ranger help

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ok I have a very nice ramcharger for my hard core expo work. problem is its like 3k miles away safe and sound in a shop. Im in pennsylvania with not wheels. Well i have work rigs.

So i found a nice deal on a 2wd ranger splash 4cyl auto. I have parts to make it 4wd if i want. I cant find much on rangers except baja type racing.

I know the small box lilits the room to take things with me. its just me with 2 weeks off amonth and nothing to do.

so should i go with the ranger or keep lookin.

bjm206

Adventurer
I see a lot of tempting 1998 and up 4x4 manual transmission Rangers in the $2k to $5K price range here in central PA. 1995–2001 Explorers which have similar running gear to the Rangers are even cheaper if they will fit your needs.

Folks I know that have Rangers say they are reliable and with a few mods quite capable.

98dango

Expedition Leader
ya i have looked at a few. hard when your stuck in a over priced hotel but what i can find is ok rigs. i just want to get in the hills

lstzephyr

wanderer
Why not just fly over and get the ramcharger?

Maybe buy a motorcycle? Seems that two trucks doing basically the same job is a bit too limiting.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I havent gone to get the ramcharger well becaus it gets the worst gas mileage. I wont be in pen long enough for it to pay off. Figured I would just buy a cheap truck hear and then just drive it to wyoming and get the ramcharger when the job is over. I have collected some parts hear that i have to take with me. Not leaving behind my complete 12valve cummins and the pair of 4:56 gear dana 60 i have collected i love my job lol. I work for marathon oil wrench turner not rig hand. work the same hours for almost the same money.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Makes sense. In that case I would just look for whatever cheap old truck you could find. Sounds like you need at least a 1500 pound payload anyway. I'm not sure a 12v would even fit in the back of a splash ranger. Sounds like a generic 1/2 ton boring 2wd or a van would be a good rig. A van might even be the most fun as you could use it to camp in, then just throw stuff in the back and not worry about anyone taking the rig for the parts it has in the bed.

I'm guessing you are planning on swapping the 12v into the ramcharger when you got back, so the other vehicle would be a backup anyway right? Maybe get an old half ton dodge to use as a parts truck on your main truck. Multipurpose!

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
yes the 12v and 60s will go in the charger.

I have passed on the splash it was cheap wich was the idea ill be hear or michigan for at least 5 months. Looking at a few other rangers s10s and what not. I refuse to spend more than a grand start out just becous i am cheap lol. my old snoma only had 1800 in to with brandnew 32 bfgmts

lstzephyr

wanderer
Ah you are talking 1000 dollar rangers! For some reason I had the impression you meant 5k or so.

In that case a ranger/s10/durango sounds perfect. Carry on lol

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ah you are talking 1000 dollar rangers! For some reason I had the impression you meant 5k or so.

In that case a ranger/s10/durango sounds perfect. Carry on lol

ya i dont see wasting to much money on a short term ownership. I have a ramcharger that i love full cage 37s nice 360 (12v 6bt soon) just some thing cheap to get me out playing and home with my tresures

lstzephyr

wanderer
ha that was exactly what I was trying to convince you on. I'd say that sounds like a good idea.

How about an elcamino, wagon or something. Those should get half decent mileage although I'm not sure they would fit a 12v.

98dango

Expedition Leader
thought of that but think small truck ranger s10 dakota or 1/2 ton would work best for camping till i get back home. Home may come sooner than i was origanly told.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well i just brought home the new ride and its a 95 dodge van lol it was a deal i could not pass up

bftank

Explorer
just keep in mind that those three things are going to weigh approx. 2500 to 3000 lbs if you haul them all at once, which will be taxing a 1/2t suspension let alone a ranger or s10.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Sweet! Lets see some pics of the shaggin wagon. I have noticed that old vans are usually really cheap, especially dodges. That way you can tow a trailer if needed, so sounds like you did good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior