Meindl Desert Fox boots for overland use

Sirocco

Explorer
Does anybody here use the above boot from Meindl?

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/Military/74/Desert-Fox-Safari-

Our forces are currently using these around the world and I have read a few good things about them.

Looking ahead to upcoming trips these boots would really compliment my current footwear in covering the 'warmer' side of things whilst hopefully providing better support etc than a standard hiking approach shoe (which I currently use).

The reason for looking at these is that here in the UK you can get a pair of surplus stock for approximately £30 ($45).

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Im mostly concerned with how they perform whilst driving, wicking ability, breathability, warmth etc. I did read somewhere they were goretex lined, but this seems to be only some I have found. Not sure this would be an advantage for the use this boot was designed for.

Cheers,

G

Ncrover725

I wore a pair in Afghanistan for a week and was not to fond of them. The heel cup rubbed and they were a bit snug in the forefoot. Some people did like them though. I think the U.S. Issue lightweight Bellville desert boot is way more comfortable. The Brit soldiers were always looking to trade U.S. Soldiers for theirs.

AKTank

Observer
I own a pair of meindl boots that I use for hunting and they are the best boots I've ever owned. I've been trying to find the desert tan meindl's over here in the US for work with no luck.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I own a pair of meindl boots that I use for hunting and they are the best boots I've ever owned. I've been trying to find the desert tan meindl's over here in the US for work with no luck.

Same here. I have a narrow heal, medium to narrow foot and medium instep and they damn near fit me like a custom pair of boots.

Larger volume feet need not apply though :ylsmoke:

I also have a couple pair of desert mil type Oakley's (Sabot mid and Sabot 2.0) that are proving to be very comfortable for hiking and hunting too.

Yudda

Adventurer
Finally got a pair of Desert Meindls....traded a pairs of Oakleys for them.

So far im not excited...My biggest concern is that they feel twice as heavy as the oakleys and incredibly stiff.
Everyone ive spoke to about them, rave how comfortable they are. Maybe once there truely broken in i'll like them.

Construction does look excellent.

will see.

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
I own several pair of the Meindl Safari boots, both the short and long version. Excellent desert boot, IMO. Are they heavier? Yes but the gain is excellent torsional stability over rough terrain which translates to less fatigue. Your body works a lot less to negotiate terrain over the course of a day in a trekking style boot which most well-resourced NATO countries issue to their Soldiers. Current US standard issue temperate boots (save for the brown Danners which are a fair improvement) have good soles and leather quarters but the upper of the boot is all lightweight nylon which offers little to no stability to prevent ankle injuries and increased fatigue. The running shoe boots (Oakley, Nike, Rocky, etc) seem cool but at the end of a tough day carrying a lot of weight over rough terrain, one pays for the cool look in fatigue and lifespan of the boot.
-
If you're not carrying any weight and you're not required to be in a boot everyday for extended periods, then the running shoe boots are fine.

bartheil

Like any shoe, if they fit, they're great, if not they're awfull... The first rep. I encountered when buying my first pair of mountain boots told me to try on the different options blindfolded. Teaches you to focus on the fit.
Personally, I buy my boots (and most other decent shoes) when on family visits in Holland. love Meindl and other local brands I can get there. Way better fit and better quality.

Leviathan

Observer
I must have a toe bumper on my hiking boots that covers at least part of the top of the toe. Even very high quality gore-tex boots without the toe bumper end up leaking around that area because of wear. This is especially true in mountaineering and alpine backpacking. Scree fields will really mess up the toes of leather boots.

I have not used the Meindl boots, but I will avoid them for this reason.

NothingClever

Explorer
The reason for looking at these is that here in the UK you can get a pair of surplus stock for approximately £30 ($45).

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Im mostly concerned with how they perform whilst driving, wicking ability, breathability, warmth etc. I did read somewhere they were goretex lined, but this seems to be only some I have found. Not sure this would be an advantage for the use this boot was designed for.

Cheers,

G

I didn't truly absorb your post before I responded. Lemme try again....
-
The Safari mid (tall) or low is NOT Gore-tex lined. If you find some that are, they're probably an older version. The current Safari is very breathable and wicks foot moisture well while simultaneously preventing dirt instrusion. If you're in a desert environment where it's cold at night, you'll want some good wool socks. I recommend buying a second pair of insoles (keeps your boots feeling new when you swap them out every morning). I also am fond of toe bumpers and was worried the Meindl Safari would allow a lot of wear but strangely enough, the front leather quarters have remained amazingly unworn. I do, however, use a suede brush about once a week. The sole is excellent off the pavement. However, if where you're going you anticipate a lot of walking on pavement, they'll wear down quickly and they're not a re-soleable boot.
-
Hope that's a little more on target!

Sirocco

Explorer
I didn't truly absorb your post before I responded. Lemme try again....
-
The Safari mid (tall) or low is NOT Gore-tex lined. If you find some that are, they're probably an older version. The current Safari is very breathable and wicks foot moisture well while simultaneously preventing dirt instrusion. If you're in a desert environment where it's cold at night, you'll want some good wool socks. I recommend buying a second pair of insoles (keeps your boots feeling new when you swap them out every morning). I also am fond of toe bumpers and was worried the Meindl Safari would allow a lot of wear but strangely enough, the front leather quarters have remained amazingly unworn. I do, however, use a suede brush about once a week. The sole is excellent off the pavement. However, if where you're going you anticipate a lot of walking on pavement, they'll wear down quickly and they're not a re-soleable boot.
-
Hope that's a little more on target!

Thanks, I think I would be looking at the lower versions as my legs are not that long! Everything you said makes sense. Im unlikely to be carrying a pack whilst on this trip (unless I have to walk out) but the security of a boot will probably be worth it.

Thanks for all your advice, I think im going to purchase a pair soon.

G

NothingClever

Explorer
The low version is, indeed, very nice, IMO. Great combination of foot/ankle stability along with the comfort of a short boot.

NothingClever

Explorer
On my fourth pair now. The new version is nice....just enough height for ankle stability without being restrictive. Price has come down but quality is still the same. Still the same great sole and the very breathable without letting dust in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles