2 Adults, 5 Kids, Every Country in North and South America in a Veggie Powered F250

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
What are you plans for Mexico? With all the violence in the country right now, I sure as heck wouldn't be taking my entire family into a country like that willingly. Good luck on your journey, I hope for you and your family's sake that you don't run into the wrong people while passing through there. Seems like an unnecessary risk just to visit other countries.

Curious, what research is this based on?

Goochm

Observer
Montezuma Castle Visit

I was walking out of work when I saw the F250 in the parking lot at Montezuma Castle National Monument. I knew immediately who they were and had to go back in and tell them they should visit Adventure Overland and Overland Journal. They had been there the previous day! The kids ARE great, and I had a wonderful time talking with them about the Sinagua who lived in the cliff dwelling 900 years ago (and helping a little with their "Junior Ranger" stuff too). I have met many people here who are doing the AK-to-Argentina trip as well as globe-trotting, and I'd say I have most enjoyed the few minutes I spent with them. Best wishes!

snorkel54

Adventurer
<Our websites share our family overland travel adventures, and inspire others to design the lifestyle of their dreams.>

An interesting story, to be sure, but thinly veiled marketing nonetheless, IMHO.

Or am I just an old codger who still can't understand this whole social media thing?

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
What are you plans for Mexico? With all the violence in the country right now, I sure as heck wouldn't be taking my entire family into a country like that willingly. Good luck on your journey, I hope for you and your family's sake that you don't run into the wrong people while passing through there. Seems like an unnecessary risk just to visit other countries.

Mexico is great, just zip past the border region, and then take your time, enjoy yourselves. The kids will love it.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
<Our websites share our family overland travel adventures, and inspire others to design the lifestyle of their dreams.>

An interesting story, to be sure, but thinly veiled marketing nonetheless, IMHO.

Or am I just an old codger who still can't understand this whole social media thing?

Um, yeah, the latter.

Just kidding. :)

But actually, they do talk in their website about how they are funding their travel by selling stuff they believe in. And for the record, we asked them to share their ongoing trip here with us on ExPo, they didn't come here to market anything.

VuickB6

What is this I don't even
Curious, what research is this based on?

I have family and friends that won't go visit loved ones down there because of the drug war. Numerous Americans have been killed for no other reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. My company no longer allows travel to Mexico except in very rare cases that has to be approved by numerous people.

The latest news on the violence:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news...iolence-Plagued-Coastal-Mexico-131317059.html

The Mexican navy says 32 bodies have been discovered in the eastern state of Veracruz, where dozens of bodies were dumped on a road in broad daylight just last month.

The bodies were found Thursday in three houses in the Gulf coast seaport, which has become the latest focal point of the country's brutally violent drug war.

Authorities suspect the violent Zetas drug cartel is responsible for last month's discovery of 35 bodies that were found littered on a main avenue in Veracruz.

President Felipe Calderon has deployed federal police and security forces to Veracruz.

More than 40,000 people have been killed in Mexico since Mr. Calderon launched a military crackdown on illegal drug activity in 2006.

Curious, would you take your family down there?

GR8ADV

Explorer
I have family and friends that won't go visit loved ones down there because of the drug war. Numerous Americans have been killed for no other reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. My company no longer allows travel to Mexico except in very rare cases that has to be approved by numerous people.

The latest news on the violence:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news...iolence-Plagued-Coastal-Mexico-131317059.html

Curious, would you take your family down there?

Absolutely.

Suffice it to say that if your main source of information is from the Media, you are sadly very mis-informed. Mods, please don't let this great thread become yet another "is it safe in Mexico" mash. I hope you have the ability to delete them if they start, this one included. If folks really want to delve deep into this subject see the "is mexico safe" thread on ADV and get a big lunch.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927&highlight=mexico+safe

Great adventure you are on and a wonderful inspiration to all especially those with families. thank you!

r_w

Adventurer

No veil at all. They are pretty up-front about it.

Whether you guys can find veggie south of the border or not, having the on-board filter setup should reduce problems with dirty fuel.

Keep up on the worldschooling, they will remember it.

D

Deleted member 9101

"When the time to perform arrives, the time to prepare has past."

Oh, I am sooooo using that one!!!! As for being prepared, true preparedness is what you carry in between your ears, not whats on your back. All the "gee-wiz" gear and toys don't mean anything if you have no common sense. I think you guys are more than prepared. :elkgrin:

Darwin

Explorer
I question if the truck will actually make it. I don't think it will, but I hope it does!

I am excited to see how it all turns out.

VuickB6

What is this I don't even
Absolutely.

Suffice it to say that if your main source of information is from the Media, you are sadly very mis-informed. Mods, please don't let this great thread become yet another "is it safe in Mexico" mash. I hope you have the ability to delete them if they start, this one included. If folks really want to delve deep into this subject see the "is mexico safe" thread on ADV and get a big lunch.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927&highlight=mexico+safe

Great adventure you are on and a wonderful inspiration to all especially those with families. thank you!

Read my reply again please, my main source of information is clearly NOT the media. But it sounds to me like you desperately want it to so you could whip out your "sadly mis-informed" line and show me what's what.

I've said my peace, I know I'm not going to change any minds and there will be no delving deep into the subject. I asked an honest question and was seeking a response from the OP not everyone else.

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
I appreciate having found your website earlier this year and being able to follow along on your travels. My wife and I have 5 children and were preparing to take an trip to Mexico and Central America. We were working on teaching our children Spanish and then found out this past March that my wife has Leukemia. The Spanish lessons came in handy with our newly immigrated Mexican caregiver and now that my wife has completed her Chemo treatments we can hopefully start planning again for sometime in the next two years.

I work for an employer who gives me 6 weeks of vacation time per year but my time maxes out at 4 weeks and then I start losing time. I figure between those four weeks and a leave of absence I can make it deep into Mexico at a somewhat leisurely pace or mad dash to Central America for two weeks and then return.

Stay safe on your travels and keep us posted.

Kevin

Sorry to hear about your wife, hope she is doing better and you can move forward with your plans!

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Kids, Schoolwork

How old are the kids now? How do you organize schoolwork, etc? Sounds fascinating.

Our children are 9, 7, 6, 4 and 1.

For education, we focus extensively on developing a love of learning through reading aloud, which happens at bedtime, and then during the day while driving, etc.

We also are extremely adamant about hands-on learning (especially while our children are so young) and relevant, experiential knowledge. Like learning that saguaro cactus don't grow their first arm until they are 60 years old, then reading a book to learn more and finding out that at 14 years old they are as tall as a pencil (all spawned because we saw the saguaros and were fascinated by them.)

We buy books at local stores/gift shops (like at the Grand Canyon or Bryce, etc) and read those.

Writing is done in journals or postcards/letters.

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
How are you refining the waste oil on the road? Has it been difficult to find restaurants with the oil? Which ones do you target?

thanks,
Darcy

The oil is filtered through a filter that is installed on our veggie tank. We are very selective in the oil that we use - it has to have the right clarity. We usually find good oil at Burger King, KFC, Chinese or Mexican Restaurants.

McDonalds and Wendy's has horrible oil.

(Oh and a disgusting tid bit of info - most used veggie oil is collected and sent to feedlots to fatten the beef we eat before it's slaughtered) Ugh.

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Mexico is great, just zip past the border region, and then take your time, enjoy yourselves. The kids will love it.

We personally know of three separate families (each with 3-6 kids) who have driven across the Mexico border just last month. One family lives in Mexico, and they make regular trips (every 6 months at least). We will be staying with them.

We'll carefully document our crossing, and share how it goes :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles