Xenon, HID head lights on 2006 Dodge Trucks

sisu

Adventurer
I've been reading about replacement head lights on Dodge trucks and the problems getting them to work. Just wondering if any Dodge owners here have replaced their head lights with these units. The units I've seen on line have options of HID, or Xenon. Now the problems I've read involve lights not working longer than 1 minute then going into a blink stage to finally shutting down.

I wouldn't mind spending the bucks on a good replacement head light system, but if it involves lots of monkey business then I'd rather ad extra lighting to my ranchhand bumper.

bldeagle10

Explorer
shouldn't be expensive, 35 bucks for a kit from DDM...most expensive part would be projector housings. and if you need any special wiring...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Not easy to do with legal results though.
And it's the truck's pwm circuits that causes the problem. It's easy enough to obviate but still doesn't make the retrofit work well or legal.

Fit some better bulbs and get the supplemental lights. Go to candlepowerforum in the automotive section if you need help picking a good bulb. Scheinwerfermann or Alaric will point you in the right direction.

beast1210

Adventurer
Not easy to do with legal results though.
And it's the truck's pwm circuits that causes the problem. It's easy enough to obviate but still doesn't make the retrofit work well or legal.

Fit some better bulbs and get the supplemental lights. Go to candlepowerforum in the automotive section if you need help picking a good bulb. Scheinwerfermann or Alaric will point you in the right direction.

I second that.

Code Monkey

Observer
To be legal, at least for the street, I believe the lights have to be self leveling, which makes them really expensive.

My plan is to get them as aux. lights - i.e., not mounted in place of the stock headlamps, and then I will only use them when either there is nobody else on the road, or when I am in the back country.

19psi

The Devil Made Me
Legality isn't really an issue around here, so everyone uses them. I have found that the easiest way to make them work is to just make your own circuit with a relay and either trigger them off the parking light circuit or run yor own switch.

Buffalo

HID's in halogen housings are not legal. Does not matter what state/province you are in. The big problem is that you'll be dazzling/glaring other drivers will on the road, and you're not going to see that much better.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Recently,the company that manufactures the Brite Box was appealing for 3rd gen Dodge owners to volunteer their trucks for a replacement HID system they are developing. They are in SoCal.

I'm not a big fan of these lights on the street as they blind me even in the day when not properly aimed.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Recently,the company that manufactures the Brite Box was appealing for 3rd gen Dodge owners to volunteer their trucks for a replacement HID system they are developing. They are in SoCal.

I'm not a big fan of these lights on the street as they blind me even in the day when not properly aimed.

And they're NEVER properly aimed.

Fact is, HID's in the vast majority of halogen housings will just send the light all over the place. I have a HID conversion in my Audi's projector low beams and I had my GF drive behind me in the Audi with me in her car, just to make sure they weren't a danger.

There's a reason the Rover is never gonna get HID's - they turn you into a jerk every time you turn on your lights. Please don't be that guy!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
HID's in halogen housings are not legal. Does not matter what state/province you are in. The big problem is that you'll be dazzling/glaring other drivers will on the road, and you're not going to see that much better.
Correct.

Besides, depending on the reflector and bulbs, you can do pretty well with the new halogens. Well enough that when you compare relative CRI percentages, you're nearly at the same lumen count without blinding anybody or having any silly blue/white glow.

I just looked up the truck; does it really have a pair of H13s for headlights?
Ick.

If so, this bulb is the best legal drop-in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online