AC 4x4 Rear Shackles

2005 Nissan Frontier Project

Going to do the shackle lift on the rear like so many here.

My question is, do I NEED the polyurethane bushings the offer for the lift? If not, what is the benefit of adding them?

FWIW, I have an '05 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4.

Last edited:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
My first reaction would be yes. Also make sure they're the correct width before you start tearing everything down. I didn't a few years ago and had to use an angle grinder to make 'em fit. Dumb but it worked. Only need a fraction to get them to swing freely.

Also welcome to ExPo! Where do ya hail from?

articulate

Expedition Leader
CoastalDefender said:
FWIW, I have an '05 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4.
Actually the bushings from AC are not necessary. You re-use the OEM bushings. I presume they sell them in case you (somehow) damage the existing bushings, or feel better by replacing them. But you could also get the bushings from a local Nissan dealer, too.

Having dealt with both the AC shackles and the AC add-a-leaf for the same truck, it's my opinion that you are better off with the AAL.

PRG sells a really nice shackle, too. As far as shackles are concerned, PRG makes a better one - several mounting positions to vary your lift and a superior center support. I don't think it's on his website yet, so you'd have to call. He put up some photos here.

Hope it helps,
Mark

The BN Guy said:
Also welcome to ExPo! Where do ya hail from?

Washington State. Grays Harbor to be exact. I have the ocean 300ft off my front porch.

How does AC's shackles hold up to the weather? Rust is a HUGE concern being so close to the ocean.

Last edited:
articulate said:
Actually the bushings from AC are not necessary. You re-use the OEM bushings. I presume they sell them in case you (somehow) damage the existing bushings, or feel better by replacing them. But you could also get the bushings from a local Nissan dealer, too.

Having dealt with both the AC shackles and the AC add-a-leaf for the same truck, it's my opinion that you are better off with the AAL.

PRG sells a really nice shackle, too. As far as shackles are concerned, PRG makes a better one - several mounting positions to vary your lift and a superior center support. I don't think it's on his website yet, so you'd have to call. He put up some photos here.

Hope it helps,
Mark

I can't see bushings being worth that much extra (~$60?), so I could just go with the OEMs.

So you replaced your shackles with the AAL? How does the ride differ with the AAL in back? Any chance in heck the AAL pack will make a substantial difference in weight capacity? (without risking damage to the drivetrain). And do I need separate U-Bolts to add the pack? Which ones do I get?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm genuinely interested in your conclusions on some of the things you've done.

Thanks!
CD

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
No worries about the questions - it's rare that I actually have more answers than questions. I recently did a bunch of research about shackles, though, so it's all fresh in my brain.

This page has some great information regarding shackles. My abbreviated version is this: shackles change the geometry of the rear suspension and tend to flatten an OEM spring pack in a spring-over-axle set up, thanks to leverage. They work best with an after-market spring pack that is slightly longer than the OEM pack. In general, though, an AAL is going to be a better improvement than a longer shackle.

See my attached images.

You can see how my original leaf packs are slightly inverted, or bending downward. This is also without a load in the rear. Incredible, huh? This is the result of those longer shackles.

I am installing that AAL I mentioned (same one in your link) and will test it in conjunction with the longer shackle, as we've got the Eezi-Awn mounted all the time and a custom bed cap (more weight than the average truck). According to Automotive Customizers, their AAL improves the load capacity, but that was from a person over the phone who had to ask someone else. I think that information is fishy; no mention of how much, but they probably just mean that the spring packs won't compress as much with the same load. We'll see how it works out.

Longer u-bolts, yes. They ought to sell them with the packs, but you should also be able to get them from auto parts stores, a spring shop, off road supply, or perhaps a specialty hardware store. U-bolts aren't that difficult to find. Obviously, they just need to be the same width and then you trim off extra length after the installation is complete.

I suggest, though, getting this stuff through PRG. Just an opinion.

Edit: I cut the tailpipe, too, in order to make space for the longer shackle to swing backwards. I don't know if that was totally necessary.

articulate said:
No worries about the questions - it's rare that I actually have more answers than questions. I recently did a bunch of research about shackles, though, so it's all fresh in my brain.

This page has some great information regarding shackles. My abbreviated version is this: shackles change the geometry of the rear suspension and tend to flatten an OEM spring pack in a spring-over-axle set up, thanks to leverage. They work best with an after-market spring pack that is slightly longer than the OEM pack. In general, though, an AAL is going to be a better improvement than a longer shackle.

See my attached images.

You can see how my original leaf packs are slightly inverted, or bending downward. This is also without a load in the rear. Incredible, huh? This is the result of those longer shackles.

