Insurance: Dodge 4500/5500 Ford F450/550 GMC Kodiak

GivanNYC

Because of the restrictive laws concerning the conversion of a "Commercial Vehicle Designation " to a "RV Designation" is difficult or impossible in many states one option available now is to initially register your vehicle in the State of Vermont. Follow the rules outlined by the State of Vermont for changing the Vehicle Designation of your vehicle from "Commercial" to "Recreational Vehicle" and you are golden. Upon receiving the Vermont registration with the RV designation they will then register their new "RV" in their state of residence with no issues or problems as the Vermont registration/title will already have the proper "RV" designation describing the vehicle as a RV!

It's much easier to initially register a vehicle as a "RV" in the State of Vermont. This is the go to place for commercial vehicle to RV designation/registration for those converting an old school bus or other designated commercial vehicle into a RV for registration purposes. Process is easy and not expensive.

Montana is also an option however the Montana State Legislature has recently made changes to their vehicle registration process for out of state none Montana resident vehicle owners. Read More Cost! There are also a number of states that are legally pursuing people/corporations that register "High Value" cars, trucks and RV'S through the LLC process in Montana to avoid paying sales tax in their state of residence.

Once you have the proper "RV Designation" on your registration/title obtaining the proper insurance coverage for your "RV" is EASY!
One more question. If I buy a salvage used ambulance from South Dakota, can I registered in Vermont? Get registration and a new “CLEAN TITTLE” and then insurance? You think is posible?
Thanks ?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
NO you will not get a "Clean Title" anywhere in the USA.

After a bunch of work you might git a negotiable "Rebuilt Vehicle" title but not a "Clean Title".

Washing titles to remove a previous salvage designation was illegal and still is illegal in all 50 states. 25+ years ago you might git away with it Not now with all the vehicle history information widely available through many different channels.

The first thing that has to be done is to legally REBUILD the Salvage Title Ambo to git a negotiable rebuilt vehicle title with a "Rebuilt Vehicle" designation on the new title. What type of salvage title does the Ambo currently have? Different states have different levels of a salvage titles. Does it have a rebuildable salvage title or a permit to dismantle (Parts Only Death Certificate)? Different states will allow or not allow the rebuilding of different types of salvage titles.

Here is an example of one states laws concerning rebuilt vehicles. This is one of the if not the most "Liberal" vehicle rebuild programs in the USA and it still comes with restrictions. You have to be a Kentucky resident to participate or have a Kentucky resident rebuild the vehicle. Great chance your state of residence vehicle rebuild program will be much more restrictive.

In the State of Kentucky you can rebuild a vehicle with a standard Salvage title. When the rebuild is complete and inspected following the KY rules you will receive a BLUE standard KY title with a "Rebuilt Vehicle" designation noted on the title. The vehicle can be registered in all 50 states and is insurable depending upon your insurance carrier. This process is not different than any other state concerning the rebuilding of a Salvage Title Vehicle>

In KY you can also rebuild a vehicle with a "Permit to Dismantle" Salvage title (Parts Only Death Certificate). This is unusual as most states will not allow the rebuilding of a salvage vehicle with a Parts Only salvage title. When the rebuild is complete and inspected following the KY rules you will receive a RED KY title. This RED KY REBUILT VEHICLE TITLE IS NOT ACCEPTED in at least 18+ states for vehicle registration. I live in TN. Tennessee is one of those states that WILL NOT allow the registration of a vehicle with a RED KY rebuilt vehicle title.

Want to git rid of the limited registration RED KY REBUILT VEHICLE TITLE? Go register the vehicle in Mississippi and you will git a regular Mississippi title with a "Rebuilt Vehicle" designation on the title. Now you can register that vehicle once again is all 50 states! You have not "Washed The Title". All that happened here is that the State of Mississippi will accept the Red KY Rebuilt Vehicle title with the "Rebuilt Vehicle" designation on it. Mississippi has only 1 type of title they issue for a "Rebuilt Vehicle". You will receive regular Mississippi title with the "Rebuilt Vehicle" designation on the title that is accepted in all 50 states. Nothing illegal just another "Loophole" in vehicle registration law. Not worth the effort if your goal is to "Hide" the previous RED KY title history will still show up on any vehicle history report.

The salvage title issue makes things a lot more difficult when the ultimate goal is to build an RV out of the Ambo and change the original vehicle designation from "Commercial" to "RV". You have to start thinking about such questions as can you legally rebuild the salvage vehicle based upon your states laws or in this situation the vehicle registration laws of the State of Vermont? Who are you going to git in Vermont to rebuild your Ambo if you are not a Vermont resident and you have to rebuild the vehicle in Vermont to take advantage of the the ability in Vermont to change the vehicle designation from commercial to RV? After all that's the whole point of this exercise!

You might be able to rebuild the Ambo in your state of residence and git a negotiable rebuilt title in your state of residence with a "Rebuilt Vehicle" notation on the title that will still have the "Commercial Vehicle" designation on the title. At that point you might see about registering the Ambo in Vermont to change the vehicle designation from Commercial to RV. I DO NOT KNOW if Vermont would take your states "Rebuilt Title" making this is even a possibility to consider as I am not knowledgeable about Vermont vehicle registration laws as it relates to "Rebuilt Vehicles".

Personally I would pass on the Ambo with a Salvage Title. You have enough problems involved with changing the vehicle designation on the title from "Commercial" to "RV" which is the whole point of this discussion. Throw in the "Rebuilt Vehicle" designation on the title and you might have a can of worms that are no good for fishin anywhere!

Just remember that ALL OF THE TITLE AND REBUILD INFORMATION will follow the vehicle on CARFAX, AUTOCHECK and other vehicle history reporting services so what you do will be there for all to see. You would not be doing anything Illegal rebuilding the Ambo and changing the vehicle designation from commercial to RV however ALL THAT INFORMATION would still be available for future purchasers of your Ambo just in case you somehow "FORGET" to tell the next buyer of your Ambo what you did in the vehicle rebuild and registration process!

Last edited:

GivanNYC

Wow you are a lifesaver! And no I don’t want to wash the title Jajajjaja. Just want to be able to get an RV designation on my used ambulance for cheap. I want to save as much as I can to be able to do more travel with the ambulance. But I believe you are right, that salvage title it’s going to open a can of worms down the line. Trying to change one thing is already hard imagine two? Thank you for all that info I truly admire you. Again Thank you for sharing your humble opinion and for taking the time to explain to me what I will be up against. God bless ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles