Garmin releasing new eTrex GPS line

esh

Explorer
They announced in May 2011 and have product pages up on garmin.com. No retailers listed yet. It looks like pre-orders are getting filled and received today. Some retailers are just starting to receive and sell them as well.

What is intriguing is the model 30 is essentially the same as a 62s with slightly better battery life and a more square screen, but otherwise very similar. At $150 cheaper than the 62s.

The model 20 comes without a 3-axis compass/barometer for $250 less than the 62s. Both have the ability to add custom map layers and all the rest of the features.

Model comparison tool- https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

I am a little excited and confused if this got past the marketing department. It seems to be a really nice option for a feature rich but non-premium GPS from Garmin.

Anyone looking at this line? I am interested in how the display does in sunlight compared to the very good HCx display. I have been eyeing the 62s as an upgrade to my 60Csx.

note: comments of too small of a display and use a smartphone instead need not apply. :sombrero:

Last edited:

esh

Explorer
Evidently it is? Coworker got one today. One feature I wasn't aware of is you can use the Russian-based glonass satellite system as well as US, and in combination.

One feature missing vs the 62 series is an external antenna input. The eTrex 30 picked up birds of both systems very quickly once we went outside, and I haven't felt the need to run an external antenna in my 60csx even under heavy tree cover.

I took a few of my coworker's 30 with my phone, trying to simulate differently lit enviroments (inside office space and outdoors in sun). Brightness was max for all. You can see the glonass is displayed a little differently on the 30 (than shots I've seen for the eTrex 20). Orange appears to be Russian birds.

Evidently I was 20mins behind the freight coming into the store I checked out. My coworker hit it later in the day and the counter guy told him he'd felt bad telling me they'd be in around Christmas. :p

2011-09-28_16-15-20_951.jpg

2011-09-28_16-14-14_745.jpg

(a bit surprised this one came out)
2011-09-28_16-30-00_984.jpg

2011-09-28_16-31-31_577.jpg

2011-09-28_16-31-52_899.jpg

Sempertoy

Explorer
I wanted to bump this instead of starting a new thread. Does anyone have any long term use behind one of these? They seem like a good unit for a decent price.

esh

Explorer
I use mine a lot. Have had it out in the boonies and to Europe where we used it as our primary navigation and routing while driving (pavement) from Germany to Croatia and back. US basemap is as good as ever with nearly every gravel road. It seemed to have less road data for Utah than it has for Oregon.

For a stand alone unit it is excellent. It picks up birds very quickly and the tracks it makes are very smooth because it keeps many satellites tracked at a time. I have no complaints, but I also use a tablet with TOPO! on it in the truck so the screen size isn't an issue while driving. Screen quality is very good and bright. Battery life is great.

The only complaint I have is to "select/enter" (center click on the joystick) requires a great amount of precision and some getting used to. I bet there are a lot of comments, opinions and more complete reviews on the geocaching.com forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles