Multi-mode T-case on the 2nd gen X?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Doing idle research on my (potential) next vehicle.

Though I like my 4runner it will be approaching 150k soon. Thinking of switching up, maybe next year. Reason I'm looking at Nissan is that I've decided I want to go back to a manual tranny - getting irritated with the 4runner's slushbox.

So I saw this on Edmunds and couldn't believe it. Of course, I know Edmunds sometimes gets it wrong so I wanted to fact-check it here:

All Nissan Xterra models feature a 4.0-liter V6 that makes 265 hp and 284 lb-ft of torque, generous figures for this class. A six-speed manual transmission is standard, and a five-speed automatic is optional. Four-wheel-drive versions use a multimode transfer case that offers 2WD and automatic 4WD modes, in addition to low-range gearing, for maximum flexibility in varying conditions.

The bolded text is what has got me curious. I remember looking at a few Xs when I was shopping for my 4runner in 2009 and I thought all of them had a standard 4wd system, i.e. 2wd, 4hi, N, 4lo with 4wd only usable on low-traction surfaces. Never heard of an X with a multi-mode T-case. I think Edmunds must have got some bad info? Or is this true?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What's weird is they aren't the only ones to make this mistake. I guess it's because of the dial 4wd button instead of a lever. When the 4runner went to a dial instead of a lever, they were also multi-mode, so the reviewers must think "Dial = Multimode." :rolleyes:

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I've got an 07 manual OR version. It's exactly what you're describing:
  • 2-Hi - normal mode
  • 4-Hi - usable up to 45mph, IIRC. Same as any normal 4 high
  • 4-Lo - same as any normal 4-lo out there
  • Locked diff - this is available on the OR versions.

In all honesty, you can run all of the modes on any surface, but I'd say that running 4-lo or with the diff locked is bad. Maybe modern editors don't understand that this is what a tcase does if it includes a low range? Or maybe the manufacturers are spinning it that way to make it sound all special and fancy-like.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
"Automotive journalists" know a lot more about sports cars than they do about 4x4s, so my guess is that is't confusion/ignorance on the part of the writers. Heck, the "modes" you just described are identical to the ones on every 4x4 made since the 1940's! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste