FS: Mercedes 300td wagon

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
The 300TD is a great travel platform that you can get FACTORY skidplates & raised springs and the roof rack holds a ton as seen in many photos.
The engine is really the best remote area diesel you can get as it is known around the world and being fully mechanical it is easy to repair.
Also you can run anything from veggie oil to filtered motor oil....I should know we had a sedan & you couldn't kill it.

If I had the cash I would be all over this and setup it up African/Rally style as a forest road explorer/camper all the while getting 30-35mpg.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've never seen over 30 mpg on my 300TD unless you factor in the use of vegetable oil which we filter and use in addition to regular diesel fuel. If you do that, we're getting at least 50 miles per gallon of diesel fuel, probably even more but we don't track it that closely. The wagon tend to lose a few mph on the veggie, lower energy content per gallon of oil vs straight diesel fuel.

They are a great platform, lots of fun to drive if you have the turbocharged version, if you don't, not so much.

Ours is getting close to having 300,000 miles on the engine, we swapped it out of our original 1985 body and put it in our better condition 1980 body a while back and it had well over 250,000 at the time of the swap. There are numerous examples of people getting between 500,000 and 1,000,000 miles on the 300 series vehicles. They were and probably still are used as taxicabs in many parts of the world.

The price on the one listed is a bit high in my opinion, I wouldn't pay that much for one with that kind of mileage and with the listed problems, that looks like about a 3-4 thousand dollar MB to me. Offer 3, go up to 4 and see what happens.

X2. I've owned my 85TD for 9 yrs and love it and I've owned a number of others but 24-26mpg is what it will return. The SLS is really nice when carrying heavy loads.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I didn't realize there was that kind of mileage drop in the wagon vs the sedan. My older son had a sedan and was in the high 20's when he drove and I was in the low 30's...of course he was a teenager trying to get to school quickly (which he just wouldn't accept that the car was solid but slow).

Actually if I was shopping again I would get an SD as I like the extra space as far as sedans go. But for a travel/camping forest road cruiser the wagon is a killer setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier