1994 80 series with a new heart= 1hdt... Diesel Cruiser

Lacey and I have come to the US for a couple of months to take care of personal stuff, to attend a few events and visit much neglected family and friends. Since my Landcruiser is still in Ecuador some (not many) of you may wonder what am I going to be driving while I am in the US? I know most of you do not care, but the answer is so cool I have to share it here on ExPo.

My friend Chris (Lynchmob in MUD) is a diesel Landcruiser guy (or guru?) and he is currently building an 80 series with a 1HDT. Here are some pics of the truck... you might not think this is that great, but ever since I switched to my diesel 60 I am a diesel convert and diesel evangelist.

One of the coolest LandCruiser diesels
IMG_0825.jpg

The engine and auto tranny waiting to go in
IMG_0827.jpg

This is the truck prepped for paint job... the vehicle had a complete body wrap, which according to Chris was a very large PITA to remove
IMG_0845.jpg

In the following pic it has a slight stink bug stance, but keep in mind it is getting a 4x4Labs rear bumper with swingaways. The wheels are receiving a powder coating so the ones on this pic are loaners.
IMG_0850.jpg

The jambs look pretty good
IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

I think the truck looks great with this color, even though it looks like an Xterra color. I will post more pics as the truck gets completed and those of you planning on attending the Hollister Overland Rally event will get to see it and more importantly hear it :)

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Looks great Luis. I dig the color now that i see it with my eyes, instead of thinking "Xterra". Keep us in the loop as progress goes!

Looking good, can't wait to see it in person. I hope that the new paint job will be paired with black body pieces.

Is your guru buddy going to be offering these conversions? I'm curious as to what it might cost someday...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
That is such a great motor, I love my 1HZ and can really lust after the 1HDT
and with an auto trans it would be a killer combo.
Funny how these setups are for sale from the factory but here in the US we have to piece it together.

Great project and looking forward to updates

60Dan

Explorer
This is awesome thanks for posting up.
I too like many others have lusted over a diesel, and a few months back managed to source a 1hd-ft with a 5 speed manual that is currently being swapped into my 80. :smiley_drive:
I owned a diesel 60 that was built by lynchmob. I wanted him to do this swap for me but it was just too far to ship.
Post up pics and videos of the truck as and when you can

Thanks everyone.

Hey Dan, do you have a thread for your 80 swap? Who is doing it?

It has been raining and cloudy most of the time since I arrived in Portland, so I have not taken more pics.

We are in the process of putting all the trim and seals back together, we got the flares back from Line-X and I think they look good, we got the all black powder coated wheels and they definitely look good. I will hopefully be outta here by Monday at the latest. I will be heading to 4x4Labs in Grass Valley to pick up a new rear bumper with swingaways... I hope I do not fall in love with this 80, I feel like I am cheating on my 60 :)

60Dan

Explorer
Dont worry, Im sure your 60 will forgive you ;)

Well after much research I decided to go with Proffitts. Doing this type of swap for them is almost like second nature ... well not quite, but they have done quite a few!
I wanted it done right the first time and after many a conversation with John at Proffitts, Im confident it was the right choice.

No pics as of yet, as things have got off to a slow start, but I will post a few when it gets back, which should be in the next couple of months.

My wheels are powder coated also, I think you will be happy with that decision. I also have the dual swing outs too (home made). Ive got a friend who had the 4x4 labs rear on his 80 series, and the quality is awesome!

What diesel engine do you have in your 60?
Mine was a 3B with an H55 manual that I eventually turbo'd - while it was fun, I felt that my 60 with all its ARB goodies on, was a little too heavy for the 3B

Jeremiah and his gang at Proffit's are a great bunch. I am partial to Chris for a swap, but I would have Proffits do a Stage 2 for sure. You will be happy with the swap from them for sure!

My 60 has a 12HT and it is a perfect match. Check it out some pics of our rig here.

BTW this 80 is not mine, I wish but I can't afford it (one diesel LandCruiser is enough for most and mine is awesome). It is Chris' current build and it will be for sale after I am done driving it around for a while (Hollister, SEMA and Surf&Turf), unless he decides to keep it :)

No more pics yet. I drove from Chris' place in Portland, Oregon to 4x4Labs in Grass Valley, California. Yesterday I sandblasted the new rear bumper and the 2 swingaways, then dropped them off at the powder coating place... this truck will be almost complete with this bumper... still some details here and there and some major interior detailing.

Will take pics after the bumper install and then plenty of photos at Hollister Hills Overland Rally!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier