4runner vs. cherokee XJ?

jaydubya2003

Grand Junkie
I think that the newer Runners are intended to be more a competition to the Grand Cherokee. So I would really consider that as well.

the XJ is a really nice jeep, does the work, and kind of a gets the job done vehicle. These things tended to last as long as you wanted, in so long as you take care of them.

The Toy is a bit more looking toward the soccer mom thing than is the XJ, ergo some more prissy things no there. Still can get the job done, and it has the reputation for reliability. You can beat on one and they will last longer than an xj treated the same way, but not a lot longer. If you can afford one of the newer ones you can get a lot more priss too, like the heated seats and such.

The 1997/98 ZJ is a great jeep, and can easily do the job well, plus has a lot of comfort, it is like cheating off road, and the availability of mods are huge! One consideration is the possibility of a rear aluminum axle pumpkin. This can not have a locker, so if you are looking for a locker be sure to get one with a real rear axle.

The WJ (99-04) was an excellent vehicle. I have one of these still, it drives like a dream on the roads, repairs are easy to do on a budget, but rarely needed. It is a strong vehicle and does the job well, while still having all the prissy stuff you could want, heated seats, leather, etc. The overland with the built in rock rails are great, they also have a 1" lift over stock from the factory (unless you get the factory tow package, then stock height!)

All of those vehicles can be had in your price range.

If you go with the ZJ the I6 gets better mileage than the V8. If you go with the WJ then it turns around, the V8 was all new in 99 and actually gets better (by a fair amount) mileage than the I6 (same I6 as the CJ/YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ)

All of the jeeps listed have Unibody, and all of them have a solid front axle. All of them have readily available support online and great prices for parts and upgrades.

Toyota is a great truck, and will treat you well, but like the XJ it really is a truck not an SUV, and the ride is not going to be as nice as the ZJ/WJ. The prices for repair are a touch higher, but the parts availability for mods are plentiful as well, and the support online is also plentiful. It seems like the prices are slightly higher for mods, but really not by a lot. (depending on what you are looking for of course.) Some of the Toy aftermarket bumpers are psychotic price wise.

Having owned most of them, I can tell you that the XJ and the TOY ride like a truck, and it gets old fast in my opinion. The toy will last a long time, more if you are good to it. The fuel economy is not bad in the Toy either. There really is NOTHING to worry about with the Unibody, it is a great design and will not fail you, lots of jeep owners out there wheeling the piss out of those things, and they are still strong and loved. If the Unibody was a concern it would be everywhere on the net and even the Die Hard jeepers would hate it. The only people who worry about it are those who totally trash their rigs, and they would trash a toy as well, and those who are overly worried because it was, once upon a time, a new concept and people were worried. No need to follow those fears, they are great trucks. Heck you even see XJ rock crawlers out there (well you did before the moon buggy came online so strong.) I can also tell you that my 4x4 toy was a total POS. I was constantly working on the thing, it was always breaking down on me. It kept going for me, but not without a lot of effort. I had a toy celica that was fairly nice, and lasted nicely with few mechanicals, water pump and things like that. The 4x4, however, wow what a pain that was. Plus the thing hung so far over the rear axle that I was constantly finding that I could not go the places the jeeps were going, literally could not even get onto the trails! (that is why you see so many bobbed toy trucks and even some bobbed runners out there). They have a rep for reliability, so I trust that others had good luck, but I certainly did not. (perhaps I just got a lemon, there are those in every vehicle type)

I would HIGHLY recommend the 99-2002 WJ with the V8, take it for a ride, see what you think. I would also test drive a few toys, they are nice trucks and certainly not to be overlooked.

Then pick the one that actually suits you, do not go along some invisible party line that people think if you own one you have to hate the other. Be smart about your choice, they are all great vehicles. (Though I would seriously skip the XJ when compared to the ZJ and WJ, for the same price, why bother with the XJ, it is very cramped inside in comparison to the ZJ and WJ.)

Well, that was long, but my thoughts. Take them as you will.

Regards,

I've come across this thread a few times in my searching, I wanted to take a min and correct some info (in my opinion/experience)

I've owned a couple XJs (both 4.0, one automatic one manual), I've owned a few ZJs (one 4.0, two V8 autos), and I've had lots of experience with a couple WJs (father owned one for a very long time and his now ex wife owned another both V8 autos)

There is no reason to invest in the 4.0 in the ZJ/WJ. The increase in mpg is marginal at best (2-3 mpg over a long long distance), where the base model 5.2L V8 in the ZJ has quite the power increase over the 4.0 in every way (let alone the 5.9L special edition in 98). I would consistently get high teens, lower twenties for mpg in my V8 ZJ when stock. Currently in my 94XJ with six inch lift, 33/12.50 MTs, and a manual tranny I get mid teens with normal mixed driving.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I am contemplating both for a daily driver and weekend vehicle for the family camping, fishing, hiking, mt biking, off roading (not extreme rock crawling), shooting, just have fun with the famly, etc. I have boiled it down to both of these cars. My budget is small at $4500 or less. I have done some research on both but wonder what you all think? I am consdering the 91-97' XJ and the 2nd or 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner (prob 96' would be what I could afford. The unibody of the Jeep scares me a little but I am not sure if I am being unrealistic. I love the look of the slightly lifted Jeep with 32" to 33" tires. I am good with my mechanic ability and am familiar around cars but not Jeeps. Seems the overall reliability goes to the Toyota, not sure about the power??, engine is about equal if comparing to the 4.0L Jeep, aftermarket mods are probably more to the Jeep side but I understand the market is good for the Toyota as well. I hear the build quality goes to the 4runner as well. I am wondering if I am missing anything else?

I say they're equal. I'd find the cleanest, lowest mile version you can find, in the color you prefer and go for it.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Neither one has enough room for me, so I got a Trooper. Strong like 4Runner, cheap like XJ. :D

This is where I ended up, too. Economical, comfortable, just enough aftermarket to support modifying the vehicle to survive off-highway excursions. All this with none of the "Rockcrawling" fervor of the Jeep scene, though with 33's and 35's I've seen troopers hang with the big boys enough to know they're tough as nails from the factory.

4x4junkie

Explorer
ford explorer has a frame, can be picked up for cheap, anything that bolts to a ranger will bolt to it. stronger rear axle than the xj similar mpg.

although currently i am dealing with an electrical gremlin in mine. hope this isn't a pattern developing.

something to think about anyway.
View attachment 72627

This.

Ford has (had) some great offerings in this category that are way too often overlooked for our uses. The whole rest of the rig is just as good as it's rear axle (and far better than many of the rigs people put those axles into IMO).

chasespeed

Explorer
Neither one has enough room for me, so I got a Trooper. Strong like 4Runner, cheap like XJ. :D

This is where I ended up, too. Economical, comfortable, just enough aftermarket to support modifying the vehicle to survive off-highway excursions. All this with none of the "Rockcrawling" fervor of the Jeep scene, though with 33's and 35's I've seen troopers hang with the big boys enough to know they're tough as nails from the factory.

I loved my Trooper. The interior was freaking huge. And gave me no problems.

I've come across this thread a few times in my searching, I wanted to take a min and correct some info (in my opinion/experience)

I've owned a couple XJs (both 4.0, one automatic one manual), I've owned a few ZJs (one 4.0, two V8 autos), and I've had lots of experience with a couple WJs (father owned one for a very long time and his now ex wife owned another both V8 autos)

There is no reason to invest in the 4.0 in the ZJ/WJ. The increase in mpg is marginal at best (2-3 mpg over a long long distance), where the base model 5.2L V8 in the ZJ has quite the power increase over the 4.0 in every way (let alone the 5.9L special edition in 98). I would consistently get high teens, lower twenties for mpg in my V8 ZJ when stock. Currently in my 94XJ with six inch lift, 33/12.50 MTs, and a manual tranny I get mid teens with normal mixed driving.

I'm happy with the 4.0 in my WJ. It's not going to win any races... But, it's a simple reliable engine, and parts are available just about anywhere.

If I want to go fast, we have a 4door with a rather healthy Hemi in it....

But, I have no sagging or anything on my WJ. But, I'm convinced a good portion of that is the Clayton subframe. Can still open and close the doors with a finger.

Any yeah, I'm pretty sure the OP has solved this dilemma by now......

Chase

4x4junkie

Explorer
Eh, necro or not, this is one of those types of questions that often get repeated. If it helps those who might come across it in the future via a search, then all the better I think.

RoyJ

Adventurer
This.

Ford has (had) some great offerings in this category that are way too often overlooked for our uses. The whole rest of the rig is just as good as it's rear axle (and far better than many of the rigs people put those axles into IMO).

2nd this. The Explorer, especially the late models (w/ IRS), are under appreciated for domestic overland use.

I don't rock crawl on my expeditions, instead, I need payload, which = strong chassis. Something neither an XJ nor an early 4runner has.

Due to the nature of extended BC back-country travels, my trucks (06 Explorer, and recently 05 LX470) are heavily laden (600 lbs batteries/water/fuel/fridge/food, 120 lbs tent, 300 lbs dirt bike on hitch). Hit a big bump at logging road speeds and you'll cringe in a less sturdy chassis. My old Xterra for instance, needed "frame stiffeners" to safely carry my bike on a hitch.

But that's just me. For other uses, such as low speed technical trails with light payload, an XJ can excel.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
The 1st and 2nd gen Explorers with leaf springs can be swapped with F-150 springs (not sure which years) for more carrying capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online