Trailer Jack

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Could someone reccomend a trailer jack for a expedition-type trailer? I just picked up this puppy for expo member Rhode Trip and my floor jack doesn't have the reach to lift the trailer up. I not real familiar with the hi-lift jacks but from surfing around here it seems like standard eqpt for overlanders - am I right? If that's what i need what model do you have experience with and what model would work best? This is what the trailer looks like:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/41069-Outlander-Sherpa-II-for-sale

Thanks for any help you can provide....Ed

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
There's a few things to know...

Do you need a wheel and have to move it around?

If not get yourself a nice dropfoot jack from ETrailer.

I have seen a few guys take a scaffold wheel and weld it on the bottom of a plate and use that.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you are looking for a jack to lift the trailer while doing maintenance or changing a tire then the Hi Lift is a good selection.

The Hi Lift is a wonderful tool but can really come back and bite you if used incorrectly. Know this tool before you use it.

For field repairs I like to leave the trailer attached to the vehicle when ever possible. If I'm working on a trailer using a high lift in my garage or the shop I chock the wheels and depending on what I'm doing put a tall axle stand underneath for support. You can never be too careful.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I always leave the trailer hitched up when working on it. As for a jack, there are a few of the aluminum body jacks that will lift the axle up to having 35in tires, I like mine.

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I need the jack to change a tire, not the jack that mounts to the tougue. Ordered a 4' hi - lift. Think its what I'm looking for.

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Confirmed that the trailer has the framework to support the trailer near the wheel wells - thanks for the heads up on that...

Robert Bills

Explorer
Get a bottle jack with sufficient lift. For changing tires you need to lift the tire, not necessarily the entire trailer.

rk_az

Adventurer
I use a Hi-Lift. Fortunately, the guy that built my trailer had the presence of mind to incorporate 2 jack points on each side of the trailer:

P1100041-1.jpg

Woods

Explorer
I never recommend using a hi-lift for changing tires. For changing tires, you'll want to lift the axle (or spindle) NOT the trailer frame. Hi-lifts certainly have their place and I'd recommend having one, but not for changing tires. A scissor jack or bottle jack are both better for changing tires. Put a good mount on THIS and you'll be set. Here's a good mount: SWAG OFFROAD BOTTLE JACK AXLE MOUNT

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
I never recommend using a hi-lift for changing tires. For changing tires, you'll want to lift the axle (or spindle) NOT the trailer frame. Hi-lifts certainly have their place and I'd recommend having one, but not for changing tires. A scissor jack or bottle jack are both better for changing tires. Put a good mount on THIS and you'll be set. Here's a good mount: SWAG OFFROAD BOTTLE JACK AXLE MOUNT

I will second this. Even up to 35" tires, the factory bottle jack works very well. The Hi-Lift is a nice tool for certain things but I almost NEVER use it as a jack itself. Actually it gets used more for fence repair than anything else...

Best of Luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz