Early Ford Overdrive options?

blupaddler

Conspirator
Background: I have a 1988 Ford E350 4x4 van with the 460 motor and C6 3-speed automatic transmission.

As we all know, great trails and explorations usually involve some sort of highway driving. Since my van has the C6, highway driving isn't as pleasant or economic as it could be. I have been researching overdrive options, but information is spotty most of the time...

Does anyone know when the 460 in the E series got an overdrive? Was it 1992, during the big change?

I like the overbuilt, strong aspect of the C6, but would really like to have the overdrive for highway driving. Having said that, I have narrowed down some options, and wanted to see if anyone had any real-world experience or first hand knowledge with any of them before I started to go any further than just internet research...

#1 Gear Vendors. You keep your main transmission, and the unit bolts on aft of the tranny. Effectively splitting each gear. However it cannot be used in 4x4, but who uses the OD when 4x4 anyway?

#2 AOD. Replace my C6 tranny with an AOD. I don't want to deal with the computer and wiring mess of the AODE. However, the AOD does not bolt up to a big block, and thus I would have to buy an adapter to make it work.

#3 ??? Am I missing something? Any other options to gain an overdrive?

Both options would end up costing about the same in the end. The Gear Vendors has a higher initial cost. But the new AOD tranny, flex-plate, torque converter, plus adapter adds up quickly.

r_w

Adventurer
My 94 has OD, but it is only a 5.8

You could doublestack T-cases and drop diff ratios, but that is like starting in second all the time. and probably costs most in the end unless you have the right cases just sitting around.

nely

Adventurer
What t-case do you have in the van?

The aod is a small block pattern and probably wont work well.

The e4od was made in the big block bolt pattern so you wouldnt need special adapters to the engine. But i dunno if itll bolt up to your t-case and like you stated, youll need a independent controller for the shifting since its a fully electronic.

ramrunnr

Background: I have a 1988 Ford E350 4x4 van with the 460 motor and C6 3-speed automatic transmission.

As we all know, great trails and explorations usually involve some sort of highway driving. Since my van has the C6, highway driving isn't as pleasant or economic as it could be. I have been researching overdrive options, but information is spotty most of the time...

Does anyone know when the 460 in the E series got an overdrive? Was it 1992, during the big change?

I like the overbuilt, strong aspect of the C6, but would really like to have the overdrive for highway driving. Having said that, I have narrowed down some options, and wanted to see if anyone had any real-world experience or first hand knowledge with any of them before I started to go any further than just internet research...

#1 Gear Vendors. You keep your main transmission, and the unit bolts on aft of the tranny. Effectively splitting each gear. However it cannot be used in 4x4, but who uses the OD when 4x4 anyway?

#2 AOD. Replace my C6 tranny with an AOD. I don't want to deal with the computer and wiring mess of the AODE. However, the AOD does not bolt up to a big block, and thus I would have to buy an adapter to make it work.

#3 ??? Am I missing something? Any other options to gain an overdrive?

Both options would end up costing about the same in the end. The Gear Vendors has a higher initial cost. But the new AOD tranny, flex-plate, torque converter, plus adapter adds up quickly.

My 94 has OD, but it is only a 5.8

You could doublestack T-cases and drop diff ratios, but that is like starting in second all the time. and probably costs most in the end unless you have the right cases just sitting around.

I've seen something like using the T-case as a gear splitter. The one I saw worked kinda like a manually shifted Gear Vendor. The guy had a twin stick in a pick up and worked it like the old twin stick road tractors. Had a three speed manual split into a 6 speed.

I've been looking and I think that the Gear Vendor is the best option out there, but it is just my opinion. Harder to split gears with an automatic transmission, but you can set up the Gear Vendor for an automatic shift once you hit a certain speed, so the van would shift 1st - 2nd - 3rd - 3rd Over, and if pulling a heavy load and wanted to split gears pull the C6 in to 1st and hit the over to shift and when moving the selector to 2nd drop the Gear Vendor back into 1:1, so on and so forth. The C6 and a Gear Vendor would be a strong combo.

The Gear Vendor can bolt to the back of the T-case and only work in 2x4, but like you said, you shouldn't need OD in 4x4. If you did they have a setup to bolt the Gear Vendor between the trans and T-case.

rockbender

Adventurer
Hi Robb - The E4OD was first seen in the E-series in 1989. There were a handful of '89-'91 vans that I was looking at that had that setup. Is your '88 an EFI motor? I'm not sure if that happened at the same time as the tranny change.

I've got a GV in my '84 E350 paired with a C6 and 6.9 diesel. It works well and pretty much as advertised. Don't get me wrong, the whole thing isn't nearly as refined feeling as a more modern transmission but it gets the job done. The GV drops the engine speed about 500 RPM from what I'd be running in direct / 3rd on the C6 and is definitely appreciated on the highway.

I know there are some issues with getting the electronic system matching up on the E4OD, but if you found a donor that could get a bulletproof rebuild and figure out how to make it work, I think that would be a cleaner setup. Another advantage would be having the ability to lock up the torque converter - I really wish I had that.

The GV does work though - not sure if it would be worth it to drop the coin on a new one, but if you found one used at the right price (even if it required an end shaft change) it might be a cool way to go. Remember you'd have to get your driveshaft shortened too.

If you have any other specific questions I can answer, fire away. Are you still enjoying your rig?
cheers,
josh

blupaddler

Conspirator
My rig has the NP205, and I'm EFI. Apparently Ford kept the same transfer case bolt pattern, so that shouldn't be a problem...

The benefit of the E4OD is that it keeps everything Ford. However, I really want to stay away from all the electronics.

Anyone know how much electronics the E4OD carries?

r_w

Adventurer
any newer tranny or the GV add some level of electronics. I think they make a standalone controller for the tranny, thought I saw it in Jegs or Summit. I think it would be worth some $$ to get a locking TC.

nely

Adventurer
They do make a standalone kit. One i found was fully programable from a laptop. If your comp savvy you could go that route.

A quick google search of e4od controller brought up a bunch of choices. They seem to be $400 +

I would think if you got a e4od, engine/trans harness and an 1988 460 automatic ecu you could keep it all plug and play. Maybe your harness has an empty plug that would allow the trans harness to plug in?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I would do a GearVendors without a second glance. It may not be as refined, but you won't find anything stronger than a C6, and adding the GV won't change any of the inharent reliability. I've had a GV on my to-do list for years. With the fuel prices as they are now, it makes the decision much easier. The nice thing about the units that replace the T-Case tailhousing is that all you need to modify is your driveshaft. Everything else you just leave alone. A very nice feature in my opinion.

VANMAN

Observer
E4OD Vs. C6 and GV

I have used both transmissions......C6 ultra strong and with GV should work well/ I currently have an E4OD behind a banks turbo'ed 7.3 and its fine all aound EXCEPT when you push up hills especially big hills...problem with E4OD 1-2 shift fine/too much gap between gears 2-3 and 3-4(OD) so you drop out of powerband on big hills.....SOOO you end up high rpm in lower gear or lugging it higher gear

IF I keep E4OD I'm going to put GV behind it to gear split.....contemplating seriously manual transmission ....and GV behind it....Love the older mechanical diesels but they have a narrow powerband.....gear splitting helps...I have big mountains where I live

BTW you can build an E4OD strong....I have an no problems....seal up the plug computer to transmission...with plastic and tape...dust water screws with shifts....get a good torque converter

VANMAN

Observer
Ran into a guy with the same body style both of us have 1975-1991/he had a 12 valve cummins/NV5600 6 speed and a gear vendors/12 gears actually 11- 1 overlapped ratio's/he said it was great

VANMAN

Observer
Add a 203/205 doubler and you have 24 gear options forward and 3 reverse....and I have thought of that LOL! Note: GV only works in 2 wheel drive....unless you go old style US Gear overdrive (then 36 forward)

ExpoMike

Hey Robb, I remember us talking briefly about GV units when I had my M1010. Having sold it, I never moved forward with that project but I looked at all the options and the GV unit seemed to be the best and easiest way to go. I went to GV and looked at the unit and talked to them. It's a solid unit as long as you don't overload it. In your application, that's not an issue unless you plan to tow 15,000 lbs. trailers.

Biggest advantage outside of the OD is the gear splitting. I figured I wouldn't be using it much in normal driving but in the mountains, being able to have a gear between 2nd and 3rd was going to be perfect. With the limited RPM/power band of the diesel, that 2-3 split was going to be very useful. I would guess a BB Ford has more RPM range but I would still think it would be useful when climbing grades.

Other thing is, it required the least amount of mods to install. Basically shortened rear driveshaft. For me, had I gone with a 4L80E (GM's HD OD trans), I was going to have to modify both driveshafts, move the crossmember and mod the trans and transfer case linkage. All that and I still have a gap between 2nd and 3rd gears, which for me was going to be a big problem.

Also, you can get them to have the output to be a fix flange and run a custom slip driveshaft. This way if you ever needed to remove the rear driveshaft (i.e. damage), you don't have to worry about an open slip yoke output. That was what I was planning on doing

One final note, in my research both talking to people who own them and online, I found very few who were not happy with the GV unit. Most of the unhappy people were ones that bought them used. If you are going to do it, pony up and buy new from GV or a GV dealer. BTW, Camping World is a dealer and with their club membership, I believe you get a fairly good discount on them. I found this out after I sold the M1010. Doh!

If you get one and need a hand installing it, hit me up and I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles