer
I cannot address the Toy segment having been away from them since switching to LR in the early 90s. However, a '06 to '08 LR3 with a 2" lift, ARB bumper w/ winch, decent tires and possibly a roofrack is an amazing vehicle. Gets half decent fuel mileage, minimal issues- almost none for a LR, and halfway reasonable maintenance cost. The ride and ergonomics are great, materials top quality, and fun to drive- both on and off road, and more capable than at least 95% of it's drivers. Downside- resale, which you already have behind you given the '06-'08 model and the upgrade to LR4 by LR.
Hope this helps, and thanks for a honest attempt to compare- best of luck.
Thanks, this is precisely what I'm looking for, first hand experience from an actual owner.
I don't see too much Toyota bashing on Land Rover sites.
Why do you think this site will be any less biased? The Toyota guys love to come over here and bash LR.
If you have to ask this question, get the Sequoia.
I don't think this site would be any less biased, that's why I didn't ask for opinions on a truck you do not own. I only want opinions on your actual truck, what it is that u like/dislike about your truck, not the competition's truck.
This way people can see honest opinions from actual owners and not hearsay.

Mack73

Adventurer
As an owner of an 08 LR3 - here is my opinion

-What year LR3 Land Rover is best and why????
2008 for the LR3. All the kinks were worked out by then, but still before they started messing with things in preparation for the LR4. Last year of the black fender flares and bumpers.

-What are the strengths and weaknesses of your Land Rover LR3????
Strength - The vehicle is very stout. The engine, tranny, diffs, transfer case, CV/Drive shafts are very robust, trail spares are more on the sensor/electronic side than replacement parts. There are no "major" issues or mods needed. Air suspension can raise or lower by 2" for more ground clearance or tight parking garages. Terrain response is magic and is extremely good at adapting the vehicle to the terrain conditions. It is VERY good as an on road DD and equally good in the dirt. It is the most perfect mix of the two I have ever owned.

Weakness - The shear amount of electronics. The damn thing is almost too smart for its own good = lots of failure points. Air suspension can be a pain when out in the bush. Coils would be more reliable out on the trail, but at the expense of the terrain response system. The bushings are known for going out somewhere between 30-50k. It is heavy so it will go through consumable items quickly (brakes, rotors, bushings, tires, etc)

-What major problems have you had with your Land Rover LR3????(Major failures, enough to leave you stranded)
Knock on wood - no problems at all

-Other minor problems with your Land Rover LR3????(annoyances such as electrical stuff)
Again, no problems at all

-What modifications are a must have????
Tires designed for the dirt, skids and sliders as body damage is never fun.

-Which modifications have you done that you wish you hadn't????
Nothing, haven't done too much. BFG tires, rods, and skids

Edit: more just general info for your collection. All LR3's have a CDL. There is an optional Rear locking diff included in the "Heavy Duty" (HD) package - although the electronics can do probably about 90% of what the phyical locking diff can do.

rfh1987

What year LR3 Land Rover is best and why?
I would suggest 2006 or later. Land Rover added some refinements to the LR3 in 2006. Probably the biggest, in my opinion, is the optional Bluetooth system, for hands-free operation of your phone. It includes a decent voice-activation system, and the controls for the phone are strait forward, and don't require you to remove your hands from the steering wheel.
What are the strengths of your Land Rover LR3?
The frame is amazingly stiff. While off-roading, I have never sensed twisting of the frame. I have also closely watched videos of LR3s on woopy-doos, and not noticed any twisting of the frame.
I have a lot of head-knowledge of off-roading, but only a little experience. This vehicle makes it SOOOOOO easy. I have just all-season tires, with no air let out, and have gone up gravelly slopes I never thought I'd make, with little or no trouble. Once, I bottomed out. The LR3 sensed this, and raised the suspension even higher! I was out in 2 seconds. :)
The Harmon Kardon 14-speaker system is AMAZING. I had a guy ask how much my speaker system cost, because he thought it was after-market!
What are the weaknesses of your Land Rover LR3?
In the turns, the car definitely feels like a large SUV. However, because of its low center of gravity (for an SUV), you actually can take turns very quickly.
The volume of the Navigation System lady is directly linked to how loud the radio volume is. You can change the volume of the lady simply, with the volume nob. However, after finishing what she is saying, when she starts talking again, it is at the radio volume, again. This isn't a problem if listening to the radio or CDs, because the volume is pretty good, but you have to crank up the volume if you have your MP3 player connected to the system. So, when she talks, she is WAY too loud. I bought the car used. So, maybe it wasn't originally like that, but it is something to check if you are looking into getting one.
What major problems have you had with your Land Rover LR3 (Major failures, enough to leave you stranded)?
I've never had my Land Rover break on me, in a way that left me stranded. The closest thing is that my parking brake's electric motor broke. When I get it fixed, it is going to leave me $1,700 poorer. I don't think it is a common problem, but the sales people love to show off the electric parking brake, and it probably just got over-used in "emergency" stops (which, by the way, are impressive).
What other minor problems have you had with your Land Rover LR3 (annoyances such as electrical stuff)?
Land Rover has had a history with electrical problems, but really tried to fix that with the LR3. I have had no problems other than having to get the driver's door lock replaced (at 95,000 miles), and that wasn't an electrical problem.
What modifications are a must have?
This really depends on what you are going to do with your LR3. The only modifications that I can imagine someone doing are performance mods and off-road mods. This is not a performance car, by any means, but its acceleration is decent for a large, heavy, off-road-capable SUV. I've never timed it myself, but www.zeroto60times.com says 8.5 seconds.
Off-road-wise, the stock vehicle is incredibly capable. If it isn't enough for you, you may want to lift it, which allows you to put larger tires on. There are several lift kits out there. The easiest take advantage of the air suspension, by either tricking the sensor, or using a computer. Tricking the sensor replaces a rod that connects the suspension to the sensor. Using a computer has you plug into an easily-accessible port, under the stearing wheel, and change the LR3's settings for hight. Whatever system you go with, be sure to do your research.

Here are three different options for tricking the sensor:
- www.JohnsonRods.com: $135. 2.5" lift.
- www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk/rods.html: £125.00. Unknown lift amount (maybe 2"?). Search on blogs for exact height. Adjustable (can easily go between off-road raise, and normal mode)
- http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2206: $268. Up to 2.25" raise. Infinitely adjustable.

Here is the best option for lifting by using a computer:
- www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/eascontrol.html: Around $250. Infinitely adjustable. This device just came out, and I therefore do not know much about how to get it, but is what I want to get, for myself.

Land Rover sells a lot of modifications, themselves, which are good. This includes skid plates and winches. If you want rock sliders, you are going to have to look else-ware. I'd like to put a winch on mine, but don't want it to be so visible, and I don't want it to affect my approach angle. www.lucky8llc.com has an in-bumper set-up which looks promising, which I also have on my list of things to do.
Which modifications have you done that you wish you hadn't?
I have not done any modifications, yet. I only had the vehicle for a month before we were out of off-road season.
Other thoughts:
I highly recommend the Heavy-Duty package. Even if you aren't an avid off-roader, you'll appreciate the full-size spare tire. If you are an off-roader, you will appreciate the rear locking diff.
The optional navigation system is extremely smooth operating. My parents have an '08 Ford Explorer, with its highly-regarded Sync system and navigation system. I like the Land Rover's navigation system better. It has a bigger screen, and (as already mentioned) it is smoother. The navigational structure (how to get to various parts of the software) isn't as structured as Ford's, but it works well. What I want always seems to be where I expect it.
The room of the seats is amazing. I have 7 seats, and used all of them on a 2.5 hour road trip, without any complaints. One of the guys in the third row was 6'4"!
It may be tempting to get the LR4, at this point. However, if you want to modify your vehicle, wait. The LR4 doesn't have nearly the after-market support of the LR3.

Last edited:

RangeBrover

Explorer
Just my two cents, but the biggest difference you will see is versatility. Don't get me wrong the Land Cruiser will take you to the remote parts of the world and has a great reliability record to go with it, but the LR3 will take you to the same place, and then when you get back onto the highway you'll still love driving it. The newer Rovers excel at on road and off road performance, I always get a kick out of listening to people at events pissing and moaning about only being able to go 60 down the highway. I love being able to cruise down the highway at 80, the seating is the most comfortable you'll ever experience, and when you get to the trail you're ready to roll. Don't get me wrong, Land Rover's aren't perfect, but from what I've experienced with my 08 Range Rover, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. In 60k miles, it's never left me stranded, and it's never had a major component fail. I know it's still early in it's life, but I'm handy enough with a wrench and know my way around the vehicle enough to make due. So if you don't mind a life long love affair, buy the LR3 and you'll be happy.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that owning a Land Rover is like marrying the woman of your dreams, you might get into arguments from time to time, but you'll never want anything else.

khronus79

Adventurer
some great observations in the last two posts.
Rfh1987, you're absolutely right about the 3rd row seats, we recently did a 3 hour trip, and I sat back there for the whole trip, no complaints very comfy.

Between the Land Cruiser and the LR3 you have just got to get in them and drive them. They are different beasts, both will get you were you want to go. You'll know when you drive them which one is correct, because you will get out smiling. Good luck with the debate, but just get the right truck for you and go explore!

biskit

Adventurer
When you drive off road at a crawl, then on road at speed, you can't help but have the Permagrin in a Disco3.:drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94