SOFpirate's 1996 Montero LS buildthread.

scrubber3

Not really here
I have 32s on mine and I am thinking that 33s would be as high as I'd go without changing the gears out. If you do decide to go 35s without regearing, let me know how it does.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Also, next large purchase on the list are front and rear ARB air lockers. Mainly because there isn't an SR, running or not, around here for about 1000 miles.

I get confused on which axle/diff I do have in this one. It's not the locking diff, just the open diff. So I have the smaller one, which is an 8.5 right?

Also, are there any worries about the IFS and a front locker? I know in a lot of other models of truck, there are worries about IFS ripping itself apart because the wheels try to pull in different directions due to different flex positions and the conditions at the time. I've had Monteros for a while, and I gotta say, this front end is one of the strongest I've seen, and even stronger than some solid axle front ends.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
RACK IS ON!

Took about 6 hours to put together, well worth it though. Some spots didn't line up all too well, had to take the standard rubber mallet to convince.

Here's pictures!

2011-10-15_19-29-17_302.jpg

2011-10-15_19-28-03_92.jpg

Plus side is ... it fits in the garage!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Have you checked car-part.com for the diff/axle assembly? You may have to use it to locate a 3.5l engine then contact the yard that has the engine to check if they also have the rear locker.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
This just happened. Conversation with the wife:

Me: "SWEET! I just found an axle thanks to the guys on the forum! The sucky thing is that the closest one is in Suffolk, VIRGINIA!"

Her: "At least it's not halfway across the country."

Me: "Babe, we're in Florida. That is halfway across the country."

Her: "How much would shipping be, it's just an axle. How much do they weigh?"

Me: "Let me see if there's any trucker friends on their way to Florida who want to pick up an axle on their way."

Her: "That bad, huh?"

Me: "Yeah."

Is that clearance to buy one?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ship it via forward air. You'll need someone to bring it to and youll need to pick it up from their closest air terminal but shipping is pretty cheap.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Well ... I hit the trails today to see how my handiwork holds up. The rack didn't fall off!:wings:

It did add a few more inches of height to our already colossal rig, so I was clearing the path for all those little jeeps. Pics!

2011-10-16_15-37-58_243-1.jpg

2011-10-16_15-37-49_599-1.jpg

Unfortunately it's the same pose, just different angles. I was the lead rig today, not many cool picture opportunites.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
QUESTION!

After this past time wheeling (pics later), I've realized that in this school bus, at least a rear locker is needed.

I've already looked into getting the SR rear end and air compressor, and the closest one to me (here in FL), is in Suffolk, VA.

So, in a cheaper alternative, I was toying with the idea of getting some lunchbox lockers. Like Spartan lockers or something cheap. PLEASE tell me there's alternatives, or are we stuck with the reliable but expensive air lockers?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
QUESTION!

After this past time wheeling (pics later), I've realized that in this school bus, at least a rear locker is needed.

I've already looked into getting the SR rear end and air compressor, and the closest one to me (here in FL), is in Suffolk, VA.

So, in a cheaper alternative, I was toying with the idea of getting some lunchbox lockers. Like Spartan lockers or something cheap. PLEASE tell me there's alternatives, or are we stuck with the reliable but expensive air lockers?

The ring gear is a MITSUBISHI ring gear. It's not a Dana or any other brand gear. Mitsu either has them made by someone to their specifications or makes it themselves. Most likely its made by a Mitsu subsidiary since they're a 'superconglomerate' company (i.e. HUGE with lots of subsidiaries in a variety of industries). That said only 2 aftermarket manufacturers currently offer lockers for Mitsu.. ARB (front & rear) and Aussie Locker (front only). Both are from Australia.

My recommendation is to check car-part.com for a 94-99 Montero Locking rear differential and buy the entire unit including the housing etc. You'll get a bigger gear assy (9.5" ring gear), larger stronger axles, and the Locker. Plus it can be installed in a couple of hours by you and a buddy or two. Significantly less headache.

Alternatively if you buy just the locker then you'll need to have a shop install it and they'll likely charge you an extra hour or so of labor because it's not a standard r&p they're used to working on (even though it uses an easier to work on 3rd member design).

Oh, and don't forget to also get the Mitsu compressor that's in a compartment under the middle row seats. It's a low pressure unit (3-5psi IIRC) and that's all that's needed to actuate the locker.

HTH.

mike5

Adventurer
I've noticed that a little momentum with the Montero goes a long way....and I'm sure with 4 wheelers in general. In my one 3 hour experience off road, I realized using just a little bit more speed and staying on the gas while going through or over something made things a lot easier as opposed to slowing down too much and then trying to speed up once at the obstacle. So I'm not convinced a locker is needed that bad...although mine has one:)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've noticed that a little momentum with the Montero goes a long way....and I'm sure with 4 wheelers in general. In my one 3 hour experience off road, I realized using just a little bit more speed and staying on the gas while going through or over something made things a lot easier as opposed to slowing down too much and then trying to speed up once at the obstacle. So I'm not convinced a locker is needed that bad...although mine has one:)

There is a caveat to that... too much speed will end up increasing the potential for damage and/or injury to yourself as your head slams against the B pillar.:sombrero:.

Seriously though there is an art to picking the best line that allows you to maintain traction and it helps tremendously (both your driving enjoyment & reduction of wear & tear on the rig) if you have a locker.

scrubber3

Not really here
There is a caveat to that... too much speed will end up increasing the potential for damage and/or injury to yourself as your head slams against the B pillar.:sombrero:.

Seriously though there is an art to picking the best line that allows you to maintain traction and it helps tremendously (both your driving enjoyment & reduction of wear & tear on the rig) if you have a locker.

yep :)

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Thanks guys for the help on the questions.

I did some more research on finding the entire SR assembly, no joy. All you bastards took them all up. LOL!

I think what I'm going to do is just wait for a deployment, and then spend the cash on an entire ARB setup. I'm really "ONLY" a couple grand from my ideal rig setup. For now. As usual, I'll get it all on there, and then want more.

My immediate goals after my next deployment are these:

Wife gets a new car.

THEN!

Winch. (Haven't decided on how I want to mount it. Either in on a full up bumper rig or not)

Lockers. (Front and rear selectables)

Air Compressor for airing up and down the tires.

Snorkel. :snorkel: (Eventually)

2" lift. 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's!

That's really it for the big stuff. Is that too much? Or just enough?

We do a variety of wheeling, from muddy trails to crawling, and lots of road driving inbetween.

Also, has anybody had any issues with the 4.6 gears coupled with 35"? Or do you suggest going up to the 4.9? To be honest, regular Jeepers would KILL to have our type of gearing stock. All my buddies are jealous.

mike5

Adventurer
I agree on the correct line comment. My car and my buddy's both got stuck in a spot, where a simple adjustment of the line resulted in being able to make it.

As for speed/damage trade-off; I completely agree. In my situation (absent of rocks and other serious debris), going 3MPH vs. 1MPH can make a big difference with respect to making it vs. spinning wheels. Just a rookie observation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94