I am installing that AAL I mentioned (same one in your link) and will test it in conjunction with the longer shackle, as we've got the Eezi-Awn mounted all the time and a custom bed cap (more weight than the average truck). According to Automotive Customizers, their AAL improves the load capacity, but that was from a person over the phone who had to ask someone else. I think that information is fishy; no mention of how much, but they probably just mean that the spring packs won't compress as much with the same load. We'll see how it works out.

Longer u-bolts, yes. They ought to sell them with the packs, but you should also be able to get them from auto parts stores, a spring shop, off road supply, or perhaps a specialty hardware store. U-bolts aren't that difficult to find. Obviously, they just need to be the same width and then you trim off extra length after the installation is complete.

I suggest, though, getting this stuff through PRG. Just an opinion.

Edit: I cut the tailpipe, too, in order to make space for the longer shackle to swing backwards. I don't know if that was totally necessary.

Thanks for the links and info.

And you're right, those stock springs are almost unbelievable!

Are '01-'04 Frontier springs the same width as the '05+ years? Think I could just get U-bolts for that model?

And does PRG carry all this stuff, I am not seeing any of it on their site.

FWIW, I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. Learning as I go.

Did you have to do any front end realignment after installing the PRG spacers? And did you upgrade from the PRG's to something else (comparable price, but better for the setup)?

articulate said:
See my attached images.

I had my truck looked at by a local Tire Shop out here (Les Schwab is local I think?), checking out the brakes before our road-trip to Disneyland in Aug. All is well with the brakes.

Since we had her jacked and the wheels off, I took a look at the rear springs. Same inverted-stance as in your pics, so this must be a Nissan thing? Or they just under-engineered the springs?

Regardless, I ordered the springs from AC, and I just received in the mail today the PRG front spacers.

So after I get the springs, I am going to get them all installed by a local 4x4 joint that does all the Logging Rigs in the area (they have a lot of experience in lifts).

Figure I'll let them do it and watch, so I don't fugger it up.

Thinking 33" Open Country Mud Terrain tires on the stock wheels aftewards. Only $1100 for 4.

that will give me a 2" in front, and a 3" in back. After I add the Shrockworks bumper, it will be a 1.5"/3". So I may end up re-doing the front with a 3", so I end up with a 2.5"/3". Really don't like that pre-runner/2WD look.

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
CoastalDefender said:
Did you have to do any front end realignment after installing the PRG spacers? And did you upgrade from the PRG's to something else (comparable price, but better for the setup)?
Alignment yes. Upgrade no. I've still got them in there. You can replace the shock, hell even the spring, but there is no information out there about doing so - other than AC sells a replacement spring and shock. So, obviously other combos will work. I have a hard time with dropping $1K on the front suspension in the form of coilovers, as I want that money for travels. Greg (PRG) does have a more reasonable coilover (price) that is high quality. I'll save.

I've been thinking about the same tires, too. For economy sake, I think I'm going to stick with 265/75r 16.

Mmm... Yes travels. :)

What type of mileage are you getting out of the 275's?

Before the Canopy I just got, I was getting 22mpg, being a good boy at 55mph. I could stretch that tank to 430mi before fill-up.

I am worried the canopy will hurt my mileage too much. Especially considering all the extras I'm about to add on.

Canopy, 285 tires, Shrockworks bumper, gear in the back, canopy rack. Hopefully I can stay above 17hwy.

articulate

Expedition Leader
With relaxed driving we can get it to "drip" at the rate of 18 miles per gallon in the best of circumstances. Can't get that with aggressive throttling.

Loaded up and driving in low range she'll suck down a gallon every 14 miles or so.:safari-rig:

Commuting around town, the last tank calculated to 16.8 GPM.

articulate said:
With relaxed driving we can get it to "drip" at the rate of 18 miles per gallon in the best of circumstances. Can't get that with aggressive throttling.

Loaded up and driving in low range she'll suck down a gallon every 14 miles or so.:safari-rig:

Commuting around town, the last tank calculated to 16.8 GPM.

Well, that's not terrible considering what others must endure.

I just got a canopy for my Frontier... I think I am actually noticing an INCREASE in mileage. From 20/21 to 24/25.

I also just received the AAL pack from Mr. Brown today, so those will go in on Thurs, and the 285's the same day.

Don't think I'll have enough time to find out exactly how much mileage increase I am getting with the canopy, but hopefully it'll be enough to offset all the other mods and weight I'm about to add.

All will come out in the wash in about 2 weeks. We're headed down from WA to Disneyland (wife and daughter's vacation) via Death Valley (my vacation). So we'll really be able to figure out mileage on the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles