Air shocks Y or N ??

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Go easy on me here...
I'm contemplating on using an air shock (as opposed to bags) on a truckbed trailer.
My thought is that when the payload increases I can stiffen things up & increase the height a little if needed. Then run them at minimum when lite or empty.

Right now the trailer with no shocks is very sloppy... it tows fine for the few miles I've towed it and it doesn't wander, it just need to be tightened up...

I was also thinking about either a Monroe Sensa-Trac or Reflex shock if not the above air shocks.

Thanks for the input...

Curt

Woods

Explorer
I don't have any experience with them, but if you have room air shocks make perfect sense to me. I didn't have enough room to make them effectively work on my trailer. Otherwise, they would have been my first choice.

Go easy on me here...
I'm contemplating on using an air shock (as opposed to bags) on a truckbed trailer.
My thought is that when the payload increases I can stiffen things up & increase the height a little if needed. Then run them at minimum when lite or empty.

Right now the trailer with no shocks is very sloppy... it tows fine for the few miles I've towed it and it doesn't wander, it just need to be tightened up...

I was also thinking about either a Monroe Sensa-Trac or Reflex shock if not the above air shocks.

Thanks for the input...

Curt

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Hard to say, except that the bags are designed to support more weight, like on your trailer.

air shocks may keep it from boucing, but the air bags will keep the trailer level uunder a heavy load...just my ramblings, you gotta try it so the rest of us know

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Keep in mind that the shock mounts are not designed to be load bearing. They support no weight. They are designed to withstand only the hydraulic resistance of the shock absorber. If you are going to support the weight of your load on the shock mounts, you may have to beef them up to keep them from failing.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
While I truly can't say what the payload may be I'm sure it'll be a couple hundred pounds at what might be considered empty... then add a few hundred pounds more when on a trip... ??
I understand that airshocks won't increase payload and such and can see your mount concerns, but I'm mounting the lowers myself on the axle tube and will check the uppers for strength...
Am wrong in thinking that the airshock will act as a shock AND help to level the a slightly uneven load or gain a little tire clearance if needed ??

I'm still thinking as to which route I'll go...

Thanks for the input guys...

Curt

Woods

Explorer
You are correct, that you can use air shocks for load leveling. Just need to run separate air lines to them.

Yes, these will act as both shock and height adjustable. As I recall, 2 air shocks support up to 1,100 lbs of weight.

While I truly can't say what the payload may be I'm sure it'll be a couple hundred pounds at what might be considered empty... then add a few hundred pounds more when on a trip... ??
I understand that airshocks won't increase payload and such and can see your mount concerns, but I'm mounting the lowers myself on the axle tube and will check the uppers for strength...
Am wrong in thinking that the airshock will act as a shock AND help to level the a slightly uneven load or gain a little tire clearance if needed ??

I'm still thinking as to which route I'll go...

Thanks for the input guys...

Curt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94