SOFpirate's 1996 Montero LS buildthread.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Alright, here we go.

I FINALLY got the approval to begin the build of the rig.

I'll post pics come Saturday of the start. It should be fun.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Here's a few of those standard "before" bone stock pictures.

Currently on it are a set of 31x10.5x15 Firestone Destination A/Ts. They haven't let me down yet, I'm actually fairly impressed with their performance.

2011-07-11_09-34-36_340.jpg

This is actually the true incline. How we didn't flip, I will never know.

2011-07-11_08-24-19_904.jpg

A little Montero flex. Not.

2011-07-11_09-28-52_14.jpg

A little water fording.

2011-07-11_11-18-58_183.jpg

Up next on the presidential agenda:

Custom Titanium Basket Rack
Paint the wheels black

Stay tuned!

scrubber3

Not really here
I had a set of those on my 2002 xterra and yes they were a very capable tire especially in the sand. Are you considering taking off the side steps to add a little clearance?

SOFpirate

Adventurer
I had a set of those on my 2002 xterra and yes they were a very capable tire especially in the sand. Are you considering taking off the side steps to add a little clearance?

Am I considering taking off the side steps? Yes.

Am I allowed to yet? No.

The wife wants to still be able to take the youngins out trailing with us. So I'm either stuck with the stock ones, or if I can find some rock sliders that can take their places. She claims it's pretty difficult to get them in and out of the truck. This technically is still our family vehicle. It's okay, because when I do 2" and 35's ... I'm buying her a new one.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
www.trail-gear.com has sliders that are inexpensive & fit (67" for $175).

Now that's a tempting deal. It says they're made for a Tacoma, my question is are the mounting points compatible? Or do I just need to pull a Montero owner and fab up some mounting plates?

Speaking of fabrication work. My basket rack will be ready come Wednesday or Thursday-ish. I got luck because I have a buddy that did it for me. Titanium ain't cheap.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Now that's a tempting deal. It says they're made for a Tacoma, my question is are the mounting points compatible? Or do I just need to pull a Montero owner and fab up some mounting plates?

No need for plates unless you want to use them (although I did). I just used the one they make for the Taco. The plates are a little bigger but still work fine. Look for my build thread on 4x4 wire dot com's mitsu tech forum. I go by the same name there.

Speaking of fabrication work. My basket rack will be ready come Wednesday or Thursday-ish. I got luck because I have a buddy that did it for me. Titanium ain't cheap.
Titanium?:Wow1:

scrubber3

Not really here
No need for plates unless you want to use them (although I did). I just used the one they make for the Taco. The plates are a little bigger but still work fine. Look for my build thread on 4x4 wire dot com's mitsu tech forum. I go by the same name there.

Titanium?:Wow1:

That's what I said.... :)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
That's what I said.... :)

Well hey, if you've got it may as well use it.:ylsmoke:

Myself, I don't have easy access to Titanium so I'd want mine to be made with Aluminum but most likely it will end up being steel since even with good availability of materials, very few people I know can weld aluminum (either don't know how or don't have access to the right welding gear).

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Yeah this dude is one of those "shady" friends that you are always kind of weary of. He just "happened" to come across some Titanium. Hell if I know where he got it. I cracked a joke about using Titanium for my rack. He said he'll do it.

I'm a little scared, but it would be cool.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Alright. Here's pictures of the tire painting operation today. It came out pretty good. And we have some ideas with for the little plastic hub caps as well. I'll get pics of those up later.

The Michelin in the picture is my flat spare that I need to replace. We naturally did the test run on that rim first. Then continued to the rest.

Buffed

2011-10-01_10-40-54_173.jpg

Primer stage

2011-10-01_11-01-55_999.jpg

2011-10-01_12-45-49_789.jpg

Finished product

2011-10-01_18-32-23_804.jpg

With the front tires done.

2011-10-01_18-32-44_568.jpg

I'll get more tomorrow when it's daylight out. Unfortunately, all our friends saw us with the tools out so we ended up working on about three other cars at the same time. Yeah.

zukrider

Explorer
This is actually the true incline. How we didn't flip, I will never know.

2011-07-11_08-24-19_904.jpg

you have at least another 10* before you get light. no worries!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94