OXO Good Grips Egg Beater

Yossa

Soz - thread bump!

I would also recommend their potato peelers. They are the dogs doodahs and very efficient, as well as being safe for even the clumsiest, ten-thumb cook. I used to help out at a charity kitchen in the UK and would easily do a couple of 25Kg (55+ Lbs?) sacks in about 40 mins using one. I even had a friend post a few over to Spain from UK, as I missed mine so much! Cost a few bucks, well worth it.

More Oxo stuff here -->

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Maybe we should change the topic to scrambling eggs...

Since cooler/fridge space is often a premium, you shold look into OvaEasy. We met these guys and sampled their product at the Outdoor Retailer show back in August. I was amazed. I could not tell they were powdered eggs.

DSC_5213.JPG

beemerchef

Explorer
That's a novel idea but risky - aren't you concerned about bacterial growth? :Wow1:

Salmonella is a very real possibility for eggs outside of their very sanitary shell. Egg products must be kept at least below 40 degrees at all times and used within a few days and raw eggs brought along for camping should be kept in their shell - period - and used immediately.

I'm not making this up... the egg industry, CDC, and my mom agree. You do what you want but I'm a health care professional and I strongly discourage this practice, if that makes any difference. I've seen the results of this practice and it can be deadly serious in some individuals.

With this practice you risk some serious intestinal discomfort within 12-72 hours... unless you enjoy squatting in the great outdoors on a frequent basis. Step back from the blender-bottle buddy!

I have to disagree with that statement. The "egg industry" has to be cautious. This is very overrated. I have stored eggs at room temperature (cool, shade... no direct sun) for 10 days at the time with no problem. I have done this all my Life... Also when living on a sailboat to keep them even longer we would melt wax and coat them.
These past 5 years on the road, never been sick from such eggs.
The same truly applies to meats, chicken, cooked or raw. You best steak is the one coated with oil and hang for about 3 days... then grilled. I know it sounds gross, but, have you ever seen the chickens in the Chinese Markets? It is all about decomposing and firing up the bacterias...
I am not making this up. Come and camp with us sometime...
Be well... always.
Ara and Spirit

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I have to disagree with that statement. The "egg industry" has to be cautious. This is very overrated. I have stored eggs at room temperature (cool, shade... no direct sun) for 10 days at the time with no problem. I have done this all my Life... Also when living on a sailboat to keep them even longer we would melt wax and coat them.
These past 5 years on the road, never been sick from such eggs.
The same truly applies to meats, chicken, cooked or raw. You best steak is the one coated with oil and hang for about 3 days... then grilled. I know it sounds gross, but, have you ever seen the chickens in the Chinese Markets? It is all about decomposing and firing up the bacterias... I am not making this up. Come and camp with us sometime...
Be well... always.
Ara and Spirit

You may disagree but you're still wrong. I believe you did all those things to preserve food and I recall a lot of practices when I was a kid that are now found to be taboo. Even grew up in a farming region where we slaughtered in the open air and kept eggs in a bowl in the kitchen and butter on the counter. I don't recall ever becoming ill but do have memories of wonderful meals and delicious sausages. But we know more now then what we did then, right?

My source was the Center for Disease Control and the US Department of Agriculture. These pesky scientists come up with experiments and studies, and they analyze data from reported illnesses and come up with these hair-brained recommendations. The collection of disease and disability incidents and their subsequent analysis culminated in these recommendations to reduce the incidence of food-borne illness. If you choose to not observe their recommendations that's one thing, but if you're advocating that the rest of the readers follow your lead - I think that's irresponsible. High heat simply doesn't kill all the bacteria or the products of their destruction. I suppose hand-washing is irrelevant to controlling the spread of disease, too? Nobody ever died of dirt...

Yes, I have been in markets in China, Hong Kong, Korea, Indonesia, Malayasia, Thailand, Phillipines, Sri Lanka, Japan, Australia, KSA, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq, Oman, UAE, France, Germany, Belgium, England, and even Canada. In some of those countries a significant portion of the population succumbs to food-borne disease. Because of improper food handling and preparation, among other environmental factors, their populations have inceased mortality rates and many fail to survive beyond the age of 50. I guess when you see first-hand the results of improper food handling at the small unit-level or in an entire population, you tend to error on the side of caution. Personally, the thought of myself being the cause of an others illness through my inaction is abhorrent.

I appreciate the culinary success you've enjoyed in your past travels and still offer caution on your practices. I've actually seen you and your partner a couple years ago in Amado; I would enjoy camping with you and your pup sometime, but I'll heed your advice to "be well" and kindly decline to share your chow. Nothing personal...

Last edited:

beemerchef

Explorer
"but if you're advocating that the rest of the readers follow your lead"

Hi TangoBLue... no, I really do not "advocate", that would be a huge mistake. The Food Industry HAS to be on the cautious side, too many Attorneys are hungry these day. I myself have to be also if I am going to give presentations and have others follow suit.
I am sorry if I worded it wrong. It is "what I do", again with caution. I maintain that balance of weather on ingredients. If ever camping in 110 degree weather, well of course I do not buy eggs... I am trying (does not work all the time!) to stay away from any processed food and only using local fare.
If you camp with us... I will make sure we have refrigeration, or use yours...
You take care and "be well".
Ara and Spirit

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
"but if you're advocating that the rest of the readers follow your lead"

Hi TangoBLue... no, I really do not "advocate", that would be a huge mistake. The Food Industry HAS to be on the cautious side, too many Attorneys are hungry these day. I myself have to be also if I am going to give presentations and have others follow suit.
I am sorry if I worded it wrong. It is "what I do", again with caution. I maintain that balance of weather on ingredients. If ever camping in 110 degree weather, well of course I do not buy eggs... I am trying (does not work all the time!) to stay away from any processed food and only using local fare.
If you camp with us... I will make sure we have refrigeration, or use yours...
You take care and "be well".
Ara and Spirit

No worries Ara! My take-away from your marvelous experiences is planning for the environment, exploring the local cuisine, and taking advantage of locally available products on your travels. What better way to immerse yourself in the culture than sampling their food, grown, harvested, or prepared in their environment, using their methods and techniques for preparation, all purchased in their local markets. From my memory of your posts I'd say you advocate 'engagement;' with people and the environment.

Oh... and there's space in my fridge for your chow any time!

4xdog

Explorer
is this true for pasteurized eggs also ?

Even though the starting material may be pasteurized -- or sterilized, even -- doesn't make it not a food. The material *will* inoculated, just by exposure to the air, and bacteria happily *will* grow on sterile media if it's an appropriate food. An egg is perfect.

Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior