New Member, Picture of my 1997 Montero SR, looking for parts list rebuild front end

DougOhio2011

First post. I've done some basic stuff, need to get rid of the bumpy noise in the front. Looking for a parts list. I prefer the upgraded parts, suggestions would be appreciated. Here is the latest pic.

Attachments

• 1997 Montero SR.jpg
    1997 Montero SR.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 122
Looks great, I too need to make a list for rebuilding the front of my 1991. I personally recommend getting your parts from rockauto.com Quite often the front end parts I get from them are OEM or Moog. Typically the OEM Mitsubishi front end parts are good for 200-300K miles. For instance I bought an idler arm from rockauto.com for $6 for my 1991 Montero. When it came in the mail it was an OEM part with a K#. The Mitsubishi dealer wanted $146 for the exact same idler arm.

I will help you start your list.

-2 completely rebuilt CV axles. I would not try to rebuild the ones you have.
-Upper and lower ball joint for both sides
-Idler arm
-Pitman Arm
-Tie rods
-Manual hubs from tuffpans.com
-New poly bushings

I am sure there are more things to do, but its a good start.

scrubber3

Not really here
I'd say whatever is worn out to replace. Definitely need to put some manual locking hubs up there though. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the front drive train. I just did it to mine when I replaced the front axles. Should also give you a bit better gas mileage due to less resistance. BTW love the black on the bottom and the rims. I did that to mine as well and it really modernizes the look.

off-roader should chime in soon. He has a mound of knowledge on the SR.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
First post. I've done some basic stuff, need to get rid of the bumpy noise in the front. Looking for a parts list. I prefer the upgraded parts, suggestions would be appreciated. Here is the latest pic.
When do you hear the bumpy noise? whenever it's moving, or just when turning? determines what to consider. I could be the worn sway bar bushings. It may also be the front suspension simply needs to be lubed. The FSM (Factory Service Manual) shows you all the lube points. There are over a dozen so make sure you hit them all.

If you have a shop lube it, don't rely on their knowledge. I keep copies of the lube point (zirk fittings) page in the FSM in my rig and hand it to the local lube place that does my oil changes. Yes, I can do that myself but I'm lazy, don't want the mess or having to dispose of the oil, and can afford the $30 or so to have them do it. I also check that the motor oil spec either matches or supersedes the original spec. I don't use oils that 'exceed' the spec. In marketing speak, simply 'exceeding' a spec means they probably haven't actually tested & certified the oil to meet it.

BTW, if you haven't already, visit mitsubishi links dot com and download the FSM for your rig.

off-roader should chime in soon. He has a mound of knowledge on the SR.
LOL, not sure about that mound. If it is a mound it potentially cr_p LOL!! I will be the last to say I'm any kind of expert. Over the past decade of owning several I have read/learned a lot of things about mitsu 4x4's (Montero's & Raider's mostly... not so much Montero Sports, Mighty Max's, etc.) and mostly from forums like the old vmag forums, 4x4wire, and ExPo.

betting the clunk is worn sway bar links or bushings.
Good suggestion. Definitely worth checking out. The last I recall those bushings are only ~$20 from a dealer/stealer. Not worth 'upgrading' them to poly bushings since the original ones lasted longer than you'll probably own the vehicle.

DougOhio2011

I hear the bump and some popping when I turn the wheel at slow speed. Usually when I'm backing out or pulling into my driveway or parking spot. I also get some vibration at speed on the highway. Thanks for the suggestions. Should I just buy OEM parts or is there any advantage buying aftermarket upgrades. I read some posts about Old Man Emu parts, but that seems like overkill for what I need, even though I liked what I read about their shocks. My SR is 90% on the road.

I read a lot of posts before I bought my SR two years ago. I was looking at the Toyotas, but read the forum about SRs and was hooked. The styling is pretty current, my friends are surprised when I tell them it is a 1997. The black out satin lower did update the look.

scrubber3

Not really here
That sounds like cv axles to me. As far as vibration, I'd check to see if the tires were properly balanced. I just changed out my cv axles with some from autozone. They are remanufatured but so are most available and at 59 dollars each it was a great deal. BTW they have a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Almost forgot... Here is a picture of mine
143.JPG144.JPG I blacked out my hood and front grill as well. Did it with bedliner, but the wheels I did with wheel paint flat black of course.

DougOhio2011

Thanks. Great looking truck, I almost did the hood, but my body guy talked me out of it. I'll take your advice on the cv axles.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
A shimmy in the front wheels is probably your steering system slop or a badly worn tire.

A pop when you turn the wheels and the suspension articulates is something in your suspension.

The CV's click when turning before they start making louder sounds. They don't click when going straight. Inspect the CV boot for tears. If it's torn up then it could they allowed water in and dirt thus they're wearing out.

HTH.

Jenkinsjsn

1999 montero SR

i cant help you but maybe you can help me. i have my 1999 montero SR that needs an a/c compressor but i dont have d old one to know what it looks like or even the part number. Can anyone help me find that compressor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke