Any "real" import/customs experts on this board?

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
gjackson said:
In the case we're talking about here I cannot agree more that coming in through Canada is the way to go. Only issue may be legal tags. Don't know what the laws are in VA, but in Colorado with a title I could get paper tags. Crossing the CA/US border with paper tags and title in hand shouldn't be a problem.

cheers
I don't think getting tags would be a problem. When I moved from VA to GA, registration papers or tilte and proof of insurance was enough, nobody wanted to see the vehicles or wanted to have the VA plates. So y'all think getting it into Canada would be easier?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The Swiss said:
I don't think getting tags would be a problem. When I moved from VA to GA, registration papers or tilte and proof of insurance was enough, nobody wanted to see the vehicles or wanted to have the VA plates. So y'all think getting it into Canada would be easier?

Michael

It's all theoretical right? You wouldn't actually be trying to do it? :)

Canada to the USA would be the easiest. Now all you have to worry about is getting it into Canada. They also have tight import regulations.

There is always Mexico, or even better Cuba to Mexico! You could fill the Landy full of cigars!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
Michael

It's all theoretical right? You wouldn't actually be trying to do it? :)
Men should dream. And sometimes, men should have the b@lls to make the dreams come true. Yes, for now, it is all theoretical. As I said initially, for me, everything has to be legal. I am not interested at all in doing anything shady. Finding loopholes and using them to my advantage however is a different story...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I also think coming through Canada is your best bet.

your challenge then would be to go into Canada. You will need to do it with your US tags/licence/registration/title. if you do it with your Swiss papers, then I believe you would need a "Carnet de Passage" to prove that you are not importing it into Canada.

Unless of course if you wanted to do so. If the Land Rover is 15 years or older, you could easily and legally import it into Canada.

I have heard before of cars being "legally" registered in 2 countries. Yours would obviously never be totally legal in the US as it never got through DOT and EPA, but you wouldn't be the first one...

overlander

Expedition Leader
I agree. Go the Canada route. It's the POE's where DOT and EPA get in the weeds.

Personnally, I like the cuba cigar pickup plan the best.:costumed-smiley-007

gjackson

FRGS
your challenge then would be to go into Canada. You will need to do it with your US tags/licence/registration/title. if you do it with your Swiss papers, then I believe you would need a "Carnet de Passage" to prove that you are not importing it into Canada.

Just because you are POEing in Canada doesn't mean you are importing it into Canada. You POE there, tell Ca customs you are going into the US and drive South. You will have plates and title in hand. Ca is just transit. If that doesn't work out, do a temp import into Ca. Just like the 12 month US temp import. Then when you leave Ca just make sure you export it again. Either way Ca is a transit point and . . .

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles