The Camper, the Truck and what we learned

sisu

Adventurer
Our experience so far as "RV" type campers is novice range, but we learned & enjoyed not setting up & breaking down camp. We bought a 2006 quad cab, 8 ft bed diesel Dodge with 20k on the odometer. Then within a few weeks we stumbled upon a Northern Lites 9.6 made in 1994. It's an old one, but light and has problems here and there, but all fixable. My wife and I can fix nearly anything and we are not too proud to ask for advice.
Photomike was a serious help here recently with some leak problem suggestions. We have no idea if we addresses the right areas but given the age of the camper we are going over everything sealing with Proflex, 3M 5200 (clam shell seam area). Next spring we'll use some sikaflex 252 for some delamination problems here and there.

It may seem like a lot of work but for what we paid it is worth it to us.

Trips so far have been great. We did one to Yooperland(Nothern Michigan) for a month & then back to our real home Alaska where we spent 5 weeks. Sadly we had to leave since we own a house in the Lower 48 & cannot afford to live in one place while a house would sit dormant, but eventually we'll sell and move back home.

The camper was a treat for us especially my wife who, even though was raised among bears, does not sleep well in bear country inside of a tent(and we do all the required things to avoid bear problems). We have been fortunate through out the years in this regard as we keep a clean camp whether it be camping, fish camp or hunting camp.

I feel like Photomike in regards to campers. Northern Lite & Big Foot are what I wanted from the get go. IF I were to become very industrious and build my own I'd mount it permanently on a flatbed. But what materials to use that is a quandary. Aluminum studding with a metal or fiberglass skin? Nidacore(spelling might be wrong) instead of the Al frame? It seems that every year brings new & exciting options to pick from. What I really don't see is Lance, NL, Big Foot (in operation again I am told) etc. researching and changing with progress in materials. I understand about tooling up & expense of operating a manufacturing business, but you need to move on with progress in technology. Look at Alaska Camper for an example. They could be moving in a lighter direction with modern materials keeping their design and improving along the way. I don't see that happening.
Lance at least started using Al & fiberglass.

I'll try to slow down and post some Alaska photos but pheasant/water fowl season is near & the camper will be out for that and kayak trips&fishing. Like I said we love them camper.
Before I end this. If I do an elk camp or deer camp next fall I'll bring the wall tent along also so we have a big area to shoot the bull and visit in. The camper is great but having 12x12 with the wood stove is nice for cooking, visiting and BSing in.

LakeLBJ

Observer
What I really don't see is Lance, NL, Big Foot (in operation again I am told) etc. researching and changing with progress in materials. I understand about tooling up & expense of operating a manufacturing business, but you need to move on with progress in technology. Look at Alaska Camper for an example. They could be moving in a lighter direction with modern materials keeping their design and improving along the way. I don't see that happening.
Lance at least started using Al & fiberglass.

I totally agree, I wish we would see more innovation in the truck camper industry. A 1950's looking camper (ie Alaskan) just doesn't cut it on a 2012 truck. Why are the europeans and Australians so far ahead?

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
i totally agree, i wish we would see more innovation in the truck camper industry. A 1950's looking camper (ie alaskan) just doesn't cut it on a 2012 truck. Why are the europeans and australians so far ahead?

x3

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
$8.00/gal fuel/gas would explain the Euros push for lighter materials.

Northstar products have a large following despite their weight overseas. I do wish they'd go to aluminum regardless though.

dzzz

The industry builds what people are willing to buy. An $80,000 monoshell slide-in truck camper probably wouldn't sell. Truck campers by their nature as an add-on aren't particularly attractive. People are concerned about interior space, cost, and enough longevity.
There is the XP Camper, so it's not like there are no alternatives in a more modern design.
Making RVs commercially seems like a crappy business to me. I'm surprised people do it.

CliftonSmith

Observer
The industry builds what people are willing to buy. An $80,000 monoshell slide-in truck camper probably wouldn't sell. Truck campers by their nature as an add-on aren't particularly attractive. People are concerned about interior space, cost, and enough longevity.
There is the XP Camper, so it's not like there are no alternatives in a more modern design.
Making RVs commercially seems like a crappy business to me. I'm surprised people do it.

I agree with your statement that people's concern about truck campers are on its interior space, cost, and longevity. That is also what I'm looking for a camper truck :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles