My '92 Subaru Loyale project car

CMiller

Adventurer
New to this forum. I've read here about people's different Subaru overland projects so I thought to post mine. I have a full write up on this forum link: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103355 with pictures and everything that I've done to it.

319902_10150337460188010_788608009_8117600_1084935814_n.jpg

On top of Benett Peak in the Wallowas, where no Subaru has gone before!
315984_10150305167983010_788608009_7922224_471856_n.jpg

Subarus make great light weight overland vehicles if you do the necessary mods to make it strong and capable. I went with this Loyale because of several reasons.
First its lightweight and makes a great base platform for off road accessories.
Second its a fantastic candidate for common Subaru swaps to a more off road focus.

Subaru in the US doesn't import their EJ series dual range gearbox which comes on the Forester in other markets so you have to go with an EA series dual range which the Loyale being an EA series car drops right in. That now gives you 4HI/4Lo, and 2WD. And Low range is one of the best things to have in an overland rig like this.

I added a limited slip rear differential, disk brakes all around, dropped in a bigger EJ22 (2.2 liter motor), 4" lift kit, stiffer progressive wound King Springs and beefier struts, lots of body armor underneath, Primitive Racing front and rear skidplates.

Now I'm currently working on the electrics. Installing a National Luna Dual Battery Kit for an ARB fridge, tidying up all of the AUX lights, and installing on board air.

Even though this is a wagon, cargo space is still snug on longer trips. So a roof rack was in order. I went with a Yakima set up, Load Warrior basket w/ extension, Tire Mount, Hi-Lift mount, Shovel and Axe mount, and a triple Jerry can holder.

305284_10150348746298010_788608009_8180144_1543632411_n.jpg

on the WABDR September 2011

Fully loaded with me and passenger for a trip the vehicle comes in at 3200lbs. and I still get 22 mpg on the trails! I'll have some more pics to add soon with my winter projects for the rig including the dual battery set up, new front bumper to accept a winch, and a rear tire carrier . Please ask questions or read through the thread I posted a link to above for the complete build.

-Chris

Last edited:

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
Nice rig Chris...got a question for you...what is that silver aluminum thing hanging down in the front of your Sub?

JJ

CMiller

Adventurer
Nice rig Chris...got a question for you...what is that silver aluminum thing hanging down in the front of your Sub?

JJ

That's my 3/16" thick aluminum skid plate. Since it has a bigger motor in it and a 4"lift on a unibody the oil pan needs some protection. I have 11" of clearance in the front and 12" in the rear at the lowest points and I'm only on 195 75 R14 BFG All Terrains. As soon as those wear out I'm going to 27" BFG AT's which will give another inch or so.

CMiller

Adventurer
Planning on making some brackets to mount all of the bits for the dual battery install this week, then wire it up this weekend. I'll be sure to post up some pictures.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I saw your car last August or September at the Rally Cross in Hillsboro. Great ride (I event took a picture of it!). My good friend in Wisconsin has a Loyale he's building up, too.
- Andy

CMiller

Adventurer
I saw your car last August or September at the Rally Cross in Hillsboro. Great ride (I event took a picture of it!). My good friend in Wisconsin has a Loyale he's building up, too.
- Andy

Hey great! Its now retired from rally cross and being replaced with a first gen Impreza. But I still do an occasional gravel TSD Rally with it. I'm going to bring it to the Mt. Hood Rally next weekend on the 22nd and do some volunteering.

By the way the brush guard on it is an old product WARN made for the Subaru Brat to fit a 3000lb winch on. I've even still got the original papers that were included. I'm working on a new bumper solution this winter to get a winch mounted, possibly looking at one of your big ATV winches or a small 6000lb one. I plan on using it in combination with a snatch block. Any suggestions? Hope to see you around Andy!

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
By the way the brush guard on it is an old product WARN made for the Subaru Brat to fit a 3000lb winch on. I've even still got the original papers that were included. I'm working on a new bumper solution this winter to get a winch mounted, possibly looking at one of your big ATV winches or a small 6000lb one. I plan on using it in combination with a snatch block. Any suggestions? Hope to see you around Andy!

No kidding? That's pretty cool. We make a 4,000 lb. ATV winch (RT40) with wire rope and one with synthetic (XT40), too. Ditto that in 3,000 lb. capacity.
I'll be interested to see your bumper; my buddy (I think he's registered here; I sent him a link to this thread) is looking for a bumper for his Loyale, too.

-Andy

Duder

Really cool wagon man; looks like fun! I had an '86 GL10 wagon and this is bringing back memories. It was good basic transportation for a college student, and even though it was 2WD I would occasionally pretend to be a rally driver and drift around on dirt roads.

One time I came around a corner a bit too fast, lost all traction in the front and hit a 6-foot tall pile of dirt head on at about 20mph. I had 3 passengers in the car...just turned around in my seat and said "we're here" and shut it off. It sustained no damage whatsoever.

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
That is a super cool ride you got there Chris! I love overland vehicles you don't see everyday. :ylsmoke:

Sebas

Adventurer
wow! your car looks great! you have more specs and pics of your car? (please more pics :drool: ), the rims are a puegeot 505?? size? the tires are a BF AT? great great car!

Greetings!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier