Cables vs. Chains

Idlehour

Observer
Thinking about switching to safety cables to keep things quieter when pulling the trailer. Are there any cons vs safety chains?

FAW3

Adventurer
A bit of a diffrent application...but I use coiled cable as the "safety chain" between our jeep and our RV. They store well and the coiling action keeps tension on the cable so they stay "up" nice and tight...that aspect might be a good thing off road.

As noted...they are quieter.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
How about the weathering of the coating on the cables... I used cables on my towbar for my XJ & in the sun they have discolored... I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before they crack...
Maybe chains with a cover/sleave over them... bike innertube ?

Curt

onelow1ton

Adventurer
I did this on an old boat trailer for my grandfather a wile back but I took the chains off and got some plasti dip for dipping tool handles and such in and dipped the chains and hung them up to dry and then redipped after and rehung to dry then put back on the trailer and they were quiet and somewhat protected from the salt water

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Chains VS cables

I am glad I switched from the clunky loud safety chains to safety cables.
They are quiet, recoil nice, and work well. I will have to see how the vinyl coating holds up.

Attachments

• hitch2.JPG
    hitch2.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 56

JeepDork

Adventurer
My answer is the ability to remove the cable during storage. I have made my safety cable removable. When in use it will be on the trailer. When stored it's in the tongue box. The coating should last a lot longer. A hook on both ends would work too, that would also make it handy at camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94