SoCal Teardrops Krawler 459 - Enhancements

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Good morning guys, not try to be a stickler here but if we could keep this on the subject of the Krawler 459 i would really appreciate it. This thread was started as a enhancement, mod or upgrade posting for this trailer specifically and although i appreciate other manufacturers, their hard work and ingenuity this thread is sort of a build up thread that many create for their vehicles. Now its getting clogged with all sorts of Teardrop posts.

Next we'll talk about new suspension dampening and our Ham radio base communications setup.

Wright

Subscribed and trying to wait patiently :coffee: for your update on the HAM base station, Can't wait to see how you've set that up.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I've been asked a few times and for those that are wondering what the "459" means and why it was chosen, its the length and width of the trailer. 4.5 feet wide by 9 feet long.

Also, quick note.. this trailer will be on Display at the 2011 Off Road Expo in Pomona this weekend. Stop by the SoCal Teardrops Booth in the Main Hall building 4 and say hello!

Damaged 1

adventureduo.......I wish I could stop by Pomona this weekend , unfortunately I can't . I really would like to see that trailer ! I have been looking at the AT teardrop and have been talking to Martyn a bit .....I hang my hat in Wyoming and will be traveling to California this December......Do you know of any places I could schedule to stop by and get a look at one of these trailers........I have fallen in love with these things and really want one , but they aren't cheap ! It would ( hopefully ) help me make a decision if I could actually see and touch one to understand the quality and functionality of them.........

gabepari

Explorer
adventureduo.......I wish I could stop by Pomona this weekend , unfortunately I can't . I really would like to see that trailer ! I have been looking at the AT teardrop and have been talking to Martyn a bit .....I hang my hat in Wyoming and will be traveling to California this December......Do you know of any places I could schedule to stop by and get a look at one of these trailers........I have fallen in love with these things and really want one , but they aren't cheap ! It would ( hopefully ) help me make a decision if I could actually see and touch one to understand the quality and functionality of them.........

If you are traveling to Southern California feel free to stop by the shop and take the "nickle tour".

You can see the trailers in their various stages of construction and get a better feel for the scale of the trailer. We'll even pop you some popcorn and you can watch a movie in the shop trailer :)

Give us a call to schedule a visit.

Gabe Pari
www.socalteardrops.com

Damaged 1

If you are traveling to Southern California feel free to stop by the shop and take the "nickle tour".

You can see the trailers in their various stages of construction and get a better feel for the scale of the trailer. We'll even pop you some popcorn and you can watch a movie in the shop trailer :)

Give us a call to schedule a visit.

Gabe Pari
www.socalteardrops.com
I''ll do it .............. and look forward to the popcorn!

BOHICA

Adventurer
Adventureduo....thanks for the updates. I'm interested in hearing about the types of off-roading you've done with your 459 and how it is holding up. Others have expressed concerns since the 459 shell doesn't have a "metal frame" and can't possibly withstand serious off-roading without disintegrating. As an owner I'd like to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance.
Ken

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I will let Gabe Pari answer the particulars on the build materials, assembly and how it's tied together... so i don't goof it up explaining it wrong.. but to answer all the questions as best i can...

The Krawler 459 is made out of wood frame with ribs for strengthening with an outer anodized aluminum skin. For people that think this trailer may be weak, i can honestly say it is not. We aren't the first owners of this trailer, you may not know. This was our test unit that we acquired as we didn't want to wait for production times to have our own. So we bought the unit that has been through the thick of it.

Literally, Racetrack road in Death Valley, Saline Valley - north and south pass. It's also been through Mojave Road and out to Johnson Valley surrounding trails where folks jaw dropped when they saw it drop off ledges. All this before we even bought it.

We've never ever had a problem with the wood flexing, creaking or any of the sort. I think you need to look at your suspension if you think the trailer is taken that kind of beating. In actuality we watch our side mirrors and hardly ever our rearview mirror. Beings that we watch the tires flutter up and down with the suspension and the actual teardrop sitting still.

Also, the So-Cal Teardrops bodies were called upon by Adventure Trailers as an addition to their line up. They're known for not running junk or something that's going to fall apart. They still assemble SCT's tears on their chassis all the time. If the wood was a problem or the trailers wouldn't hold up, they'd not install them on their chassis.

There's something to be said about lightweight too. Our trailer dry weighs in at 1400 lbs with a tongue weight i can lift myself. If you choose thicker, heavier steel that goes away really quick. Not saying wood construction is the end all to be all, but for this application it works.

Just a few weeks ago our trailer was on display at the Off Road Expo in Pomona, where i heard many people say they thought it was brand new. If only the trailer could talk. :D

Just for those that may not know, we also have an Expedition Planned for December where we'll run thousand miles off road. I'll let you know how it does on that after we get back, but don't hold your breath as it's already proven itself and im sure it will hold up fine.

After 6 months of ownership, this is still our personal favorite peace of equipment and i offer anyone just like Gabe said, to stop by their shop to check them or heck.. you're more than welcome to stop by ours and see how ours looks after tons of off highway miles.. .our door is always open.

BOHICA

Adventurer
Thanks Dave...all good info. A lot of "new" trailers on the market and I wanted to hear from an actual owner before I make the plunge.
Ken

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nothing new to report on the trailer right this moment as we've been busy with our primary business and getting the Landcruiser ready for our CalZona Expedition. However, here's a few other options that So-Cal Teardrops can offer as well.

Spare tire storage upfront on the tongue. Available to any size spec you need or want.

Photos by Tom Perkins of Treeline Teardrops is a Regional Manufacturing Facility of So-Cal Teardrops

treeline.jpg

treeline2.jpg

img1664small.jpg

Also, notice the optional split windows in the Teardrop. Pretty nice for viewing stars in bed or having a little light come through during the day.
img1670small.jpg

Check out all the internal drawers, stereo .. etc.. they can add whatever you need and with any configuration you'd like.
img1991small.jpg

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
What leaf springs are on these trailers?

They are OME's. Also that last pic on last post is the inside of our Krawler or one just like it.

As far as durability goes, wood can be very strong if it is constructed properly "glued and screwed" is the the way to do it. Most of the wood framed RV trailers out there are just stapled together which for the average person is ok as long as they don't venture off road with them, but have a short life span when dragged down corrugated dirt roads. So-Cal does add extra ribs in the shell and they use the best quality wood out there, they are solid as all get out. I work with a guy that is a Hobbyist woodworker and he was totally impressed with the build quality of the So-Cal TD.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
What leaf springs are on these trailers?

Yes, STREGA is correct. Old Man Emu springs with Rancho adjustable shocks so you can adjust accordingly. We were working on some prototype Fox shocks, but it looks like it may have fallen to the wayside for now.

Look for our trailer and a couple other So-Cal Teardrops, including BUZZ OFF version at the Toys 4 Tots event in San Diego on December 10th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94