Water seal a 7.3 PSD

City Cruzer

I'm impressed at how high the intake is and the dual batteries. Once I lift my truck 3 to 5 inches..even better. I know that the PCM and IDM need to be sealed btu where are these and any suggestions for sealing them up tight?

I'm not looking for water but in cases where water crossings are inevitable, i do want to be prepared.

What else needs to be sealed up? Are there snorkels made for the F350? Who has them?

Cheers and thanks!

chasespeed

Explorer
Do yourself a favor... go over to powerstrokenation.com, and look in the OBS section.... you will find most of what you are looking for there.... I was going to answer... but, not 100% sure on the OBS trucks...

Chase

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have an ARB Safari Snorkel on my F250 with a 7.3 The instal on this is a little more time consuming than most snorkel fitments. Took the best part of an afternoon to get mine installed.

DSC_0004.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd avoid adding a snorkle or modifying the air intake. I've seen lots of Superduties act very strange after such mods. Compressor stall, weird clapping noises when the wastegate opens, groaning when shifting to 3rd gear accelerating gently onto the interstate.

Not a big deal. But a headache for a few drivers. Besides, not many Superduties can cross anything that'll put water 6" over the front bumper. Snorkle is probaly overkill. I won't cross anything with a 1 ton truck that puts water over the bumper.

Make sure your trans, xfer case, and axle breathers are mounted in a good spot. You can seal up your fuse boxes a little better as well. I put a bead of Permatex Ultra black or similar material around the fuse box lid and let it dry. It should make a nice squishy press seal, but not seal perfectly, just value added. But you have to open that box every once in a while to let condensation out and to check if any water splashed in.

Napa's battery and ignition sealant is nice an clear. It's like a spray can clearcoat. Spray your grounds and battery terminals to keep them rust free.

Last edited:

Martyn

I'd avoid adding a snorkle or modifying the air intake. I've seen lots of Superduties act very strange after such mods. Compressor stall, weird clapping noises when the wastegate opens, groaning when shifting to 3rd gear accelerating gently onto the interstate.

I haven't experienced any of these symptoms with my snorkel. I haven't scoured the internet trying to find out if there have been issues, just never heard of any.

The only thing I have noticed is that you can sometimes hear the air entering the top of the snorkel when the engine is under load. I put that down to the intake being closer to my ears.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Glad it works well. I find it weird that swapping air boxes and intakes deos anything at all to a Superduty. But sometimes it does. The first time I heard the "compressor stall" I thought the truck had a transmission problem. It was a weird vibration, then the pop off valve hit. Like the convertor was slipping or something.

"Oh, that's just my aftermarket air filter again." Was not what I expected to hear next. :Wow1:

City Cruzer

I have an ARB Safari Snorkel on my F250 with a 7.3 The instal on this is a little more time consuming than most snorkel fitments. Took the best part of an afternoon to get mine installed.

DSC_0004.jpg

interesting.. I didn't know ARB made Driver side snorkels. What kind of filter are you using? I imaging the airbox is ARB as well and sealed?

City Cruzer

Not a big deal. But a headache for a few drivers. Besides, not many Superduties can cross anything that'll put water 6" over the front bumper. Snorkle is probaly overkill. I won't cross anything with a 1 ton truck that puts water over the bumper.

Thanks for the good advice Buliwyf. By the way, my truck isn't a SuperDuty. It's a 96' Fourdoor Bronco. Not sure if that makes any difference but don't think it has a wastegate. Also, I'd be interested to hear why you think more than 6" over the bumper would be a problem for a proper prepared SuperDuty, or in my case, and OBS F350.

Martyn

interesting.. I didn't know ARB made Driver side snorkels. What kind of filter are you using? I imaging the airbox is ARB as well and sealed?

The air box and filter remain stock.

The modification is closing off the regular air intake from inside the engine compartment and cutting into the air box on the fender side, and fitting a collar onto it so that it can connect to the outside snorkel.

Don't forget that the primary reasons for a snorkel are to get cold air into the intake for more efficient combustion, and raising the air intake to a position where it get less road dust. The water crossing abilities are further down on the list.

The true reason for the snorkel, as we all know, is to impress people :sombrero: and to provide topics of conversation when everything else fails. In our household I'm accused of draping a slug over the windscreen. I ignore these comments and claim to be having a middle aged crisis.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'll have to look at ARB snorkels again. Sounds like a nice piece of kit if it uses the stock air box. Any worries about te engine breathing through a straw? Has anyone dyno tested their (gas) truck to check AFR? Deos the snorkel also get mounted to the cab at all to prevent shaking on the freeway?

In my area a fullsize slightly lifted with 315-70 R17 tires, won't really cross any of our streams or water holes that are more than bumper deep without getting stuck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior