4x6 Aluminum Trailer

BC_Explorer

I seen this 4x 6 aluminum trailer for sale and have an interest in it as a base for a mild to moderate off-road trailer to tow behind my Cherokee. I am not into hard core off-road and just looking for another smaller trailer to load some gear, a couple of mountain bikes and a 10' canoe etc. I know that I would need to do some mods and add to the trailer but most of the heavy work is done already. One thing I did email the dealer about is the back doors on the trailer as it looks like they are not accessible to open unless the lid is lifted which is hinged on the front side. I also inquired about the axle, meaning if it is leaf or torsion and currently awaiting a reply.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this trailer for this type of use.

Area52

Adventurer
BC,

That's a nice trailer for the price.

The main thing I would look for is a 3500 lbs axle and shocks and I'm guessing it has neither.

I suspect it isn't durable enough to sustain washboard roads for any length of time.

Again, just a guess.

Jim

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I've crusied their website many times...they look to be making top notched stuff.

There was a guy over on Mud that had that trailer and loved it, it was his camping/project/motorcycle trailer.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hey BC...

I have looked at their site a few times, nice stuff. I was looking for an M101 CDN trailer, and his stuff was my backup plan. Definitely don't want a torsion axle, leafs and shocks are the way to go. I really like the look of the stuff he/they build, and yes it looks like it could be an excellent off road trailer.

A few mods to it for the rear doors etc if needed...he might be able to do them for you if they make them on site, which I think they do. Where in BC are you?

BC_Explorer

Hey BC...

I have looked at their site a few times, nice stuff. I was looking for an M101 CDN trailer, and his stuff was my backup plan. Definitely don't want a torsion axle, leafs and shocks are the way to go. I really like the look of the stuff he/they build, and yes it looks like it could be an excellent off road trailer.

A few mods to it for the rear doors etc if needed...he might be able to do them for you if they make them on site, which I think they do. Where in BC are you?

Thanks for the info. I live in the Lower Mainland. Since my initial post, I have found that there is a Express Manufacturing distributor in Langley. I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they have the same trailer in stock and it may be worth a drive out to them to get a first hand look. If I go, I will take the camera and get some better pics to post here for more feedback on the trailer construction and design.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

Yeah, just found the address on their site after I saw your link.

Nice looking stuff they have. If I remember correctly I e-mailed them about a custom job, but they never returned my e-mail?
Greg

BC_Explorer

Yeah, just found the address on their site after I saw your link.

Nice looking stuff they have. If I remember correctly I e-mailed them about a custom job, but they never returned my e-mail?
Greg

Greg, are you referring to the actual manufacturer on the island or the distributor in Langley?

Woods

Explorer
Nice stuff, great prices. I really like their dry boxes.

Not sure about the other trailer, but from the looks of the following picture, the frame might be bolted together. If it's not welded and you're driving on a lot of bumpy roads, you going to want to keep an eye on the frame. If he could weld a frame up, that would be better.

100-0040_IMG.JPG

VanIsle_Greg

Was the Langley location...

All good, found a local fab place and decided to go a different direction anyhow.

Still looks like a promising trailer.

BC_Explorer

A follow-up. Earlier today, I stopped by a local dealer that carries the aluminum trailers that I first linked to my original post. This dealer is not a full fledged partner with the trailer manufacturing company and only had a few trailers on display and unfortunately, there were no 4x6 trailers that I had posted about.

Of the trailers on display, I took photos that depict some of the workmanship and construction of the trailers there and I would surmise that the same would apply to the 4x trailer in the above link. That said, I am far from an expert on aluminum welding and perhaps others here can comment on the quality of the welds. There are also a couple of more photos in my album.

After spending some time looking over this particular trailer today, I was not overly impressed and feel that for the asking price of this trailer ($2700.00) I expected a little better quality (but maybe too picky). I now have doubts about the 4x6 trailer and it is a long ways to travel to have a closer look...

attachment.php

Notice the issue with the taillight being partially obscured. Two other trailers had the same problem with both right and left taillights.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The spring shackles are bolted to the frame of the trailer via a length of steel stock which I can only guess is to add strength, however as you will see in the next photo, the bolts go through to the floor of the trailer deck.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke