SOFpirate's 1996 Montero LS buildthread.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
And all that is very true. There's plenty of times where I just adjusted my line by a foot here or there and I've had no issues.

I guess what I'm REALLY doing is just trying to justify myself to buy all the cool extra upgrades for the rig. What I've always really wanted was a true tricked out rig capable of just about anything.

I mean, come on, if you could do it, wouldn't it be cool to have a Mitsubishi Montero ARB edition? I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't want a truck with a bunch of ARB "bling" on it. Now that I finally have the means to, and after YEARS of budget building, I just kinda want to treat myself.

Granted, this also could be seen as myself "selling out", but not really. Hell, ANY one of you can come down and drive it or wheel with me when its done.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Alright, after countless searching, I've come to a conclusion.

It's the same price either way for me to get the SR rear end vs. getting the whole ARB setup with air lockers.

Question is, the scale tipper is the installation fees. I know that it's not a big deal to drop the new axle into the truck. But putting diff lockers in? I don't quite trust myself yet with that kind of work, and nonetheless, I'll be getting a front one done sooner or later.

What's about the price range I should be looking at? There's only two shops here in this area that does that sort of thing, so they can charge whatever they want, giving me no price base to judge.

scrubber3

Not really here
I got my SR locker for $100 at the local pick and pull. That included the pump. Installed it myself. Only thing I couldn't do was put the SR flange on the LS drive shaft. So, total price was 100 for locking axle w/ pump, 5 for a switch, 20 dollars for new diff oil, 5 for paint, 85 for drive shaft work, and a day to install. 215 dollar total investment. That is a lot less than an ARB set up cost. Then factor in the labor you're going to pay someone and you can get a winch and armor at the very least using the money you'll save doing an SR assembly.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What's about the price range I should be looking at?

Can't say for the costs in Florida. Last time I had an ARB installed in the rear diff was in 2000'ish or so and that was $275.

You can sometimes buy a rear axle assembly w/ locker, compressor, & switch for that much at your local pick and pull. WAY less than the total for an ARB Locker, Compressor, & installation costs.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
The issue with buying the SR rear end from a pick 'n pull is the fact that there are none around here. The closest one, in all forms of searching and using different terminology each time, the closest one I found is in Suffolk, VA. I'm in NW Florida. Another issue is here in the SE, there's not much in the way of imports, unless you have a tuner. Everything down here is Chevy, Dodge, Ford, and Jeep. It's a southern thing. When I went offroading with a group of friends, who are very well versed in 4WD vehicles, then NEVER knew that a Montero even came in 4WD. So I'd be lucky to find a door handle at this rate.

scrubber3

Not really here
I guess I got lucky finding the SR here. I stumbled across it while looking for a condenser fan. I thought I was the luckiest person.... A rear locker really does make a huge difference. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. With that kind of money some might say it would be best to get a winch first.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Just installed my CB radio. FINALLY!

I mounted it in the storage slot underneath the radio, fits very well there, and made it a hell of a lot easier to run power to it and run the antenna line out. Just got a temporary magnetic antenna for now, until I figure out what/where I want to mount the real one.

So here's the question, lets see some antenna mounts! Where did you guys put yours?

mike5

Adventurer
Just curious where you picked up power from? Any pictures of the setup?

I'm running a magnetic antenna on the roof.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Here's a picture of where the radio sits. I pulled power from the actual music radio from behind. I just tapped into the 12V power wire (mine was yellow and clearly marked) on the back of the music radio to hook up the CB. Ran the ground to the same spot as the music radio and VIOLA! One working CB that only comes on when I flip the switch, all wires hidden. I ran the antenna wire out the passenger side behind the glovebox, through the kick panel and out the rubber seal up the door to the rain gutter to the roof. Crisp and clean, no caffine. All in all it took about 20-30mins, mainly for the wire running. It was six screws to take the panel down. Two above the A/C controls, then the 4 that holds the radio frame in. I gotta move it to the other side though, because it's "slightly" difficult to go to 4 low. I didn't think of it until I needed it. But that's what "operational testing" is for, right?

2011-11-25_21-43-48_872.jpg

And here's some bonus pictures from more wheeling.

2011-10-30_13-54-45_781.jpg

2011-10-30_13-54-57_502.jpg

2011-10-30_13-57-49_891.jpg

Don't mind the rear bumper. It looks like it's about to fall off because I've dinged it up so much. I'm still deciding on what to do. Replace it with another OEM? Or custom make a tube?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nicely done on the CB.

You also ought to consider removing the side steps and replacing them with rocker panel armor. You can even wrap the armor with the original steps to make it all look stock. If I had it to do again, that's what I'd have done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles