Adventure Trailer Mod Thread

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Not really too much of a trailer mod, but I'll throw them in anyways. The first pic is a pair of lucky 4 dice on the schrader valve covers for the airbags. The second pic is the Stainless hooks that attach to the Defender's hitch for towing. I Plastic Dipped them and they are silent!

gillti

Adventurer
Andrew, I think the dipped hardware is one of the coolest things you have done so far. Very clean and useful.

You have more of those dice than anyone I have ever met! (I've seen your bike collection!:)
tjg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Andrew Walcker said:
I just finished this one a few weekends ago. Basically bolted a sailboat cleat (West Marine) with Stainless hardware to the top of the cap for the water tank. The issue was that the cap was somtimes hard to remove (when hands are cold, change in altitude/pessure in tank, etc.) Makes removing/installing the cap a breeze and some bling to boot!

I like it...I like it! Same issue...gonna be the same solution :)

Graci!

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
gillti said:
Andrew, I think the dipped hardware is one of the coolest things you have done so far. Very clean and useful.

Thanks, you gotta be careful with the plastic dip because once you start, it's hard to stop! I actually went looking for other things to dip in the garage. I got in trouble when my wife caught me sticking the cat's paws in the can...:shakin:

gillti said:
You have more of those dice than anyone I have ever met! (I've seen your bike collection!:)
tjg

Yea, it's a sickness...but I did manage to break my dice streak and went with chrome skulls on the rims! I'm a sucka for the bling:costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
spressomon said:
I like it...I like it! Same issue...gonna be the same solution :)

Graci!

The trick with this one is to not go too wide as the bolts will not fit on the underside of the cap. I went with a 5" sailboat cleat and it could not have been a better fit with were the bolts came out the bottom. I didn't even drill, just used an awl and punched through the plastic. I even set the cap upside down w/ water in it and it did not leak through the bolt holes.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
spressomon said:
I keep trying to find/figure out a propane heater that I can adapt for use in the ccccold weather months. I saw this...relativey small...could build a collapsible stand for it...use flex tubing to get the hot air into the tent. Any thoughts one way or the other?

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/dynatrailsfseriesfurnacesbysuburban.html

I believe the folks who make the tiny propane hot water shower also make a tent safe heater. The name slips me now... "z" something.

I will try to track it down.

Rezarf <><

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
spressomon said:
I keep trying to find/figure out a propane heater that I can adapt for use in the ccccold weather months. I saw this...relativey small...could build a collapsible stand for it...use flex tubing to get the hot air into the tent. Any thoughts one way or the other?

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/dynatrailsfseriesfurnacesbysuburban.html

I'm curious, did you look at/or have used the Zodi tent heater and decided to go in a different direction? I have a Zodi that I cut the battery clips off and soldered a cig lighter adapter onto so that I can plug it into the cig lighter recepetacle on the nose box of the AT. Still need to figure out how to tap it off the propane tank instead of using the smaller disposable canisters...

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Andrew Walcker said:
I'm curious, did you look at/or have used the Zodi tent heater and decided to go in a different direction? I have a Zodi that I cut the battery clips off and soldered a cig lighter adapter onto so that I can plug it into the cig lighter recepetacle on the nose box of the AT. Still need to figure out how to tap it off the propane tank instead of using the smaller disposable canisters...

The Zodi would work...ideally it would need some kind of t-stat for overnight use. Then Zodi warns not to use overnight unattended...

TheRoadie

Explorer
Andrew Walcker said:
Still need to figure out how to tap it off the propane tank instead of using the smaller disposable canisters...
Coleman, Texsport, Century and others make propane distribution poles to mount to a bulk cylinder and tap off sideways with hoses for grills, etc. And the top of the pole is a fitting like a disposable tank, so you can put on a lantern or a Zodi:

24903w.jpg

The Zodi tent heater turbine whine would sure keep the coyotes away at night, I'm not sure I could sleep through it.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Andrew Walcker said:

Andrew-

Mr. Heater sells about every single adapter you could ever need/want for hooking up propane stuff. They will have exactly what you are looking for. They make all kinds of patch hoses to go from the one pound tanks to whatever else you can think of.

Hope it helps.

Rezarf <><

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Thanks Roadie and Rezarf, great links and exactly how I was thinking of going with it. Your right, that little booger is loud! I guess you are not supposed to let it go all night, maybe that is the good part about the disposable canisters is that they run out and turn the Zodi off in the middle of the night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles