Computer needed for mobile APRS and navigation

890man

I have searched and searched but technology moves fast. I have a kenwood D710 ham radio and a Garmin 60csx which interfaces with the radio for position information. I want to connect this setup to a computer of some kind. The radio communicates with a 9 pin D-sub but I hope it will work with a usb converter cable. I would like to be able to have a moving map with position reports on the display but software is a topic for another thread???? Because of the software I need to run (radio programming, repeater software)I will be limited to a windows os. I feel 7 to 10 in screen would be right and prefer a touchscreen/ tablet. What do you guys recommend? I have looked at windows 7 tablets and have seen mixed reviews. I have also looked at refurbished toughbook c-19's. Are these machines antiques or are they still worth looking at in todays market? Other options, even android would be considered. I'm sure there are some great apps out there that I am missing. I have an android atrix phone so that would help to. Can I interface with my phone hhhmmmmmm.

Signed, Confused

esh

Explorer
As far as I have read, only Overland Navigator does it elegantly *and* is able to work with the 710's custom icon set.

By elegantly, I mean it will age out stations on the display, while any other tool will just make waypoints that you will need to delete later.

Given that ON is a Windows product, that is your largest filter for what hardware can be used.

I have an Itronix DuoTouch refurb tablet from ebay I have been using for a couple years. It is based on old Intel Pentium (centrino?) technology and runs around 1GHz. It is ruggedized, does't break the bank, and has worked great for mapping (using TOPO! mainly). The 40G drive finally gave up, and I was worried about upgrading as there are extra ribbon connectors to the drive (for S.M.A.R.T. related monitoring?), but leaving those connectors off, I have a 120G laptop drive I had laying around and now working fine. Went through the recovery process and WinXP tablet edition is back up and running.

RAM also makes a mount cradle just for this Itronix unit.

I am still watching for a new tablet and would like to get something with a larger and brighter display (the Itronix is 7" or 8" touchscreen). It can't be too expensive as it will need to be somewhat disposable given the environment of traveling in rough dry areas. My first tablet was bought that way, was barely enough CPU to do one task well, and lasted 2-3 years. It was a good unit, but way off-brand.

I haven't found software yet for Android OS that allows what I think of as basic map editing, so that alluring range of Android-based tablets that are generally cheaper does no good (yet). Natl. Geo has written me saying they have no plans to port their 24K State Series software to Android.

Using Google Earth for map editing is looking very promising lately, so it is very likely a path could work where you do your planning and editing in GE, and then export to GPX or KMZ/L (and/or then convert to some other format) for an Android-based tool to read. It is also possible that GE will add more features to their Android app, to make it an all in one functional tool not as dependent on a cell signal for map data.

For me software is still a huge driving force in finding appropriate hardware. But moreso it is what you need from the software that is the largest factor. Most people seem to be ok with just having a map and a marker of your location, and maybe adding waypoints. For me that is the barest of minimums. I also want more map detail with historic info on the map so I stick to USGS based 24K/100K/+ map data. Those decisions exclude me from 90% of what is on the market. Add APRS to that and it is even more limiting, depending upon your expectations.

Last edited:

890man

Thanks for the reply, good info. I am familiar with overland navigator and it looks nice but the maps can get expensive. I may bite the bullet and have to california, nevada and oregon. Id just have to do it bits at a time.

I was looking for rugged tablets and found one by Xplore that looked pretty good. I have never used a tablet running windows xp tablet so I am not sure how easy it is to navigate using a screen for everything. I would still need a keyboard for email, the on-screen one might be fine though. I am fine with my android. How similar is the experience?

Are any of the windows tablets running windows 7 worth looking at? The "Rugged" stuff looks nice and considering how I use my stuff, it may actually last me a while but it is bulky.

How important is daylight readable in a vehicle?

Thanks

esh

Explorer
I look at rugged tablets this way. Generally a new one runs $2000-3000 depending on brand and added features. For that much I can get a couple "disposable" non-rugged tablets, or just one, and be miles ahead for money saving. Money for maps or to just stay within a budget.

Daylight viewing hasn't been too bad. I have what I think of as a normal/mediocre display. There are some few times when it would be nice to be brighter when the sun hits the right angle onto it. Generally the cab provides enough shade and when I am using it I am going on slow roads, so I can stop and really look if I need to. Would still like a bigger, brighter display. :) The phone or Garmin 60 is my on-highway navigation if I need it.

The difference with Windows 7 is it will take more hardware- more memory and maybe more CPU depending on what you have running. It only limits how old of a hardware setup you can do, as something like my current one only does a max of 1.2GB of RAM.

Keyboards are fairly easy, you can go with a "travel" USB keyboard or get a bluetooth keyboard and plug a bluetooth dongle into a USB port. Logitech has a sweet new one much like the Apple travel keyboard. It is called the Tablet keyboard. It says it works with android and it should in theory pair as a bluetooth keyboard with Windows (no Windows/cmd key though).

theksmith

Explorer
i have a separate touchscreen on the dash tied to a normal laptop that is hidden away. the screen is considered a fairly bright one at 450 Nits (cd/m2), has a good contrast of 600:1, and i have dark window tint in the jeep - however, i still curse it in the middle of the day and wish i had saved up about double the money that it would have cost for a transflective unit (sunlight readable).

fujitsu is one of the few companies that i know made several models with sunlight readable screens, you might want to look a their current or recent models.

i've had no problems running a non-"ruggedized" laptop. i would worry more about finding one with all the other features and the size you want than getting a "ruggedized" one. the only thing i think might be prudent is to swap out the harddisk for a SSD (which are reasonably priced now), beyond that just don't lay it in the campfire ashes or spill too much wine on it and you're fine ;)

NorCalLC

Adventurer
I know this is a bit late but I'm looking to do the same basic thing as the original poster. The only thing i'm thinking i would change is to run an external hard drive, maybe even 2 of them mirrored with all of my maps on them. I know that most people recommend the tough books for holding up long term and taking the most abuse. Do you think any of the IBM think pads with touch screens are even worth considering for this application?

It seams brbXJ that you have extensive history with the tough books, is there a certain model you would reccomend over others? I'm seeing the cf29s on Ebay from about $150 to $450, and it seems to be a good deal in general. Thanks for your input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz