My Jack of all trades trailer build.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Im gonna start by saying, I am just not use to not having a pick up truck in my life. But with the down turn in the economy, and my shop just not producing the kind of numbers I was use to, I had to make some choices, I needed a service truck for the shop and had little cash. So my choice was sell me 02 Dodge 2500 slt, or my 72 IH scout. For me it was a no brainer, I was not parting with my scout. So the Dodge was sent down the road and a new service truck found for the shop. So by now you asking, what does this have to do with a trailer. Well I need something for firewood, that would tow well behind the scout. I find an old Boston Edison ( remeber the Edison co.s )? Real trailer, 4x6 box, with a nice long toung and the real carryer already cut out of the bed. First thibg I did was change the hubs out to match the scouts 5 on 5 1/2. a set of scout ralley wheels, and a set of 30 x 9.5 s. Thats where it stoped. untill last week. I pulled my little tent trailer out of the yard to get ready for a weekend away come oct 20th. only to find between the ants, and the mice it was a reck. So I start thinking, put a lid on the trailer and an rtt, no, I dont want to find a place for the lid when I am hauling firewwod. Plus I have noware inside to store an rtt when Im not using it, and I dont want to deal with the mouse thing again.So what to do, Ive always thought about a teardrop, but Im starting to think I dont want to have more that one trailer any more. Then it hit me, how about melding a teardrop, and a slide in truck camper into one unit! Yup I started building tonight. When its done it wont be much more than a bed on wheels, but thats all I need. Ill have photos once I find out how to post them, but I should have it framed out by tomorrow nite. ( im allready half way through the frameing ) I am using whats around my shop, mostly 1x1 steel welded up. Ill put it on when Im ready to travel, and it will sit in the yard when I dont need it. Any thoughts on my crazy idear ? I would love to hear them.

brianwj

Observer
I did something like that with my build since I didn't want two trailers in my yard. Mine is just a storage box that holds all my gear for trips then I take it off the trailer and put it on a stand. Good luck with your build.

Attachments

• CIMG0432.jpg
    CIMG0432.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • CIMG0442.jpg
    CIMG0442.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89

Bandit

Hi Paul
Is that the trailer in front of Your house ?
After putting Two and Two together and coming up with 5 ( In Wellesley they use the math method that what ever You get for an answer is the right one so You don't feel left behind ) . After reading the forum for a while , I just realized that I go by Your house from 2 to 4 or more times a day .
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94