Insurance: Dodge 4500/5500 Ford F450/550 GMC Kodiak

dtruzinski

Explorer
Just bought a Dodge 5500 and am having trouble insuring it. Has anyone decoded how to get it registered as an RV. Am putting a camper on a flatbed and it will be used primarily as an RV.

If you own one of the big boys..please tell share your insurance strategy. Some agent is going to get some good business

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Your?

Suggest, a review of the state statutes relating to titling for RV's. What the authorities want are taxes/fees for a heavy truck and an RV taxing schedule would mean a lot less $$$$ to them from what I have observed. To try too decipher the law seems a big task at times because again the authorities want $$$$ so the heavy truck fees are all they want to see.

Case in point; My 1999 K2500 Suburban was titled as a heavy truck over 5k lbs used commercially, but I do not use this vehicle for commercial enterprise nor has it ever been used for such enterprise, but once it is titled that way it's like the title/taxing/authorities now can't see, hear or speak of any remedy and only want the heavy commercial truck tax/fees.

I've researched this thoroughly I know in Florida the vehicle has to have one (1) of the following to qualify as RV "and fifth wheel equipped vehicles do not apply";

Wired 115 volt circuit, fresh water w/plumbing, or toilet.

What qualifies as for 115 v circuit? Inverter "wired".
What qualifies as water w/plumbing? How about a Jerry water can w/hand-pump!
What qualifies as a toilet? A porta potty or similar device.

Then the next problem is the insurance industry if the vehicle was not upfitted as RV by some commercial entity.

Anyway, good luck with your quest.

Pat Caulfield

I ran into this problem when I bought my F450 in 2008. Found out that USAA considers anything above a F350 a commercial vehicle, which they would not insure. Imagine my surprise sitting in the dealers lot in a new truck and not getting any insurance from my carrier of over 30 years.

Anyway had to go through USAA's general agency and got a policy through Progressive. They seemed to understand the situation and issued a commercial policy that is for personal use. SInce then I have also gone through Progressive for my truck camper (RV) insurance. They also understood that TC don't have titles here in Colorado and knew how to handle it.

For RV insurance you may want to look at the Good Sam site as they are always sending me RV specific insurance mailers.

My two cents.
Pat

luchenbach

I have a GMC Topkick C4500 and I have purchased insurance through Progressive Commercial for $623 per year. This is a commercial policy for a non-commercial, personal use. I did not think that was a bad price for full coverage.

Byrdseye

Observer
I tried going through my usual GEICO account for my 5500, but they transferred me to their "commercial division". It is actually a different carrier. They did insure me but I need to do some rate shopping as they were a bit expensive. I had my Freightliner insured through Interstate which I purchased from Twin Peaks Insurance in Florida. Interstate's rate was pretty good, but it was an "RV only" policy. Meaning that I could not pull my gooseneck flatbed, or anything but my RV and stay covered. It sounds like their product may work for you. http://www.twinpeaksinsurance.com/ hope this helps. Let us know what you find out.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Thanks to all for your guidance. My update: Travelers with whom I spend a pile-o-money insuring a number of assets is going to LOSE all of my business. So far St Farm is trying to work with me. In the process, I discovered that there is a method to get the truck with camper registered as an RV. I am awaiting final instructions from the MT department of motor vehicles but this seems to be the best course of action. Next stop will be Progressive, just to compare rates. But I can tell that I am very disappointed in Travelers

kcatto

I have my Dodge 5500 registered through my farm. So I did not have any problem getting insurance....

tbared

Life participant
I initialy had the same problem, Ive gone through USAA for some time and when i bought my F550, the went tthrough progressive as well, i am for full coverage paying just shy of $700/year. ive been thinking however just droppin down to liablility. but we will see. its not like if i get hit or anything it will get hurt seeing as i have plate steel up front and out back, and i dont roll the thing over 60mph, and it gets used at the rate of 5k a year.

tbared

Life participant
Guys,

Awesome news, join USAA, I just asked the wife again about insurance for Moby(F550). She said since I put a box on it they I nsure it as a private pickup and not commercial even though It started life as a commercial rig.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Update - Travelers was a NO go even though I have a significant book of business with them. St Farm was too expensive. So I logged onto Progressive and viola, it was done and the rates were in line with my expectation. I am in the process of getting the rig registered as an RV. I hope to make progress on that front next week.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Registering a 5500 as an RV

The chassis cabs are actually incomplete vehicles and in this case, I became the up-fitter. Armed with the receipts from the truck, flatbed and camper, I registered the entire package as an RV in MT. It's a simple process that requires a state patrol to VIN certify and you need to create a statement of fact for motor vehicles (well that's how it works in MT). Generally painless. So now I own a bonafide RV, but as Byrdseye noted above, I doubt I can remove the camper and hook up a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer and have coverage. Since I have sold my trailers, I am ok for the time being. By the way total registration fees were less than $400, yet another reason I love Montana!

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Good that you have RV reg

My take on the goose-neck or fifth wheel is you wouldn't need one and the rear hitch can handle more than you would ever need for an RV.

Good luck and good motoring.

GivanNYC

Hi I want to buy a used ambulance GMC C4500 and will like to know how can I get insurance for it before I buy. I can see that it is a hassle to insured a vehicle this size as an RV. Any tips that can get me cheap insurance?
Any preferable companies that give RV’s better rates and less hassle? Thanks ?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Because of the restrictive laws concerning the conversion of a "Commercial Vehicle Designation " to a "RV Designation" is difficult or impossible in many states one option available now is to initially register your vehicle in the State of Vermont. Follow the rules outlined by the State of Vermont for changing the Vehicle Designation of your vehicle from "Commercial" to "Recreational Vehicle" and you are golden. Upon receiving the Vermont registration with the RV designation they will then register their new "RV" in their state of residence with no issues or problems as the Vermont registration/title will already have the proper "RV" designation describing the vehicle as a RV!

It's much easier to initially register a vehicle as a "RV" in the State of Vermont. This is the go to place for commercial vehicle to RV designation/registration for those converting an old school bus or other designated commercial vehicle into a RV for registration purposes. Process is easy and not expensive.

Montana is also an option however the Montana State Legislature has recently made changes to their vehicle registration process for out of state none Montana resident vehicle owners. Read More Cost! There are also a number of states that are legally pursuing people/corporations that register "High Value" cars, trucks and RV'S through the LLC process in Montana to avoid paying sales tax in their state of residence.

Once you have the proper "RV Designation" on your registration/title obtaining the proper insurance coverage for your "RV" is EASY!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles