MBT "Willy's" Trailer Build

slimtwo

Adventurer
Ok, I bought this trailer a few weeks ago and posted it here on the portal, calling it an M-100 Bantam. Well long story short, and help from some of you, it is either a T3-c or an MBT "Willy's". I guess for now, I will call it a Willy's.

Well I haven't completely figured out what I am going to do on this build, but for starters, I'm going to remove all the stuff hanging on the sides and in front, and clean it up. I bought a new axle with electric brakes and an over or under set up. That will also give me the 5 on 4.5 I need for the new wheels. I'm gonna start with the axle on the leaf springs, and if that doesn’t give me enough height, then I will do a spring over.
Right now I am trying to decide on the brake controller to install in the Jeep.

Last week I bought two new wheels to match the Jeep, and bought a new set of tires. I had them keep the existing front tires mounted for the trailer.

DSCN2195.jpg

DSCN2197.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
That is so sweet....and I haven't been a trailer man but I've been warning up to them as I see things like this. I think the canopy could be hinged side to side or end to end and work out great......rack and RTT on top....wow....lots of potential. How do you trailer guys secure your unit when you go off adventuring? I have always moved camp with me so that's my lack of trailer interest and worry in the past. :coffee:

slimtwo

Adventurer
This is what I think I'm gonna do on the frame (the blue indicates the addition), and in doing so, I will lengthen the tongue by 12 to 16 inches. The tub does not come off the frame on this trailer, so I am going to have to work around it.

I will frame in the fenders and skin it with sheet steel or diamond plate.

RevisedFrame9-25-11-1.jpg

slimtwo

Adventurer
That is so sweet....and I haven't been a trailer man but I've been warning up to them as I see things like this. I think the canopy could be hinged side to side or end to end and work out great......rack and RTT on top....wow....lots of potential. How do you trailer guys secure your unit when you go off adventuring? I have always moved camp with me so that's my lack of trailer interest and worry in the past. :coffee:

I actually thought about hinging the front of it, but I suppose you could hinge the side just as easy. The Roof rack & RTT, definitely in the future, and as for securing the trailer, as you said, pack up camp and take it with you. That’s the whole reason I’m doing this trailer build, it will be part of the adventure

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
what truck is that topper off of ?
got any pics of what U did to install it ?

I will take some pic's and post it tomorrow, but I didn't do it, one of the previous owners did it. All I know is that it came off of a mini p/u. The length was right on, and for the width, they cut it right down the middle and took a section out in order to fit the width of the trailer, then they glassed it back together. The rear lid and front window were cut down to size, and new glass was cut and fitted in both ends. They did a pretty good job.

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
Nice to see another MB T out there, mines at ih8mud under another MB-T, I will try and add some mods in the next few weeks.

Doug

joearod524

I'm working on an MBT also. I'm going to put matching wheels and tires (33x12.5) on mine also. I was thinking a 53" axle would work with my backspacing. What width axle did you go with? I'll have to keep on eye on your build.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I'm working on an MBT also. I'm going to put matching wheels and tires (33x12.5) on mine also. I was thinking a 53" axle would work with my backspacing. What width axle did you go with? I'll have to keep on eye on your build.

I bought the axle at Redneck Trailer Parts (Riverside Ca), and after crawlin around and measuring everything, we ended up with a 52" axle, so you are about right. My wheels have a 6" offset on the hub side. I should have about an 1 1/2 to 2"'s of space between the tire and the frame.

joearod524

It looks like we ended up with about the same measurements. I ordered a 53" axle with brakes yesterday. Then today I ordered some Procomp 98s and KM2s to match the Jeep. I decided to go with some 3" lift springs instead of a spring over...we'll see how that goes.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I'm taking the Jeep in tomorrow to get the brake switch installed, and then I am picking up the axle and u-bolt kit. I hope to get some time this weekend to work on the trailer, and maybe install the axle, we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz