Tator Tots

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
Tator tots make excellent hashbrowns, especially the onion flavored ones. Once they start cooking with a little oil and butter in a frying pan, just chop them up a little. There easy to pack, you can take as many as you want.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

The problem with a lot of pre-made frozen foods, like hash browns, is the tend to stick together and it is hard to get the right amount out of the bag! We actually do similar things at home and freeze individual portions instead of one large mass of stuff. This makes prep time in the field much faster!

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I like using the frozen O'Brien potatoes in a breakfast skillet. I brown a pound of breakfast sausage, then dump in the O'Brien mix and brown it. Then I push all of it to the back of the skillet, slide the skillet back so it's half off the burner, and scramble a dozen eggs in the front. Then mix it all together and melt some shredded Colby Jack onto it.

That's for large groups.

If it's just the family, I'll brown the pound of sausage, but remove most of it and put it in the fridge to cool. Then I'll follow the above procedure with part of the o'Brien mix and a few eggs.

After the leftover sausage cools I add it to the leftover O'Brien mix and put it back in the freezer for next time.

The O'Brien mix has broken apart pretty well for me, so far.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Tater Tots come out great in the Dutch oven.

A potato bake also comes out great in the Dutch as well. Preheat the oven for a little while with some butter or grease dujour in the bottom. Throw in a goodly amount of potatoes O'brien, generous handful of bacon/sausage, pour 5 scrambled eggs over, and top with shreaded cheese.
Bake at about 325 for a half hour.
Heaven.

Breakfast pizza in the Dutch.
Preheat the oven with a smear of olivel oil coating the inside. Spread out a Pilsbury pizza dough (cans are near the biscuits in your grocer's fridge). Take 4 scrambled eggs and mix with 8 ounces of shredded cheese; spoon/spread this on the dough. Top with sliced Roma tomatoes, slices of pre-cooked bacon, a handful of mushrooms.
Bake until browned on top, maybe 30-40 minutes. Comes out alot like quiche.
Yum.

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
Dirty eggs

I like using the frozen O'Brien potatoes in a breakfast skillet. I brown a pound of breakfast sausage, then dump in the O'Brien mix and brown it. Then I push all of it to the back of the skillet, slide the skillet back so it's half off the burner, and scramble a dozen eggs in the front. Then mix it all together and melt some shredded Colby Jack onto it.

That's for large groups.

If it's just the family, I'll brown the pound of sausage, but remove most of it and put it in the fridge to cool. Then I'll follow the above procedure with part of the o'Brien mix and a few eggs.

After the leftover sausage cools I add it to the leftover O'Brien mix and put it back in the freezer for next time.

The O'Brien mix has broken apart pretty well for me, so far.

For a lot of people I do a similair thing as shown for large groups, though I normaly used a few baked potatoes prepared the night before. My kids all call it "dirty eggs"and the name has stuck.

lowenbrau

Explorer
If you like shredded hashbrowns it really only takes a minute to shred potatoes yourself with a coarse cheese grater. I'm embarrassed about how many years and bags of frozen hash-browns I went though before I learned this.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Got to say too

whats wrong with real onions and potatoes-

last longer - don't need refridgeration -
don't have e-numbers-
saturated fats and all the rest of the manufactured garbage.

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
Real Food?

Got to say too

whats wrong with real onions and potatoes-

last longer - don't need refridgeration -
don't have e-numbers-
saturated fats and all the rest of the manufactured garbage.

I had to go off course for a minute, where do you get real food in america? unless you grow it for yourself from a known water source and use your own fertilizer it more than likley says global. Onions from Mexico, Bacon from Canada, Orange juice from Brazil. So enjoy your real breakfest made with imported butter and oil, and then let's all take back America from all the greed!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94