oztent rack

brushogger

Explorer
I recently purchased an Oztent, and decided it needed a little protection up top and I needed a way to lockit up when away from the vehicle. I decided to build one out of 3/4 and 1/2" emt conduit. It's plenty strong and light too. I've got it bent up and ready to be welded. The condut connectors are just to hold it together during the fabrication. I'm going to have to find a shop with a metal brake to make the BRACES. I tried making one but wasn't pleased with the result. I've got some cam latches to hold it shut. I'll post some more pics as it comes along.

photo-73.jpg

photo-74.jpg

photo-75.jpg

Sirocco

Explorer
That is very neat, well done. Its similar to the oz basket that a friend has but looks way lighter :)

G

brushogger

Explorer
It's finally done! Just shot the last coat of paint. Hopefully I'll get it mounted by the weekend.
6328885f-9420-1560.jpg

6328885f-943a-b921.jpg

6328885f-944c-efa0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brushogger

Explorer
I thought about doing that but I've had bad experiences with the mix of plastic, tree limbs, and very cold temperatures.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Well I'll be a son-of-a basket! That looks way lighter then what I designed and asked a welder friend of mine to fab for me. I haven't 'pulled the trigger' yet though. Thank you for posting.

PM sent.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Great idea! I was trying to solve the same problem and just recycled my large Thule cargo box for now. I'd love to have someone build a large aluminum box at a reasonable price for things this large...

Good luck!WMCCTF FJ60 updates 014.jpgWMCCTF FJ60 updates 016.jpg

Attachments

• WMCCTF FJ60 updates 016.jpg
    WMCCTF FJ60 updates 016.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

XJINTX

Explorer
Don't want to steal thread but... My tent is like two years old... used regularly and tent is FINE with no issues. I think maybe from being ontop in the elements the bag straps have all torn off from use. Bag is OK straps tear at position sewn to bag. I only have one edd strap left on each end the others are all torn off.

Anyone else have this issue with one traveling ontop?

brushogger

Explorer
The Oztent rack is complete and mounted. Now I can lock it up safe and secure. :)
a6cd0a42-cfe9-47e3.jpg

a6cd0a42-cfff-eeae.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz