Anyone have experience with ioSafe Rugged external hard drives?

We need a new external hard drive(s) to replace our ailing and full drives. We are considering the ioSafe rugged external with the following claims:

Crush protection up to 5,000 lbs.
Drop protection up to 20'
Immersion protection up to 30' for 3 days
USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, FireWire 800
Data Recovery Service up to $5,000
World's best warranty
Works with Macs and PCs

I like the claims, but in an age of pretty inexpensive memory prices these are expensive. MSRP FOR 500 gig is $212.50 although I looked at Amazon and found the same 500 for $150.95 not so bad, but still pricey. I guess you can't put a price on data safety :), but I really do not know this brand...

We have been using simple external hard drives for 2 years with no problems. We store them in a small Pelican case with Pelican "rechargeable" desiccant cans, but I must admit I am usually slightly concerned about loosing data and photos.

Any thoughts?

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
I always try to travel with two cheap external hard drives when I have photos etc I want to keep, especailly now they are so small (external 3.5" cases with power supplies were harder to hide away!). I use one as the primary backup and archive repository to keep the laptop drive relatively free, and then run a small script which mirrors the primary drive data to the secondary one to make an exact duplicate of the primary drive. I then put the secondary away nice and safe. I don't know the scripts for Mac otherwise I'd be happy to share it with you (mine's a Windows shell script and utility - probably easy to replicate). On a long trip I will periodically buy a new cheap drive to be the new secondary and ship the previous one back home for safe keeping via a courier service, not too expensive and provides considerable reassurance they won't all float down the Amazon one day. I (personally) wouldn't use local post services as I'd be too worried about it never making it out of the country...
Regarding the expensive impact resistant ones it depends on how you plan to use them - an external hard drive which is not used whilst the vehicle is moving is *far* less likely to suffer a failure than one used whilst in motion. Not a univeral rule, of course, but they are far more likely to suffer damage from shock or vibration whilst the heads are in motion (reading or writing data and hitting a big bump etc.). The pelican case should keep a static drive (or drives) from suffering too much and is a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz