PC or Tablet, for WORK, but, our vans see plenty of off pavement....

chasespeed

Explorer
FIRST OFF, I have to say, we are finally getting away from our current way of doing paper work... which, doesnt involve ANY paper... we use a Windows Mobile program, that the software developer does not support any more(or the hardware developer?), which, makes ALL of us VERY happy... finicky, temperamental POSs. They lock up, crash, or refuse to transmit...

ANYWAY, it was put out, that we are going to be changing the platform come the new year...

The problem is, the debate over a tablet or a laptop.

US...the laptop is dynamic for us, as Trane, and a few others, will allow us to jack directly into certain equipment, make changes, etc....

THEM... the Tablet, will allow capturing of signatures after work... but, they keep forgetting that the touchscreen doesnt acknowledge a stylus...

NOW... a regular latop isnt going to cut it... we travel to cell towers, which, can be in the city.... or, WAY WAY off any path... a lot require ATV/snowmobile use....

SO, a SSD is a must... and, the customer being able to "SIGN" it is a MUST. Needs to be fully functional, and as of now, with what I know about our current program, lets just say Windows... I will negate the Android or Apple stuff.....

This is from a a tech standpoint.. they actually WANT our input on these(something about the amount of "drops" off of roofs the current units see)...

Oh, and semi portable...

I know this isnt the forum, but, I need some insight from people who use an abuse these things...

I also have talked to a few other tradesmen I know regarding ease of use, etc etc...

Does Palm still support anything? Beaming, and barcode scanning?

Chase

890man

US...the laptop is dynamic for us, as Trane, and a few others, will allow us to jack directly into certain equipment, make changes, etc....

THEM... the Tablet, will allow capturing of signatures after work... but, they keep forgetting that the touchscreen doesnt acknowledge a stylus...

Chase
How about both, look at the Toughbook CF-19. Windows OS, Rugged construction, Tablet with a traditional keyboard plenty of COM ports, WiFi, GPS Waterproof, drop it as much as you like:) I am considering getting a used one for myself because the cost of a new one is steep.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The lady on the plane next to me yesterday had an iPad with a stylus. The app she was using allowed her to handwrite her notes. The styles looks sort of like an aluminum pencil held upside down, the erasure end touching the screen. Definitely purpose built, but seemed to work really well for her.

chasespeed

Explorer
Thanks... I am more educated on current tech, than I was 24 hours ago.....

The toughbook H2 and the CF are the winners with me... but, I am doubting they will spend that kind of coin again after this debacle.

Thank you for the different directions... Way too many options to just read each spec sheet, etc...

Chase

chasespeed

Explorer
I wont get into the "debacle". But, it is just that. They will be new, and as far as how many.... i dont know the scope of this project....

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior