Are your expedition/overland vehicles auto, or stick?

robvt

I feel like it's damn near impossible to find a new manual truck (unless you order it). It makes me think that quite a few of you are probably running automatics. I've never owned an automatic in my life, but I plan on getting a Tacoma in the very near future.

While I instinctively seek out manuals, I'm wondering if anyone has an argument for automatics? I know the typical answer is "use whatever works for you," but the fact that truck companies aren't making many -if any at all- stick shift trucks, I assume there must be a functional reason for it.

I'm not hugely objected to the idea of making the switch to an automatic, I just need a good reason (aside from just not being able to find a manual).

Anyone have some 2cents to put in on this?

nucktaco

Adventurer
wow that was a helpful post.

Dont quote me on it but ive heard that the newer autos get better fuel economy than a manual these days.

now that wasnt hugely helpful either but i have a 2008 tacoma with the automatic and with basically no maintenance done to my truck i havent had any transmission problems.

ive towed alot (over the limit a few times- obvs not recommended) and havent had any issues either.

Im not a fan of where the ebrake handle is placed on the 2nd gen tacomas when equipped with a manual trans. i found it hit my knee but i only drove a manual tacoma a handful of times so i might just have not had the seat adjusted properly.

i also think an auto would be easier to sell than a stick as anyone can drive an auto. ( resale value is always a good thing to consider):smiley_drive:

aikane

Observer
I used to be "anti-auto" until buying a '09 Tacoma double-cab, I believe the 5-speed was not an option on the d-cab. The auto takes the fun out of driving on the street, but makes wheeling a lot easier. There's more control when going over obstacles and no more stalling or playing with the clutch. Overall, I think it's more comfortable.:)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My current vehicle is an automatic (99 4runner.) If I have my way it will be the last automatic transmission vehicle I ever own.

My opinion is this: For 80% of driving tasks, there's no appreciable difference between an auto and a manual. For 15% of off-road driving the manual is better, and for about 5% an auto is better. If you are used to manuals (my 4runner was only the 2nd auto tranny vehicle I'd ever owned and the first true 4x4 I'd ever owned with an auto) then you will find that not being able to select gears is a PITA. Also the slushbox will soak up power that would otherwise be usable - I owned a Taco with a 5 speed and now own a 4runner with an auto. Both had the same 3.4 V6 but the Taco felt noticeably more powerful because of the ability to choose which gear I wanted to be in.

EPA estimates sometimes put autos equal to or better than manuals but I've never owned a vehicle that I haven't been able to beat the EPA estimates on anyway. My Taco got about 2 - 3 MPG better than my 4runner under similar driving conditions (of course my 4runner is only a 4 speed auto, the newer 5 speed autos are better on MPG from what I've heard.)

There are folks here who will say that once you go auto, you never go back but speaking just for me, that's not true. I bought an auto for a couple of reasons, but mainly so my wife (who can drive a stick but doesn't like to) would be able to drive it as well. Turns out she just doesn't like driving that much and has only driven my truck once in 2.5 years. So my next vehicle will definitely be a manual. Most likely a Nissan Xterra off-road, since that's one of the very few SUVs out there that can be had with both a manual tranny and a rear differential locker.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
BTW, AFAIK the following vehicles are available with manual transmissions (all 6 speed manuals I believe):

Toyota Tacoma Access Cab (i.e. extra cab) and double-cab short bed (long bed DC is auto only.)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Nissan Frontier
Nissan Xterra (Xterra Off Road has a rear e-locker)
Jeep Wrangler

I think the Jeep Liberty is available with a manual tranny but I don't know how many of those are actually made with one. The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon might also be available with a manual, but I'm not sure (too lazy to check it out.) Some of the full-size Ford Super Duty and Dodge Ram trucks are also available with manuals, I think. At least they used to be. The Ford Ranger is available with a manual but I think 2011 was the last year for the Ranger.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I just went from an auto Frontier to and 6spd Tacoma, all other differences aside the 6spd is a blast to drive on and off road. The auto was nice especially in slow and tricky off road situations. It was nice not to have to mess with the clutch and the newer 5spd autos available in the Nissan and Toyotas are nice and smooth on the highway. Other then that the manual has been more fun but off highway performance is a hard call witch is better. I think you will have to try and find a couple of the same trucks but with different trans. But that may be a hard task depending were you live. Good luck in the search, and remember get the one YOU will enjoy more.

I'm the original owner of my 1999 Tacoma 5 speed manual 4x4. I've never driven an auto off road. Here's some pros and cons I learned from experience and research:

manual pros:

excellent engine compression braking when going down hills
easy roll starts in dead-battery scenario
excellent gear and RPM control
Yes, slightly more power being delivered to the wheel over like-equipped autos trannys (I did research it once*, not a guess)
Very few people ever ask to borrow your truck if it has manual. :)

Cons:

I had to upgrade my suspension just to reduce amount of stopping and starting on bumps/obstacles; it was killing my clutch by requiring more clutch activity on the constants stop/starts. With better suspension I can drive over more of it without stopping or slowing, downshifting.

Dang near nobody I ride with can not drive stick, so if I'm ever injured, I don't have a back up driver for my truck.

Uphills can be nerve wracking for some stick drivers if you go from stop to start on a steep hill. I do it all the time and have zero issues*, but for some it's a skill set they never quite get.

*I've accidentally pulled it out of first gear during a steep up-hill climb- by resting my hand on the stick. The uphill angle put down hill pressure on my arm/hand, and it was just enough with a bump to knock it out of gear once. Scary moment when the truck started going backwards for a second.

Less resale value in some areas. Although some people do seek them out and pay more for them. So it can make it a bit of an item later. (My brother can't find a low mileage 2nd gen Tacoma 5 speed to save his butt. Easily 95% of Tacomas out there are pre-runners; the remaining few percent that are 4x4s are almost all autos.)

Auto Pros that I know :

Much easier to rock-and-roll between drive and reverse when trying to get unstuck.
Much easier to manage slow, intricate torque-heavy maneuvering without destroying a manual clutch.
Allows easy simultaneous braking and accelerating (for activating some lockers/LSD systems during wheel slip or lift)
Anybody can drive it in an emergency
Much easier to drive in stop and go freeway traffic
Easier to tow (although that can really put a lot of strain on the auto tranny over time-- get a tranny cooler, they say)

Cons:
If not maintained properly, theoretically more prone to maintenance issues like overheating, and shifting problems. I had one auto in a 1970 hot rod I built, and that thing was a nightmare. Today's tranny's I'm sure are much better!

not as fun as stick driving, as we stick folks like to say

Less precise gear & RPM control

more people will want to borrow the truck!

Much easier to sell an auto equipped vehicle

don't have to worry about getting a good clutch replacement job one day, a vanishing art.

*Last I researched efficiency claims in auto vs. manual, back in the 1990s, there was still the famous "10 to 15 percent factor" -- engineers spoke of auto tranny's losing about 10 to 15 percent efficiency over manuals due to auto tranny internal pump and the big power-sucking torque converter. No getting around this ever, I suspect; law of conservation gets in the way. If an auto version of a vehicle got better gas mileage, it was for other reasons like gearing or test conditions. Bottom line was that manuals deliver more power to the wheel, even if you don't notice it or it doesn't show up in the MPG. But a bad manual driver can defeat all of that, just like a clever auto driver can also sometimes.

hope this helps!

dcoy

Adventurer
Manual all the way for me, more for subjective than any particular objective reason. It does limit some of the vehicle options though. I have investigated FJ80s and found that it would be easy to retrofit a manual transmission into these if desired since Toyota does make the components (for use in non-USA versions, naturally).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One other factor that favors the manual is the cost of repair or replacement. Many off-roaders who travel in undeveloped countries choose manual transmissions because they can be repaired in almost any moderately well equipped shop. Modern automatics are so full of electronics and other highly technical parts that the only way to "fix" them on the road is to pull them out, replace them, and then ship the broken one back to the factory for repair.

I've never had to replace/repair an auto (knock wood!:D) but my understanding is that the cost for a rebuilt replacement transmission is something on the order of $2500 - $4000 installed, depending on where you are and what type of vehicle it is.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I have the 6 speed in my truck. In fact, I have never owned an auto. Some thoughts:

There were some issues with the 6 speed transmissions in the Tacoma 2nd Gens. Are they fixed? I hope so, but its always in the back of my head...

A manual can lose all its fluid and still operate, just not for long until it overheats and siezes. I can JB weld a hole or lost drain plug and fill with engine oil and get out. Try that with an auto.

You can bump start a manual.

The tacoma autos get better mileage and are easier to drive. The electronics now have replaced the compression braking advantage the manual used to have.

Changing tire size and gear ratio on a manual does not confuse the computer like the auto does. The computer will 'learn' the new driving habits over time though.

Buy what you like. If the new Tacoma had a diesel I would buy one with an auto since Im tired of SoCal stop and go traffic, but YMMV.

defrag4

Road Warrior
i like the manual for the reason of K.I.S.S, manual tranny is a much simpler piece of equipment then an auto crammed full of electronics and clutch plates. that being said, there have been plenty of "bullet-proof" autos built out there

Box Rocket

I can't argue with the "fun-factor" of a manual, or the slightly easier and less expensive aspects to repair a manual trans when compared to an Auto. There is a slight power loss with an auto trans, that's just how they work, but that power can be regained with lower gears.

In answer to the original question, both my 80 series cruiser and my Tacoma are both Automatics. I had a manual 4-speed FJ40 for years prior to either one of these trucks. From an enjoyment point of view I prefer the manual and when off-road selecting the gear you want and having it stay in that gear is nice. You can select L or 1st with an automatic when offroad, but sine you are not in the habit of manually selecting a gear with an auto it can be overlooked and sometime the transmission will shift to a higher (or lower) gear at inopportune times off road. It's just something you need to be cogniscent of and select the correct gear if you need to.

All that being said, for expedition/overland use I personally have zero complaints about the automatic transmissions in both my trucks. I was skeptical of it in my Tacoma when i first got it, but I actually like it a lot. I don't think there is anything wrong with the automatic transmissions in the trucks you are considering.

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
I had a manual 6 speed Xterra OR edition. We loved it, although I have to admit that there were times when rock crawling that I really wanted an automatic. But that wasn't to frequent. I now have a first gen 4runner with twin sticks. It now is geared so low, you don't have to work the clutch like I did on the Xterra.

Buy the manual and re-gear the Tcase. Best of both worlds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles